Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 12345717 ... LastLast

Thread: The New Apple Thread

1. Actually, I'm getting a bit sick of Panther. Since upgrading - erased the HD and did a fresh install - Safari has been nothing but s**t for me, and new bugs in the Finder are driving me nuts. (For example, selecting multiple items on the desktop and trying to drag them when using icon previews crashes the Finder.)

Overall, I like the new features, but in stability, it feels like a huge step back from 10.2.5. (I never upgraded beyond that point for whatever reason.)

I indeed hope the rumors of 10.3.2 coming soon are true.
    WARNING: This post may contain violent and disturbing images.

2. Yeah, i think im gonna stick with my 10.2.6 and Mozilla Camino browser. Everything is running smooth, why fuck with it???

3. Quote Originally Posted by shidoshi
    Actually, I'm getting a bit sick of Panther. Since upgrading - erased the HD and did a fresh install - Safari has been nothing but s**t for me, and new bugs in the Finder are driving me nuts. (For example, selecting multiple items on the desktop and trying to drag them when using icon previews crashes the Finder.)
    Say what? Safari stability has been nothing but improved for me, and I've never seen the Finder go down yet, and I've moved tons upon tons of icon previewed files from the desktop to other folders and back, all over the fucking place.

Weird.

4. Quote Originally Posted by Grave
    Say what? Safari stability has been nothing but improved for me, and I've never seen the Finder go down yet, and I've moved tons upon tons of icon previewed files from the desktop to other folders and back, all over the fucking place.

Weird.
    I don't know what machine Shidoshi is running on, but I've gotten his complaint from many Graphite G4 users with Panther. I don't know what's causing it yet, but since I have a Graphite G4 here at work I will check it out.

5. http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,4149,1383036,00.asp

Power Mac G5 wins PC of the Year from PC Mag...

pretty funny if you think about it.

6. Running a TiBook 550 here. I know I've seen reports of the Finder crashing under those circumstances from other people. And I'd swear to God, it feels like I'm back with the first beta the way Safari is acting for me. Worked just fine when I was back with 10.2.5.
    WARNING: This post may contain violent and disturbing images.

7. I think the processor speed has a lot to do with the performance of Panther, unfortunately. If I had a copy of 10.3 Server, I'd upgrade my G4 Graphite 500, but since I don't it stays at 10.2.8 Server.

I'm amazed, though, that people are willing to go through the hassle of upgrading their tray-loading iMacs to install Panther. Crazy. It really ought to be installed on G4s and high-end G3s.

8. Just chiming in to say that I FINALLY got my Adobe Creative Suite yesterday. This marks the very first time I've ever paid for legitimate computer software. I'm rather proud of myself. Of course a friend who's in education got it for me on the CHEAP but hey, I'm legit for once.

Photoshop 8 is nuts! I'm jumping in from 6 and it seems like night and day. Off to the bookstore!

Pa

9. How do you folks like that dock of mine?

Click to enlarge

There are a few freeware apps I just got off of Versiontracker that I haven't put up, either.

lithium Guest
    Why are you using OSX Server? Unless that's a server, you'd likely get better performance with standard OSX.

Anyway, if you (the readers of this thread), were in the position to get a new Apple notebook, would you go for the top of the line iBook or 15" PowerBook, and why? I'm debating between the two. I can't decide if the 15" really offers $600 more computer or not.

The major benefits of the 15" are better video card, 2GBs max memory as opposed to 640MB, and a larger L2 cache. Everything else is either not a big deal in general or not a big deal to me.

The iBook offers better battery life (apparently), looks better, and is much cheaper. But the 640MB limit might be the deal breaker.