View Poll Results: How often do you view extras on DVD's?

Voters
35. You may not vote on this poll
  • Always

15 42.86%
  • Sometimes

12 34.29%
  • Very rarely

8 22.86%
  • Never

0 0%
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How often do you view extras on DVD's?

How often do you view extras on DVD's?

I remember one of the huge selling points of DVD's back in '97 being the ability to have extras on the disc. However, after almost 2 years of having my own DVD player, I've found myself almost never watching the extras - the alternate endings on 28 Days Later being the exception. They tend to be more than gimmicks than anything.

I would much prefer better transfer quality, such as Criterion and Superbit titles, or barebones widescreen titles to the ultra megapacks with ten hours of extra footage and crap.

2. I will be honest with you. I have not once seen the extras on any of the DVDs I have purchased or rented. I own like 55 or 60 movies, too, and I got my first DVD player in... 1999 I think. Christmas of 1999.

3. If it's some Fox made for TV making of special, then no. But I'll usually watch the directors commentary.
    pwned by Ivan

4. I always try to watch the extras and I've learned a whole lot listening to the commentaries.
    Backloggery
    GameTZ

Go home and be a family man.

5. Depends. For DVDs I actually buy, I usually try to watch them all, or at least most of them. For those I rent, depends on how much I liked the movie overall, I would say maybe 40-50% of renters I peek through the extras.

6. I look through it all. After that I usually never look at them again.

7. I only watch the extras if I thought it was a great movie. I don't usually buy a DVD unless I really liked the film so I generally watch all of the extras on the movies I own.
    I thought you were gay.... i guess not.

Quote Originally Posted by Tones
    I would much prefer better transfer quality, such as Criterion and Superbit titles, or barebones widescreen titles to the ultra megapacks with ten hours of extra footage and crap.
    I usually watch them, especially for older movies with historical archive type stuff. As far as transfer quality goes, that's where 2 disc sets are nice, or dvd-18's (those are the two sided ones) with extras on the back. In those cases, transfer quality doesn't become an issue. Superman: The Movie has excellent bonus features. So does Alfred Hitchcock's Notorious (Criterion), Citizen Kane, Snow White... Director commentaries can be really interesting, as well as film historian commentaries. I've got like 200 or more dvds.

9. I usually only watch shorts that comes with the movie and that happens "very rarely." Occasionally, I'll watch an interview or documentary if the movie is really old and is the only real access I have to that time period.

I'll never play commentary since it kills the joy of the movie. A lot of directors take the opprotunity to clarify plot questions and reveal information that you can't get anywhere else. In that case, why make the movie if you were good enough to do everything you needed to do?

10. Quote Originally Posted by Tragic
    I only watch the extras if I thought it was a great movie. I don't usually buy a DVD unless I really liked the film so I generally watch all of the extras on the movies I own.
    Seconded. If I'm bored I'll watch extras like the making of the movie, behind the scenes or whatever. I don't think I've ever watched something with a directors commentary or anything like that except the Futurama DVDs.