Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 'Grand Theft Auto' Makers Fight Lawsuit

1. 'Grand Theft Auto' Makers Fight Lawsuit

'Grand Theft Auto' Makers Fight Lawsuit

Rockstar Games and its New York City-based parent, Take-Two Interactive Software, said the victims' families were trying to hold them liable "based on the expressive content of the video game."

Retailer Wal-Mart and marketer Sony Computer Entertainment America Inc., are also named in the lawsuit.

Aaron Hamel, 45, was killed and Kimberly Bede, 19, was seriously wounded when their cars were hit June 25 by .22-caliber bullets while driving along Interstate 40.

Stepbrothers William Buckner, 16, and Joshua Buckner, 14, were sentenced in August to an indefinite term after pleading guilty in juvenile court to reckless homicide, endangerment and assault.

The boys told investigators they got the rifles from a locked room in their home and decided to randomly shoot at tractor-trailer rigs, just like in the video game "Grand Theft Auto III."

Responding Oct. 29 in U.S. District Court, Rockstar and Take-Two contend that such ideas and concepts as well as the "purported psychological effects" on the Buckners are protected by the First Amendment's free-speech clause.

A lawyer who represents the victims dismissed the claim, saying he would seek to move the case back into state court for consideration under Tennessee's consumer protection act.

___

On the Net:

Take Two: http://www.take2games.com/

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...game_lawsuit_5

2. As we all know, crimes like this never existed before the GTA series.
    matthewgood fan
    lupin III fan

3. Jeremy - of course there were crimes like this before this incident, BUT all those crimes were committed by criminals who did NOT get the idea from GTA 3 X-P

"The boys told investigators they got the rifles from a locked room in their home and decided to randomly shoot at tractor-trailer rigs, just like in the video game "Grand Theft Auto III."

Ok, thats at least ONE case of really violent videogames causing violence. Hope they kick TAke 2's butt :-)

Maybe GTA games will die out :-D

4. i must have missed the mission where i shot at tractor-trailer rigs...

5. Not this argument again.

If GTA is responsible for violent crimes, so is every violent movie and TV show ever made.

6. just lame fucking lame
    Where I play
    Quote Originally Posted by Dolemite
    I've changed my mind about Korian. Anyone that can piss off so many people so easily is awesome. You people are suckers, playing right into his evil yellow hands.

7. I got the idea to rape a woman from To Kill A Mockingbird. We should outlaw that book.

8. Quote Originally Posted by MechDeus
    I got the idea to rape a woman from To Kill A Mockingbird. We should outlaw that book.
    I went on a mockingbird murdering spree just after seeing the title of that book. We should outlaw the words 'kill' and 'mockingbird.'
    "I've watched while the maggots have defiled the earth. They have
    built their castles and had their wars. I cannot stand by idly any longer." - Otogi 2

9. Quote Originally Posted by dhowerter
    "The boys told investigators they got the rifles from a locked room in their home and decided to randomly shoot at tractor-trailer rigs, just like in the video game "Grand Theft Auto III."

Ok, thats at least ONE case of really violent videogames causing violence. Hope they kick TAke 2's butt :-)

Maybe GTA games will die out :-D
    Let me be the first to say:

Shut up.