Page 1 of 6 1235 ... LastLast

Thread: Fear of idea theft kept Mario 128 out of E3 2003

1. Fear of idea theft kept Mario 128 out of E3 2003

Nintendo's intention was to reveal the next game in the legendary Mario franchise, Mario 128, at last month's E3 but chose not to at the final minute in fear of other developers stealing ideas from the game, which will apparently be radically different and god-like (for a Mario game and for video games in general).

Speculation abounds as to when the game will be released. It's entirely possible that it can come out this year (since the game was far enough in development to be shown at E3) but a 2004 date is almost definite.

Source: gamesindustry.biz

Doesn't Nintendo always keep things hidden to keep other developers from "stealing ideas"?

Its always sounded like BS to me... like the revolutionary hidden super secret feature of the Gamecube controler. F'n clicky shoulder buttons.

They're just trying to give you an internet boner over something you've never seen, just like how they undership to make you think the game is cooler, and selling better than it actually is.

Unless they include some kind of device that shoots out of the Gamecube and gives me a blowjob each time I beat a level it can't be too "radically different and god-like". It will be more of the same. I guarantee it.

3. i can see their concern, dantes water pack in dmc 2 was pretty blatent
    Quote Originally Posted by Compass
    Squall's a dick.

4. N64 controler was used as an example, so they were hush about the GC. The GC was not as big of deal though.

5. ...I want more mario. and none of this Sunshine crap!

sorry burg.

6. Originally posted by 88mph
    Doesn't Nintendo always keep things hidden to keep other developers from "stealing ideas"?

Its always sounded like BS to me... like the revolutionary hidden super secret feature of the Gamecube controler. F'n clicky shoulder buttons.

They're just trying to give you an internet boner over something you've never seen, just like how they undership to make you think the game is cooler, and selling better than it actually is.

Unless they include some kind of device that shoots out of the Gamecube and gives me a blowjob each time I beat a level it can't be too "radically different and god-like". It will be more of the same. I guarantee it.

You definitely have some valid points but I think you are a little off. I agree about the GC controller, who gives a shit about the clicky shoulder buttons? It's not like anyone has put them to use very well. On the other hand when is the last time Miyamoto put alot of effort into one game and it wasn't amazing? Sure they didn't give you the "pop out BJ" but they always are amazing. And unless you secretly work side by side with the dev team I don't know how you can guarantee it.

Originally posted by bahn
    ...I want more mario. and none of this Sunshine crap!

sorry burg.
    Agreed. I really like Sunshine but it wasn't half of the game the Mario 64 was.

7. I don't think 128 is going to blow the doors off like 64 did either. Sunshine's a great game. People who were disappointed in it were disappointed because they were expecting another giant step forward and they'll be disappointed with 128 as well.

As for Nintendo's reason...it sounds like bullshit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yoshi View Post
    burgundy is the only conceivable choice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drewbacca View Post
    I have an Alcatraz-style all-star butthole.

8. I agree that it won't blow the doors off like Mario 64 did. I wasn't disappointed because Sunshine didn't. I was disappointed because every level was like the same god damn thing. It wasn't even as inventive as the last Mario game, a first for the series. Sunshine was alot of fun, but do you think it was anywhere near as good as Mario 64?

9. Well, most people who did not like Sunshine were expecting Mario to change the world like in Mario 64. Just because he did it twice (SMB and SM64) doesn't mean that Mario games have to be revolutionary to be good. What the hell did you want Sunshine to be? 4D? Blinx (kinda) did the 4D thing and didn't change the world either.

The only thing that will match expectations set by SMB and SM64 would be holographic graphics, and I doubt that'll happen...

10. Originally posted by Nigel-The-Landstalker
    I agree that it won't blow the doors off like Mario 64 did. I wasn't disappointed because Sunshine didn't. I was disappointed because every level was like the same god damn thing. It wasn't even as inventive as the last Mario game, a first for the series. Sunshine was alot of fun, but do you think it was anywhere near as good as Mario 64?
    Every level was "like the same god damn thing" because the game was based on a tropical island. Like tropical islands, Sunshine had the central city, the country side, the beach, the port, the bay, the natives' village, the resort, and the amusement park, which I thought was really nice. Also like tropical islands, it did not have the jungle level, the snow level, the desert level, the cave level, and the mountain level. Instead of playing to the steroetypical platform mold, Nintendo chose a theme which I personally really enjoyed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yoshi View Post
    burgundy is the only conceivable choice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drewbacca View Post
    I have an Alcatraz-style all-star butthole.