Page 1 of 7 1235 ... LastLast

Thread: December Comic Book Thread

1. Frown December Comic Book Thread

Wasn't up yet so I figured I'd start this months thread. Looking forward to picking up Superman/Batman # 4, Ultimates # 12, and Ultimate Spidey # 50 tomorrow.

In news Newsarama reports that Patrick “Spaz” Spaziante will be taking over art chores for Mic Fong with dreamwave's Mega Man #4. Good news as the art was the only thing keeping me from picking this up.

2. OMFG! Ultimates #12 finally comes out tomorrow, huh?

didnt think we'd ever see it ...

But I will be picking up all of those you mentioned ...and may take a peek at Mega Man.I agree with you on the art style --Fong just didnt draw the blue bomber and his cast very well IMO.

3. i'm not surprised that fong was replaced. If you read one of the past issues of play magazine, they did a special on the capcom thing, and in his interview he was listing a number of projects that he was working on. No sane artist could do that much work and still keep a monthly commitment.
    www.classic-games.net updated every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday.

4. My local shop doesn't carry the Mega Man comic.
    I thought you were gay.... i guess not.

I picked up the first MM comic when I was on vacation... no place around here has it either. Guess I'll have to do like I do with the Transformers comics... order them off the net and pay like 5 or 6 bucks shipping.
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilMog View Post
    Screw being smart. This is TNL.

6. I picked up the first Megaman comic. Its alright but I probably won't be buying any more of them, its way too average for me to think its worth although Spaz's work might spruce it up some.

I'll definitely pick up those comics Jetser listed today along with some left behind from last week.

7. I just went by the mall to pick up Deus Ex2, and stopped in Newbury Comics. They hadn't put out all the new comics, but i did flip/read the new Exiles. Anyone afraid of it starting to suck because of Chuck Austen has nothing to worry about it. There's a holy shit moment in it involving Hyperion (yes, Hyperion) that i didn't see coming. I think its going to be very interesting if Weapon X follows through on what they're planning.
    www.classic-games.net updated every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday.

8. Quote Originally Posted by Lordmrw
    I just went by the mall to pick up Deus Ex2, and stopped in Newbury Comics. They hadn't put out all the new comics, but i did flip/read the new Exiles. Anyone afraid of it starting to suck because of Chuck Austen has nothing to worry about it. There's a holy shit moment in it involving Hyperion (yes, Hyperion) that i didn't see coming. I think its going to be very interesting if Weapon X follows through on what they're planning.
    I bought Exiles when it first came out when the creative team was Judd Winick and Mike McKone but I stopped buying it since I had to cut back. It got pretty bad when Austen did the whole crossover with Uncanny, I friggin hate the dude's writing, I'm glad they replaced him on Uncanny with Alan Davis and Chris Claremont. Now I'm just waiting what they do with Sal Larocca, maybe putting him in X-Treme again or Avengers after Scott Kolins/Coipel.

Weapon X is another I didn't buy but I'm hearing that its getting better, I just wish George Jeanty had better design on Sabertooth and Marrow.

Anyway I picked up some books at the newstand. My comic shop guy is going to be pissed since I bought stuff already in my pull list twice but fuck it I'll buy a ton that I missed anyway to take their place.

Supreme Power #5 - Another great issue, this time splotlighting the 'Atlanta Blur' and corporate executives luring him in before the gov't. Mark Milton also receives a whole apt which is cool but I can't help but feel bad for the guy since he just wants to be normal. JMS does a cute knod to the Clark Kent thing but they keep putting Hyperion under lockdown. He's is going to go postal soon and it won't be pretty.

The gov't also tries to revive Dr. Spectrum with disasterous results yet still being very intruiging since I want to see how he reacts after having the crystal embedded into him for such a long time. Love the commercial spoof cover, no wonder Blur's costume looks so cheesy.

The Ultimates #12 - Its about fucking time this shit came out, Christ! Anyway its an awesome action packed issue, Thor whups ass on the chit'auri in ways I've never seen done so spectacularly even in the regular continuity comics. I like how he flies with the hammer too.

Cap gets nitty gritty with the leader of the aliens and the dude just doesn't want to go down for the count. He basically whups Cap and Nick's ass until the end but I'm not sure if Captain America even killed him with that shield eviceration since he was blown up, shot in the head and so on unless his heart was the weak spot.

I liked how Tony was reluctant to help after going through that insane feat and I'm please to see that the Iron Man armor is somewhat more realistic in that it takes an insane amount of power to generate for the suit to use. Man this book has one of the coolest action sequences I've seen in a while, Hitch's art is probably the best I've ever seen from him here.

That ending certainly is a cliffhanger, and what they did to Banner was fucking nuts but in a way makes sense and is their only resort I suppose. I can't wait for volume 2.

Ultimate Spiderman #50 - Black Cat makes her debut in some cool stealth/thief tactics, its a pretty meaty part of the book and I liked the interaction between her and Spidey. Peter seems to be the pimp on both fronts with next months Elektra + Black Cat and his relationship with Mary Jane and Gwen Stacy. Another great issue from Bendis and Bagely with new colorist J. D. Smith. I actually liked the other colorist better since it was bright and wasn't so dark but I'll have to see how JD will color daytime sequences.

X-Treme X-Men #35- This issue concludes the Intifada arc but leads into the Storm Arena one. Chris Claremont is still injecting villains from his earlier 2000 run with Manacle, Tullamore Voge, and Revenant which I don't mind that much after hearing all the editorial crap he's taken so he can develop them more. Storn Arena also seems like it will be the big initiation for Storm and also serving as her first global mission "leading" the X-Treme X-Men. Whatever, I just want to see Gambit back in covert action full mutant powers and combat skills in effect, hes been out of action for way too long.

Rogue comes back to X-Corp to deal with Sunspot and his affiliate within the company who still remained elusive to the team. The stand off was pretty cool but it still made Roberto(who "diffuses" the fight) come off worse even if Rogue initiated the fight, it was either just self defense added to the fact that he doesn't kow Rogue too intimately or hes still mildly being controlled.

The story certainly ends the struggle with the punk mutant kids with some nice beat downs courtesy of Bishop & Cannonball but it was just one of the many manipulations Bogan/Shadow King(?) set in place before Storm Arena. Igor's Kordey's art looks much improved over last months and it seems like he has a new inker. It doesn't look much different in inking style from Scott Hanna's since it cleans up Igor's rougher, darker shadowy stuff but at the same time it does seems more fluid to his style.

Also picked up:
    Plastic Man #1- Haven't read yet.
    Superman/Batman #4- haven't read yet.

9. I fricking hate the comic store near my place, theyres nothing but generic novels and books of shit you'd expect to see. i.e. marvel, dc, etc...

10. Quote Originally Posted by DjRocca
    I fricking hate the comic store near my place, theyres nothing but generic novels and books of shit you'd expect to see. i.e. marvel, dc, etc...
    Whats wrong with Marvel/DC books?