Page 15 of 19 FirstFirst ... 111314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: The New Apple Thread

lithium Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Nomi
    Apple owes a lot of its success to its ability to make computers (and music devices) look beautiful. They mini just didn't do that for me.
    I don't see it. The only Mac to ever noticably benefit from its looks was the first iMac (which I always thought was dog ugly myself). Apple got lucky with desktop publishing early on and because of that they got many design and color oriented innovations (long) before PCs did (massive Adobe and Quark support, type 1 fonts, colorsync, etc etc). Even to this day, design, video and press work are some of the only markets that Macs have the true upper hand. All of that was established a long time ago, when Macs were simple, grey boxes.

2. The Bondi iMac made people curious enough to give Apple a look, and rich people to buy it because it was cool and attractive. Now, seriously, the LCD iMac has a lot more interest just because it looks good. I'm not saying that's WHY they sell. If there wasn't a solid OS, no deal. But the looks really don't hurt.

They came from being the graphic artist's box of choice, to something the consumer was more ready to latch onto. It was a simple thing, but their nice happy colors made the Mac stand out in a time when it needed it.

So, with the dollar-per-MB being kind of bad, add on how I don't like the looks of it, and there's no reason for me to like the minis when for only 50 dollars more, I get a lot more. :shrug:

3. Weeeelll, okay. So Nomi has the new iPod, and I've got the broken old one.

Mine if I can get it working.

When it's turned on, the Apple logo is displayed, followed by the standard menu, and it has zero music. If you look at the About screen, there are only 4.9 gigs free (this is an old 10 gig).

I tried connecting it to my dad's G4 twice. First time, I put it into disk mode, and it seemed fine. Second time, iTunes opened, and hanged. What sucks is, with both of the attempts, the iPod update software didn't recognize it.

I've also tried hooking it up to my PC via Ephpod, but that hasn't begun to work. And the PC update software can't pick it up, either.

Finally, in diagnostics mode, it fails the Remote test.

4. As a note to add to Tain's troubleshooting, the 4.9 gigs free is exactly how much should be left after my old library was in. If my music was there, 4.9 would be free.

It's there, but it wont see it. So frustrating. My contact information (phone numbers and names) also remained intact.

5. Oh, and it does the rotating CD with the magnifying glass thing pretty much every time Firewire's in there, assuming I don't go into disk mode.

6. Quote Originally Posted by Tain
    When it's turned on, the Apple logo is displayed, followed by the standard menu, and it has zero music. If you look at the About screen, there are only 4.9 gigs free (this is an old 10 gig).
    This usually happens if you just drag stuff to the iPod in disk mode, but Nomi told me that she was using iTunes to transfer the music, properly.

I tried connecting it to my dad's G4 twice. First time, I put it into disk mode, and it seemed fine. Second time, iTunes opened, and hanged. What sucks is, with both of the attempts, the iPod update software didn't recognize it.
    This is a concerning problem. Normally, you can go into the 1.xxx updater and it will at least recognize it.

Finally, in diagnostics mode, it fails the Remote test.
    Usually it gives that error when it's not plugged in. If you plug it in in disk mode, does the music show up? Or is it just blank? See if you can use Disk Utility to verify the integrity of the internal hard disk. I'll post some more later if my co-worker can think of anything.

7. In disk mode, I see iTunes software and contact info, but no music.

I'll try the Disk Utility as soon as I can.

8. is there any way to replace the harddrive on an iPod?

Mine is still working, but i can't really put songs on it. It'll start updating, then give an "unknown harddisk error" after 1 or 2 songs. Basically i have to hit update ipod about 20 times to get a new album on there. Started doing this as soon as i switched from MusicMatch to iTunes, but i'm thinking that's just coincidence.

9. Quote Originally Posted by Mike
    Lhadatt, did you get the AppleCare like we told you?
    Working on that. I only have so much money. I'm aiming for getting it before the first 90 days are up.

10. Disk Util said that it needed repair, so I did so. Nothing's changed.