Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Impressions: Escaflowne Movie

Impressions: Escaflowne Movie

Well, I got my Limited Edition Escaflowne Movie box set yesterday. Before I go into details, you should know that I'm a HUGE fan of the series. Also, I did not get to view the entire movie yesterday. Also, what I did view, I watched on my laptop dvd player which has been a little glitchy here lately [stutters a bit]. I'm away from home, so no 5.1 sound for me. Also, what I did watch, I watched dubbed.

Impressions so far:

The new character designs: For the most part, I really like them, tho when did Van become wild wilderness boy??? More on that in a bit.

The animation: I can't tell if it's my player, but some of the left to right/right to left cell scrolling seems herky-jerky. But it seems out of place because everything else seems really pristine, so I'll blame my stuttering player. Must view at home...

The voice acting: Dub is quite nice. A really good job.

The story: (Spoiler Alert) A retelling of the entire series in 96 minutes with a LOT of character exposition tossed! Ug. The terminology has completely changed? Ug. The whole time line of the war is different? Ug. Van is a "Dragon"??? The Guymelefs are all Escaflownes and not Guymelefs anymore??? They ruined the brother relationship surprise??? Hitomi is an angst ridden teen thinking of committing suicide??? Her tarot abilities aren't touched on at all before she's whisked away??? What the hell were they thinking...? (end spoiler alert)

But... As a stand alone movie, this is good. Better than a LOT of what's out there. In my case I HIGHLY recommend the series over this, but if you never plan to devote the time and money to the series, pick up the movie because if I'm being impartial [which is tough] I'd have to say that this is worth owning. I think it's worth owning if you're a huge Escaflowne fan anyways, just be ready to shake your head a lot and try to ignore the enormous changes.

I'll post more after I finish it.

--Scourge .

2. Thanks for the impressions. I think you've convinced me to skip the film and go straight for the series.
    - Kabuki

3. I think you've convinced me to skip the film and go straight for the series.
    Whereas I'm now reconsidering trying out the movie to see if I wanna invest in the series since I skipped it the first time 'round. (Nadia, Evangelion, Bebop and my upgrading of old Tenchi LDs to DVD left no budget for yet another series.)

That is of course, assuming the series flavor is retained in the movie.

Shade & Sweetwater,
    Jennifer ^_^

4. i saw the movie before i've yet to even see the series. and i LOVE the movie. and i'm on such an escaflowne high right now that i splurged and bought the tv box set. i'm looking forward to seeing it little by little.

kabuki - don't sell yourself short. even though scourge recommends the series over the movie, the movie itself is very well done and shouldn't be passed over (although i know some will disagree, and again, i've yet to see the series so i'm going by movie alone). it's a 90 min film so you can't exactly expect them to condense 26 eps worth of story into a limited amount of time. take it for what it is and not for what it isn't.

5. the series is way better

Deus13 Guest
    I agree that the series is better, but as a stand alone movie I liked it well enough to buy the movie box.

7. The main thing I wanna know right now, is the music good enough to justify the (currently at Best Buy) $17 extra for the LE? The extras disc I could care less about, but I'll get it if the soundtrack CD is good...

Quote Originally Posted by Gohron View Post
    I like doing stuff with animals and kids

In regards to the soundtrack, I actually owned the soundrack long, long before getting the movie, so now I have 2 copies. The movie music is REALLY good! I do love the soundtrack. I must say tho, some of the music cues in the movie itself are weird, but as a cd sountrack it's nice.

That being said, I also own the first series soundtrack performed by the Warsaw Symphony Orchestra I believe. It is TRULY AMAZING!!! Great classical music, let alone great music for an anime. I'd say it's 2 steps above the movie soundtrack, at least.

The movie soundtrack has a little more tribal feel to it [as does the movie], whereas the series soundtrack is more Medieval epic! There's more percussion in the movie soundtrack, while the series was heavy on strings and choral. I suppose it's a matter of taste. Do you have good taste or bad taste?:jest:

Just kidding. The movie soundtrack is really good, but not amazing.

--Scourge .

Also, I meant to say, if you watch the movie first and it gets you really interested in Escaflowne the series, you\'re in for a big payoff!

That\'s the best order to do it in I guess: watch the movie, then the series, not the series then the movie. Then you\'ll appreciate both more probably.

Or skip the movie all together...

--Scourge .

9. Originally posted by Ashen Victor

kabuki - don't sell yourself short. even though scourge recommends the series over the movie, the movie itself is very well done and shouldn't be passed over (although i know some will disagree, and again, i've yet to see the series so i'm going by movie alone). it's a 90 min film so you can't exactly expect them to condense 26 eps worth of story into a limited amount of time. take it for what it is and not for what it isn't.
    Yes, sounds like a plan. If the movie is good I should buy it and watch it before the series
    I think I'll get it after my "Anime Pile 'O Shame" gets a little thinner

- Kabuki

10. If the movie had remained distinct from the series in it's darkness (Van as a psycho, Hitomi as mopey molly and lots ofbloody insane action) throughout the entire flick that'd been interesting, but by the end of the movie it seems like they've slipped into TV Series mode again. Yawn. Bebop movie is so better.
    Compare your life to mine and KILL YOURSELF!!!