Page 1 of 9 1235 ... LastLast

Thread: November Comic Book Thread

1. November Comic Book Thread

Thought I'd get this started.

The Powers arc continues tomorrow and I'm really looking foward to it. This storyline will be a great read when I can sit down and read it in its entirety.

Since I missed the second issue of Huik:Gray I'll grab that too.

If you guys wanna see what Marvel has planned in Jauary check out this link. You Avengers fans, dig the Cassady cover. I dislike Reiber, but I'll give his run a shot just for the delicious covers that are sure to come. http://www.popcultureshock.com/features.php?id=37

Guys, what was the last issue of The Ultimates to come out? 11 or 12? Please say 12, so I can run out an look for it.

2. I picked up the first 3 comics I've read in... oh, it's been a long time. I did notice, though, that I didn't see Deadpool on the racks. Has this title been killed? I really liked it... I didn't think Deadpool was nearly as funny as he was when he got his first miniseries years ago, but I liked it a lot... until Udon took over. I bought the first issue of that, and was done with it.

I got the new issue of X-Statix with Spiderman on the cover. I stopped reading this title while it was still X-Force, right before Edie died. I really loved it, and it's still awesome. I plan on buying some TPBs to get myself caught up and to have the issues I have at home condensed. Still really good stuff.

I also bought the last two issues of Venom, and I really like the way Venom's being drawn now. Very big, very meanacing, scary! I dig. But the end of this current issue makes me think we could see something I've always wanted to see as a kid...

VENOM WOLVERINE?!?!?! COME ON, PLEASE, DO IT! Has this ever appeared in a comic prior to this? When I was young I was totally obsessed with the idea, and if they do it, even for an issue, I'll be thrilled.

I hope. I hope. I hope. Anyway, I've been away from this stuff for far too long, but I was shocked that there's a new US War Machine series. That MAX line had some cool shit, but god, that first series was putrid. Terrible everything! Make some recommendations! I miss comics.

3. These covers rock:

[thumbnail]http://www.popcultureshock.com/features/37/1_7.jpg[/thumbnail]
    [thumbnail]http://www.popcultureshock.com/features/37/6_10.jpg[/thumbnail]
    [thumbnail]http://www.popcultureshock.com/features/37/2_2.jpg[/thumbnail]
    [thumbnail]http://www.popcultureshock.com/features/37/2_9.jpg[/thumbnail]
    [thumbnail]http://www.popcultureshock.com/features/37/1_4.jpg[/thumbnail]

Good to see Larocca using Igor Kordey's updated costumes. Some say that black leather doesn't translate well into comics the same way colorful ones don't on film but I disagree they look awesome since they represent the darker corners of the MU. It would be cool to have some colored trims though like the movie.

I'm hoping both the Shadow king and Psylocke come back in the upcoming 'Bogan' arc.

BTW Ultimates is up to #11, #12 has yet to come out.

4. How could you leave out that Cassady cover, Will? For shame...

5. Quote Originally Posted by Grave
    I picked up the first 3 comics I've read in... oh, it's been a long time. I did notice, though, that I didn't see Deadpool on the racks. Has this title been killed? I really liked it... I didn't think Deadpool was nearly as funny as he was when he got his first miniseries years ago, but I liked it a lot... until Udon took over. I bought the first issue of that, and was done with it.
    Yeah the Joe Kelly/Ed McGuinness run was awesome, I wish there was a trade collecting them. Udon and Gail Simione took over and Marvel called it Agent X because from what I hear Liefeld didn't want the DP name or something on it since he left. I'd definitely snatch up the whole Agent X collected trade whenever it comes out to see what I've missed. Satsuki's a fan heh.

I got the new issue of X-Statix with Spiderman on the cover. I stopped reading this title while it was still X-Force, right before Edie died. I really loved it, and it's still awesome. I plan on buying some TPBs to get myself caught up and to have the issues I have at home condensed. Still really good stuff.
    I bought it along that same time as well but I stopped buying it because I had a ton of books with little money at the time so unfortunately I dropped it. I'll get the trades one day but its a fantastic series full of shock.

I also bought the last two issues of Venom, and I really like the way Venom's being drawn now. Very big, very meanacing, scary! I dig. But the end of this current issue makes me think we could see something I've always wanted to see as a kid...

VENOM WOLVERINE?!?!?! COME ON, PLEASE, DO IT! Has this ever appeared in a comic prior to this? When I was young I was totally obsessed with the idea, and if they do it, even for an issue, I'll be thrilled.

I hope. I hope. I hope. Anyway, I've been away from this stuff for far too long, but I was shocked that there's a new US War Machine series. That MAX line had some cool shit, but god, that first series was putrid. Terrible everything! Make some recommendations! I miss comics.
    I missed the first couple of issues of Venom so I decided not to buy it. I'll definitely get the Wolverine crossover. Its unfortunate Marvel won't TPB the Tsunami line books since almost all of them are awesome.

War Machine I bought the first couple of issues, it was bi-weekly at the time and looked very manga'ish but I wasn't digging it that much.

Its cool to see you buying some books again

As far as recommendations go get the Ultimate line of Marvel books. All of them are in trade paperback format up until the recent stuff. Its basically a new line of re-conceptionalizing the X-Men, Avengers, Spiderman books but to today's era and to the fans who dug the Marvel movies. They remain true to their roots but just fresher.

First off get Ultimate X-Men 'The Tomorrow People' trade paperback by Mark Millar, Adam Kubert and Art Thibert, friggin awesome quality stuff and you'll see some badass Magneto/Wolverine/X-Men scenes the movies would be wise to follow with regards to Sentinels.

Second get the first Ultimates TPB called 'Super Human'. You can get it either here (look under 'Graphic Novels') or browse through the first few issues through the web here.

I also recommend getting the first 2 Ultimate Spiderman Hardcovers collecting ia ton of issues. Trades are out after those which should catch you up unless there are Hardcovers 3 and 4. All the trades I listed are on that same store link for a relatively good price if you don't feel like going to a far shop.

As far as DC titles go, Batman #620 came out last week and is a perfect starting point since its a new creative team. The new Teen Titans book is incredibly good but these issues are hard as fuck to find over here at least(I missed issue #1) so wait for a trade paperback.

Superman is pretty mediocre but jump on when Azzarello and Jim Lee jump on as I'm more excited to see what Azzarello will do with it than Jim Lee's art. Then there's JLA, currently its a pretty damn good with 'The Burning' so a trade of this collected arc would be good to buy. Before 'The Burning' it was pretty hit and miss with 'The Obsidian Age' which confused the fuck out of me(and also on TPB).

Image/Dreamwave I'll tell you more if you want me to.

Hope that helps.
    Quote Originally Posted by BEBOPlover
    How could you leave out that Cassady cover, Will? For shame...
    Heh that looks great too but the Kolins one particularly stands out.

6. Quote Originally Posted by Will
    Yeah the Joe Kelly/Ed McGuinness run was awesome, I wish there was a trade collecting them. Udon and Gail Simione took over and Marvel called it Agent X because from what I hear Liefeld didn't want the DP name or something on it since he left. I'd definitely snatch up the whole Agent X collected trade whenever it comes out to see what I've missed. Satsuki's a fan heh.

I bought it along that same time as well but I stopped buying it because I had a ton of books with little money at the time so unfortunately I dropped it. I'll get the trades one day but its a fantastic series full of shock.

I missed the first couple of issues of Venom so I decided not to buy it. I'll definitely get the Wolverine crossover. Its unfortunate Marvel won't TPB the Tsunami line books since almost all of them are awesome.

War Machine I bought the first couple of issues, it was bi-weekly at the time and looked very manga'ish but I wasn't digging it that much.

Its cool to see you buying some books again

As far as recommendations go get the Ultimate line of Marvel books. All of them are in trade paperback format up until the recent stuff. Its basically a new line of re-conceptionalizing the X-Men, Avengers, Spiderman books but to today's era and to the fans who dug the Marvel movies. They remain true to their roots but just fresher.

First off get Ultimate X-Men 'The Tomorrow People' trade paperback by Mark Millar, Adam Kubert and Art Thibert, friggin awesome quality stuff and you'll see some badass Magneto/Wolverine/X-Men scenes the movies would be wise to follow with regards to Sentinels.

Second get the first Ultimates TPB called 'Super Human'. You can get it either here (look under 'Graphic Novels') or browse through the first few issues through the web here.

I also recommend getting the first 2 Ultimate Spiderman Hardcovers collecting ia ton of issues. Trades are out after those which should catch you up unless there are Hardcovers 3 and 4. All the trades I listed are on that same store link for a relatively good price if you don't feel like going to a far shop.

As far as DC titles go, Batman #620 came out last week and is a perfect starting point since its a new creative team. The new Teen Titans book is incredibly good but these issues are hard as fuck to find over here at least(I missed issue #1) so wait for a trade paperback.

Superman is pretty mediocre but jump on when Azzarello and Jim Lee jump on as I'm more excited to see what Azzarello will do with it than Jim Lee's art. Then there's JLA, currently its a pretty damn good with 'The Burning' so a trade of this collected arc would be good to buy. Before 'The Burning' it was pretty hit and miss with 'The Obsidian Age' which confused the fuck out of me(and also on TPB).

Image/Dreamwave I'll tell you more if you want me to.

Hope that helps.

Heh that looks great too but the Kolins one particularly stands out.

I'm going to pick up my books tomorrow, along with my copy of True Crime. The reason Marvel changed the names of Cable, Deadpool, and X-Force is that since rob Liefield created them, they had to pay him royalties for using the names. Hence the name change and no little checkies for Liefield. Although Agent X, is cancelled, Cable and Deadpool will be starring in a new series together, with Fabian Nicieza as writer and Rob Liefield(there goes that name again!) doing covers. Why that got that hack to do covers is beyond me.
    www.classic-games.net updated every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday.

7. Quote Originally Posted by Lordmrw
    I'm going to pick up my books tomorrow, along with my copy of True Crime. The reason Marvel changed the names of Cable, Deadpool, and X-Force is that since rob Liefield created them, they had to pay him royalties for using the names. Hence the name change and no little checkies for Liefield. Although Agent X, is cancelled, Cable and Deadpool will be starring in a new series together, with Fabian Nicieza as writer and Rob Liefield(there goes that name again!) doing covers. Why that got that hack to do covers is beyond me.
    I'm also wondering why they got Liefeld back, the dude sucks....like all the time no matter how many times he comes back. If only Marvel could take out the award winning team of Chuck Austen and Rob Liefeld.

Its cool Cable and Deadpool got their names back for the moment at least.

*edit* First looks here.

8. That's wierd, I was just thinking about Leifeld and how grateful I was for him never returning to Marvel. Ah well...

I picked up a ton of stuff yesterday, but I'm too lazy to pick it up.

However, for a second of your amusment I will tell you that I bought the Wizard issue with the Finch cover. Today I came home, and to no surprise whatsoever, there was the Wizard issue Finch cover and all. Bastards...

9. Another entry in the "nobody reads what I read" file

Powers 35- Must find 34!!! I can't read 35 until then. crapcrapcrap

Alias 28- After the amazing buildup I felt it was a bit anticlimactic, but still an interesting ending to the series. I'm really looking forward to Pulse.

Empire 4- Plot simmering fast, boil imminent.

Tom Strong 23- No more Alan Moore? I figured they'd just kill the ABC line rather than farm out the titles. A decent enough read, I suppose, but I want Moore back.

Terra Obscura 5- Only comic I saw that I'd have bought last week so I let it sit until this week. Liking it, but not loving it.

Savage Dragon 112- Holding the course and keeping me reading. 112 is a lot of issues.

Tomorrow I've got a bit of free time to I'll be wandering over to that "other" comic store. I think I've missed a few other issues here and there, time to track them down.

James

10. Didn't Liefield draw Diehard's hands backwards in one panel of the first or second issue of Youngblood?

His style is just terrible. I was always disgusted by his commercials for Lee jeans.

JM