Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst ... 345679 ... LastLast

Thread: The New Apple Thread

lithium Guest
    That Dell looks pretty nice, I'll look into it. I'm also a fan of Thinkpads, my last 600X was an awesome machine. But I do have my heart set on a Mac. I bowed out of Macs when OSX rolled along because I knew it'd take a while before it was solid. Now I want back in. Maybe I'll just get a tower.

2. I'd like to hear what kind of issues, if any, the new 15" PB has. I have the last titanium model, and I'm thrilled with it... I couldn't wait any longer for them to roll out the new models, so I bit the bullet and grabbed it this summer, and I'm glad. My last laptop prior was the last model G3 PowerBook, and that was one hell of a nice machine. I figure once they get to the end of a model's life, most of the issues are worked out. This machine has been excellent, and it's running 10.3 now with no complaints.

Am I the only one who thinks the new PowerBooks are ugly? I don't like the "one continuous slab" design Apple's pushing on the bottom side of their laptops. I like the light grey border around the keyboard/trackpad area of my TiBook. The new design just doesn't appeal to me as much. I don't know.

3. I just had a fuckin crazy deja vu.

4. oh...anyway...Calliander or any other Mac OSX user, help me out. I'm trying to delete these Quick Time files and they wont go away, I get the following message, "The item - insert file name - is being used by anohter task right now."

when i havent touched the files for at least a month.

and how do i take screenshots so i can partake in a toolbar duel.

5. Quote Originally Posted by DOVESKI
    and how do i take screenshots so i can partake in a toolbar duel.
    cmd+shift+3

6. Quote Originally Posted by Calliander
    Dell is by far the best preconfigured Windows computer seller.

Until Apple picks up the pace with their portables, I think a PC laptop would be a good choice.
    That's what I've been thinking as of late. I love Apple, and I'll admit to being a bit obsessed as far as preferring MacOS over Windows... But I think a PC laptop would be more logical. I can do more on it, and Dell seems to be pretty solid as far as what you're getting for the dollar.

Pity I don't have enough dollars to get anything worthwhile. I think I'd be looking at a used, older Inspiron. I'm talking under 700 on eBay, you know, so I can't get one of those awesome widescreen 15.4" amazing resolution deals I hear so much about.

7. Dell is pretty good. Also take a look at Fujitsu and IBM.

Stay away from Compaq/HP, Gateway and Toshiba.

You people think this is a good deal?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...category=51034
    I took all your French Toast.

9. Quote Originally Posted by Grave
    I'd like to hear what kind of issues, if any, the new 15" PB has. I have the last titanium model, and I'm thrilled with it... I couldn't wait any longer for them to roll out the new models, so I bit the bullet and grabbed it this summer, and I'm glad. My last laptop prior was the last model G3 PowerBook, and that was one hell of a nice machine. I figure once they get to the end of a model's life, most of the issues are worked out. This machine has been excellent, and it's running 10.3 now with no complaints.

Am I the only one who thinks the new PowerBooks are ugly? I don't like the "one continuous slab" design Apple's pushing on the bottom side of their laptops. I like the light grey border around the keyboard/trackpad area of my TiBook. The new design just doesn't appeal to me as much. I don't know.
    Sorry, didn't see this until now.

The Aluminum 15" Powerbooks are very sketchy. Most people who have bought one are experiencing these areas on the LCD which are noticeably lighter than the rest of the area around it. This can happen with as little as two hours of use.

Also, all of the Aluminum Powerbooks are REALLY finicky about RAM and they also inhibit the reception of your Airport Extreme card.

The design is okay, but what a bitch and a half it is to take those things apart. Christ, it's like the old days, when you had to route things with electrical tape and exact placement. Yikes.

10. Quote Originally Posted by Aurora
    You people think this is a good deal?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...category=51034
    Number one - find out if the Protools hardware is external or a PCI card.

Number two - don't pay more than $1100.00 for that machine. If you get the serial number, I can get background info on it for you.

Personally, I would ignore this machine. If you don't have a use for that Protools stuff, the machine is beyond your needs. It's a dual 800 QuickSilver (no mirror-drive doors), takes SD-RAM (rendering that gig of RAM basically useless) and probably isn't under warranty (but I can verify that for you).

Let me know.

EDIT: On second thought, that machine has exceeded the amount of money you should pay for it - $900.00. Get me the serial number, though.