Thread: Chaos Generation Klonoa

1. Chaos Generation Klonoa

Two games that I've been looking forward to were released in the last few days in Japan, and I'm wondering if anyone has played them/read anything about them and has any impressions?

Chaos Generation Next (PS2)
    Klonoa Beach Volleyball (PS)

2. I'm gonna look for some reviews/impressions and post the urls.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ex Ranza View Post
    Halverson had me totally convinced of Cybermorph's greatness, I'll tell you that much.

Then I got a Jag, took it home, and something seemed... not right.

3. supposedly Klonoa Volleyball is import pick of the month in EGM.

got this off of the Gamefaqs messageboard:

"Yes, I got it today, and while I've only been able play a few matches, Klonoa Beach Volley is a lot of fun.

The game is very simplistic and easy to get into. Basically, it's two on two volleyball matches. You use square for launching/hitting the ball, x to jump for it/set it up for spikes, triangle to taunt(not sure if this actually does anything), and circle lets you use super moves.

At the top of each side of the screen is a 3x3 grid with nine blocks. This represents the opponents' side of the net. Whenever you get a combination of three blocks on the grid in a row (I.E., land the ball on the bottom of the playfield in the front, back, and middle areas), you get to use your super, which is a flashy way of smacking the ball to the other side.

Each character has a different super that is unique to them. For example, Tat(the B/W cat) makes this huge cat statue fall on the other side of the net and roll over the other players, and then he spikes the ball for a point.

The visuals are nothing really special, but they get the job done, and the characters and backgrounds are animated pretty well. Game play seems to run at a smooth and constant 30 fps, and the music is pure Klonoa, as are the stage designs. Klonoa fans should definitely check this game out.

BTW, you can also play up to four players using just two controllers. Two players can share a single controller by using the right and left analogue sticks and the d-pad and buttons. I'm sure it's probably very awkward playing this way, but it's a cool idea that I think has only been done once before(Micro Machines).

Lee"

BTW, you can also play up to four players using just two controllers. Two players can share a single controller by using the right and left analogue sticks and the d-pad and buttons.
    innovative!

oh by the way, here's the cover for the game:

Halverson had me totally convinced of Cybermorph's greatness, I'll tell you that much.

4. *thumbs up*

5. Nice, thanks for finding that!

NCS didn't seem too impressed:
    Viewed from a 3/4 overhead perspective, Klonoa's turn in Beach Volleyball plays a decent game. Not particularly special and not particularly rancid, it's...decent. Volleyball is not an easy game to reproduce on video. Reaction times, spatial variables, and bad execution all conspire to make short work of most VB sims. Unlike other video VB games, Klonoa and pals may call upon their inner potential and dazzle opponents with special attacks and spice up the ball with their unusual powers. Spiking takes on new meaning when balls turn oblong due to the mighty velocity with which they're launched. Light contrails, lightning blasts, and other atmospheric fireworks provide fiery eye candy.
    I want this, but I have so little cash, I wonder if it will get a reduced price when it comes over... I hope so.

That multi controller idea sounds nifty, I'd like to try it out (though it's probably very awkward).

6. yeah, its ashame they're not bringing this title over.

Whats Chaos Generation Next about?

7. Preview from The Magic Box. Sounds damn good, I'd like this one to get translated, I want to try it out.