Thread: Xbox Live help please

1. Yield Xbox Live help please

Ok I have a 2 month trial of Xbox Live, I just feel like setting up an account for the sake of it so I can play Mahjong with the 7~ other Xbox owners in Japan. However I can't setup the bloody thing. Auto detect for network settings is not working and the details i've manually typed in aren't either. Basically I pass the IP test, but it then fails on DNS. I've looked in my network connections from windows and I have xxx.xxx.x.xxx with xxx.xxx.y.xxx for the alternate but to no avail.

Before anyone asks, yes I have a modchip and yes it is turned off. It can't even get as far as the connection to Xbox live as the network settings keep failing so I am not banned (and there's no reason why I should be, the HDD is locked and the EEPROM set to the correct region).

2. When I was living in the dorms I needed to go to the BOL (the org that runs all the network shit) website and manually enter the data from there. There really was no getting around it.

3. A good way is to check the website of whomever your broadband provider is, several of them have instructions on them of how to configure X-Box live to work with their service.

I'm fortunate that Cox only requires everything set to Automatic and I don't have to configure anything, but it's not like that for everyone, unfortunately.

Another good place to check is the X-Box live website support site too: http://www.xbox.com/en-us/support/default.htm
    omg TNL epics!

4. First off How are you able to play a Japanese Mahjong game on your XBOX with your mod turned off? Also can't you only play Xbox Live on a Jap system in Japan, a N. American system in America etc. Your location says your in the UK.

Secondly, what is your ISP? Is it through some dorm network or cable service. If it's cable or DSl are you using a direct connection to the modem or using a router? If your using a router you may have to manually add DNS and IP numbers. Also certain routers have incompatibilities with the XBOX that you may need to upgrade the firmware for or there ar eother workarounds. Remember that the numbers you (manually) put in for the IP address in XBOX live is the number assigned by your router not the primary IP address given to the modem.

if it's some funky dorm networking stuff you may have to talk to them (they may not allow internet gaming of some other lame ass policy). We could help you mor eif we had specifics.

5. First off How are you able to play a Japanese Mahjong game on your XBOX with your mod turned off? Also can't you only play Xbox Live on a Jap system in Japan, a N. American system in America etc. Your location says your in the UK.
    I'm pretty sure the region of the system can be modified with the modchip activated, and will stay modified even after it's disconnected.

6. Quote Originally Posted by Tain
    I'm pretty sure the region of the system can be modified with the modchip activated, and will stay modified even after it's disconnected.
    Bingo. My Xbox is Japanese but really when modded, that doesn't mean anything as everything can be changed.

Well i've configured all my IP and DNS stuff properly but can never connect to Xbox Live. I'll try again some other time and if that doesn't work, i'll see if I can get hold of another EEPROM ID in case (despite my best efforts, I am banned).

7. Run ICS from another computer if neccessary. You may need to set up a firewall for the UDP packets on a specific port.

Let us know how it turns out.