Thread: Little Sound DJ: Game Boy Sound Synthesizer

1. Little Sound DJ: Game Boy Sound Synthesizer

Little Sound DJ

Dont know if its been posted before, but check it out.

The basic idea is to transform a plain Game Boy/Game Boy Color into a full-fledged music workstation.

# Sequencer

The sequencer of Little Sound Dj has a very open structure. It was designed to leave all the musical possibilities of the Gameboy in the hands of the user. The system can be said to be both simple and complex; it has a slight learning curve, but when learned, it is possible to transcribe a complete Bach piece to it on less than one hour.

# Sound

The Gameboy sound chip offers four channels with 4-bit sound. Custom waveforms can be created by free-hand drawing, or by using a subtractive synthesizer with resonant filters. For extra versatility, Little Sound Dj also contains a quite powerful arpeggiator, which possibilities go far beyond the classic C64-style chords.

# Samples

Sample-wise, Little Sound Dj boasts a set of 59 phonems for programmable speech. Besides that, it also features drum kits sampled from machines TR-606, TR-707, TR-727, TR-808, TR-909, CR-78, CR-8000, KR-55, DR-55, DR-110, DMX, Drumulator, RhythmAce, TOM and LinnDrum.

# Synchronization

It is possible to use a link cable to sync two Game Boys; great for party fun or for added polyphony! If you want to, you can sync LSDJ with Nanoloop. MIDI sync is possible too, if you are ready to build your own LSDj Midi Interface.
    Check it out. The songs that people made are pretty cool (I like Dubslide). You can download the ROM for free and play it on an emulator... or if you have one of those pirate contraptions I guess you can flash it and play it on an actual Game Boy. Ill download it and mess around with it after midterms are done.

edit: Mods, this may be better in music discussion, but i want more than the dozen people who post in music to see it, and plus its about gameboy, so...

2. sounds interesting. i'll try it out in the next day or so.

I can't make it work.

4. Great link! Thanks.

I'll keep it in Gaming Discussion.
    The spirit of liberty is the spirit which is not too sure it is always right. -Learned Hand

"Jesus christ you are still THE WORST." -FirstBlood

5. I own both Little Sound DJ and Nanno Loop. Both are increadibly cool GB sequencers. Someday I'll have to finish a song with them and post the results.

6. Quote Originally Posted by the Little Sound DJ guy in an email
    Hi there,

I wanted to announce that I am selling out the last few Little Sound Dj
    cartridges I got for $799 a piece.

This is seriously a ripoff, but if there is anyone out there who thinks you have
    way too much money, feel free to go ahead and spend it. First come, first serve.

No more production is planned, so this might be the last chance to get this
    piece of software in cartridge form.

Regards,
    Johan
    http://www.littlesounddj.com
    That sucks ass.
    The spirit of liberty is the spirit which is not too sure it is always right. -Learned Hand

"Jesus christ you are still THE WORST." -FirstBlood

7. Glad I bought mine when I did.

8. Didn't Alec Empire use this on an album? Sounds fun, though I'm not sure how much use I'd get out of it.