Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Phantasy Star 1-4 : The Best Lead

1. Phantasy Star 1-4 : The Best Lead

Among the lead characters in Phantasy Star (Alice, Rolf, Rhys, and Chaz) which one would you argue is the overall 'best'? From character design to attitude, tell us a little bit why.

This topic may have been done before, but since I missed it, ahh, bug off. ^_^ Besides, my timing is good.

Anyway, I have to go with Rhys. Call it a nostalgic tweak, but the character design (the cape was the bomb), and the fact that he just seemed to embody that ancient yet modern atmosphere that Phantasy Star had makes him my favorite.

Even though III is widely regarded as the worst of the series (battles killed it), I like Rhys the best among the rest, although all of them ruke. If I was forced to order them, I'd finish with Alice, Rolf, and then Chaz.

Right, what about the rest of you? PS fans show yourselves.
    ~Quinn
    Can't live without the classics...
    Original and Remixed Game Music

Flashback to 1988. Sega unleashes a Japanese RPG to English speaking world for the first time. Not only that but it's the most advanced console game on the market. And to top it off it has an awesome female character in the lead. Sure there were female characters before like the almighty Samus, but it was still a rare thing back then. So, I'm sure there's much nostalgia involved but Alis is my pick.

Rolf had no personality. Rhys, unfortunately I don't remember well since it has been too long since I played PS3. I still love PS3 though; it is worthy. And Chaz is ultra-lame. His dialogue is way too cheesy.

Andy787 Guest
    I have to go with Chaz, if only because I've only played PS4. Loved it though

4. I'd say Alis. A strong-willed female without dirty-minded exploitation of the fact she's a girl is a hard thing to find.

5. my fave is chaz. he started out bein' quite a lil punk, an' it was funny how rune kept bitchin' him around through the first part of the game, but he ended up bein' someone everyone could look to for leadership and guidance. i rolf's character design just 'cause he had blue hair, but i don't really remember much about him. never played ps1 so i can't give any opinions on alice. rhys was cool, but kinda forgetable since the game had that whole generation system goin' on.

Respect Ms. Landale.

7. Alys gets my vote. Even these days, 14 years since it came Stateside, female leads in RPGs are very rare. Before and since Alys, really the only female leads you had to look forward to in an RPG was some wannabe princess in a game like Rhapsody, hardly inspiring. Alys was and still is one of a kind.

Rolf had the chance to be a badass, had his character actually had any personality or character development. Its too bad because his character design was my favorite among the PS lead males.

Rhys, I dunno, I have a thing for animated FEMALES with light blue hair. It just turns me on (explains the Rei Ayanami wallscroll I own, though her hair was actually purple in the manga and blue in the anime *shrugs). But with guys, I just find it kinda creepy. So forget Mr. White Cape here.

Chaz was ok, but honestly, I never liked the "cliched, hot-headed, teenage youth vibe" he and most every other male RPG lead since then has given off. But that staff he carries in his picture looks badass

So for me, in order from favorite to least:
    Alys (for her one-of-a-kind-ness)
    Rolf (for his great character-design)
    Chaz (cliched design, but just cool enough)
    Rhys (white cape, white boots, light-blue hair, buttoned collar, ugh...)
    omg TNL epics!

8. I'll go with Rolf. Him and his crew put me on and made me go back and play the original. I'm going through IV again on the Nomad.

9. Chaz for me. Though his name is awful(Chaz!? What kind of a name is Chaz!? They should have stuck with Rudy) he was always kinda cool. But didn't he turn whiney and wanted to give up at the end of the game? If so, well, I guess Square got more than one inspiration from Phantasy Star when making the PSX Final Fantasies.
    They call me Heatmiser
    and whatever I touch
    starts to melt in my clutch
    I'm too much!

10. I have to go with Chaz. Rolf only talked in the intro and the ending(I think), Alis was cool, and Rhys, uh, was in that godawful Phantasy Star3, which I try not to remember.