Thread: Mach Rider

1. Mach Rider

I just purchased a copy of this game from Babbages for the extra low price of merely two bucks. It's a rather fun diversion, but it takes some getting used to shifting gears. Nothing to go crazy for, although you can design your own courses, you can't really do much. I'm surprised Nintendo hasn't made a moderm version of this like they did with Excitebike and Wave Race. They should make Mach Rider: Black Storm for the Gamecube.

2. Mach Rider was fun, but thinking about it makes me realize just how buggy those first-gen NES releases were.

Remember the "Save" function that didn't do anything? Excitebike, Wrecking Crew and a ton of others had the same problem. The games were ported over so fast that NOA forgot to take out the option to save to the Fami Disk Drive.

Did NOA ever plan to release the Disk Drive in the U.S. or was this just a sloppy programming error?
    The spirit of liberty is the spirit which is not too sure it is always right. -Learned Hand

"Jesus christ you are still THE WORST." -FirstBlood

3. Originally posted by sleeveboy
    Mach Rider was fun, but thinking about it makes me realize just how buggy those first-gen NES releases were.

Remember the "Save" function that didn't do anything? Excitebike, Wrecking Crew and a ton of others had the same problem. The games were ported over so fast that NOA forgot to take out the option to save to the Fami Disk Drive.

Did NOA ever plan to release the Disk Drive in the U.S. or was this just a sloppy programming error?
    Actually, all of those games were released in cartridge format in Japan before Nintendo released the Famicom Disk System. I guess (and this is just a guess) that the original plan for the Famicom Disk System was that you could save the data from cartridge games into Disk Cards until the Disk System was turned into a cheap and convenient way for Nintendo to release new games in disk format. Or maybe it was just cheap programming after all? I do know that you could save the data from your stages until you turned off the system.

I must say, Mach Rider is cool and all but I don't think it has stood the test of time as well as most Nintendo games.

I would still love to see a modern sequel. Triforce/GC Mach Rider would be nice.

5. I always liked the song from MR, even though it was only a few bars long. Sure, it was just Hang On with guns, but I always wondered why crappy old Excitebike got all the attention while Mach Rider was forgotten.

And thanks for clearing that save thing up for me - I always thought my Excitebike copy was just busted, heh.
    -Kyo