Thread: 480/720P vs. 1080I

1. Laugh 480/720P vs. 1080I

My TV supports 480P and 1080I, which has a better looking picture? What about 720P vs. 1080I? I don't feel like searching the internet to figure this out.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dolemite
    Or perhaps he's a gay stalker, and longs to rub your used toilet paper all over his nipples.

2. 720p is the best possible picture you can get of the 3. It shows 720 lines of resolution on each pass where 1080i only shows 540 lines per pass, and 480p has 480 lines per pass.

Hope that makes sense.
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Holliday View Post
    K3V is awesome!

3. There's no dvds that go above 480, right?
    pwned by Ivan

4. Yeah as far as I know...DVD maxes out at 480p. There are some players that upconvert to 720p and 1080i, but that's not a "true" signal.

Damn I've read too much about HDTV and I don't even have one yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Holliday View Post
    K3V is awesome!

I'm not sure that 720p is greater than 1080i. Yeah, there's only 540 each pass, but on a widescreen hd tv, interlaced could look better than progressive because it allows for higher density pixellation in a wide screen resolution. But I've never compared the two side-by-side, so what do I know, except that it could very well depend on the hardware you use, so if you're not spending top dollar, 720p is probably the best way to go.

6. 720P is only in more expensive sets as its typicaly the hardest video mode to pull off.

You can find plenty of sets that will do 480P/1080i only but you will never find one that does 480P/720P only

As far as what looks the best, I find its all up to the source material. I feel Film looks best at 720P but Video looks better at 1080I