Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nintendo Buys Out Retro Studios

1. Nintendo Buys Out Retro Studios

From Gamespot:

Nintendo announced today that it has purchased $1 million in Retro Studios stock, making it the majority holder of the development house's shares. The purchase will buy out Retro Studios' current owner, Jeff Spangenberg, who, according to Nintendo, has decided to pursue new business interests. Nintendo made the decision to purchase Retro based on the development studio's work on Metroid Prime, the upcoming first-person adventure game for the GameCube.
    Not really surprising, given the big news (or rumors) that Rare is going multi-platform. I was surprised to see that nobody has announced this info yet. So, do you guys think Nintendo is worried about losing Rare or do you think that Retro really has some talent in their employees? We'll see...

-Search

2. Re: Nintendo Buys Out Retro Studios

Originally posted by SearchManX
    So, do you guys think Nintendo is worried about losing Rare or do you think that Retro really has some talent in their employees?
    No on both accounts.

3. I have some doubts about Retro- especially since MP is their first game. BUT- Nintendo would not have given them a project as important as Metroid if they didnt have the talent. BUT- The whole reason MP is 1st person is because Miyamoto-san was displeased with their work as a 3rd person game. who knows.

$1M is pocket change for Nintendo and its always good to have more 2nd parties and hence more exclusive games...

4. I was surprised that it only cost Nintendo a million.

5. Originally posted by Keres
    I was surprised that it only cost Nintendo a million.
    Are they really worth more?

j/k... we'll see how much value they'll have after MP.

6. But retro isnt a 2nd party anymore.. It becoms nintenod's second US 1st party developer, maybe silcon knights is second on their buying list.. Since 1st party is alot more secure than 2nd party follks...

7. from what ive read Metroid isnt ONLY 1st person its 1st persona nd 3rd person depending on what you have to do

it switches back and forth

sound sliek it may be time to finally send my demo reel to retro's way

8. I guess I have no comment until I get some hands on time with Metroid Prime.

Until then I'll take a "wait and see attitude" to the whole ordeal.

9. Originally posted by Kidnemo
    I guess I have no comment until I get some hands on time with Metroid Prime.

Until then I'll take a "wait and see attitude" to the whole ordeal.
    On that note... has anyone heard whether Metroid Prime will be playable at E3?? If it is, I wanna hear impressions!!!

10. Originally posted by Zerodash

$1M is pocket change for Nintendo

Then why can't they spare me a few thousand dollars :P.
    It's a mirror image!