Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Reviewing Games That Aren't Done

1. Quote Originally Posted by thray-walsh
    GMR's exclsuve Ninja Gaiden review was fully sanctioned by Tecmo. Was the build 100% final? Probably not, since word on the street is that it's being delayed by a month. Were they given exclusive rights to review it first under direct juristiction of the almighty Itagaki? Yes.
    Really? I wasn't aware of this. I would have thought that Team Ninja buddies IGN would have gotten some kind of exclusive.

Of course magazines will always be stuck in such a position as to be pretty much forced to review an unfinished game. It's not GMR's fault that Ninja Gaiden has/or will be delayed. The same thing happened to OXM with Panzer Dragoon Orta. In that case Sega delayed the game at the last minuet and from what I've read they made very few changes.

However... what if companies held a game back until magazines had a chance to play and review it? Instead of being like Nintendo and never sending out a review copy ahead of time... what if they sat on a game for a couple weeks so that mags could get some time with it?

With games slowly heading to world wide synchronized release dates (ala movies, and like Warcraft3)... the extra production time wouldn't hurt. After all with a game like Halo2, wouldn't you rather they waited until they had enough units for everyone?

I guess what upset me more than reviewing a game thats 95% done, is reviewing games that are months off, or in the case of Ninja Gaiden have yet to be playable (although from what I've read it's finally been played by a couple editors).

For me when STUFF, Playboy or other such magazines review a game that's just not damn done (ie Half-Life2)... when they don't review movies that aren't out... it really bothers me to see our industry treated with such a disrespect. We pull in more money than movies and yet the standards for reviews seem to be as if we were just some kind of backroom hobby.

2. Quote Originally Posted by Zondaro
    Really? I wasn't aware of this. I would have thought that Team Ninja buddies IGN would have gotten some kind of exclusive.
    There are both print and online exclusives. A single game can have both.

3. I havent got the issue yet, so just what did GMR rate the game anyways???
    Korly-"Everyone here is an asshole, SURPRISE!"

4. Quote Originally Posted by Zondaro
    For me when STUFF, Playboy or other such magazines review a game that's just not damn done (ie Half-Life2)... when they don't review movies that aren't out... it really bothers me to see our industry treated with such a disrespect.
    Maybe not Stuff or Playboy (Though I think them too), but Movie/tv specific mags DO see a movie before it's released... They get pre-release screenings in order to be able to write a review, get it in by deadline, and the get it printed. also, Most game mags are monthly, while some of the tv/movie mags are weekly and can review a movie and get it in the issue a day or two late (i.e. entertainment weekly). It's not quite fair to compare reviewing games and movies in that respect.

5. As you noted, while this is annoying, I find it more annoying when reviewers don't put a game through its paces when everything IS present. Not playing a game in its entirety (meaning checking out all the features and such, and putting in enough time) is really annoying.

I realize it's not always possible to put the neccessary time into each game, but I hate it when I catch reviewers cutting corners. Makes me want to puke.

PS: Before anybody chimes in, yes I realize it isn't always in the hands of the reviewer how long they have to play a game, so don't bother telling me.

6. Quote Originally Posted by Zondaro
    My point is that Maxim doesn't review movies that aren't out yet. They just list upcoming films... Videogames are not getting the same treatment is my issue. Reviews of games that are not finished only hurts the industry. People buying a game that sucks because a review based on an unfinished copy said it was good? That's one person who's less likely to trust another review or risk plopping $50 bucks down to try another videogame.
    But that's Maxim... I mean; Who takes anything in Maxim seriously. It's for the pretty pictures.
    o_O

7. Quote Originally Posted by Zondaro
    My point is that Maxim doesn't review movies that aren't out yet.
    I thought it was pretty funny that in the latest Maxim (or was it stuff? I get em mixed up sorry) Half Life 2 was the game of the month =X
    Quote Originally Posted by dechecho View Post
    Where am I anyway? - I only registered on here to post on this thread

8. GMR gave Ninja Gaiden a 9 out of 10. Something tells me that publishers/developers don't mind a magazine reviewing a beta far in advance too much--as long as the score is good.

9. Quote Originally Posted by Brisco Bold
    What did it get anyway?
    yeah really, nobody's answered this yet.

nm thanks ted.

10. *Hans Moleman* I like GMR...