Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3567

Thread: Best Buy $5 off trick works for another year!

1. Quote Originally Posted by Empty_One
    Damn, sounds like you need to find yourself a new Best Buy.
    Heh, the next closest one would require me to actually put the 5 dollars I saved back into my gas tank
    R.I.P Kao Megura (1979-2004)

2. I've got two Best Buys in my area and they were both sold out.

3. If the giftcard is scanned last, does the coupon not work? That's what happened when I bought Metroid Zero a while back. The guy at the counter was a singing (yes, singing) moron, btw.
    pwned by Ivan

4. Quote Originally Posted by Roufuss
    Oh, I'll do it on sale items, like Metroid Zero Mission for only 20 bucks, but on something that's 50?

I've got better things to do than wait an additonal 15-20 minutes in line while they figure everything out. I know it seems a bit long, but yes, this happens EVERY time I use the GGC.

They don't roll their eyes, at first they don't understand why I'm doing it, so they figure that out. Then they don't understand the coupon, so the read the entire fine print. Then, the coupon dosen't work for the game (EVER), so they call a manager. It takes about 5 minutes for the manager to get there, who then reads over all the fine print, and then they finally override the computer.

I mean, it may be different at your Best Buy, and it is a good deal. Just for me, that 20 minutes spent just waiting and waiting < 5 dollars, unless I'm getting a really good deal out of it.

And more often than not, Best Buy dosen't have what I want anyways, so it's a moot point. I used to work there, and I'm pretty convinced it's the worst Best Buy on the planet.
    Alright, if it's really that bad, I can understand. Despite the fact that the coupon never ever scans correctly, I've never had a problem that's taken more than a few minutes all the time to resolve. At worse I just have to explain to the cashier that the coupon isn't expired, that it's valid, that it's all in print and that I do this all the time.

But you are correct that the coupon NEVER EVER SCANS. Anyone using this coupon should not be put off by that alone, though a 20 minute hassle is a different story.

$5 really isn't all that great a discount off $50, I agree, but that just means I don't buy $50 games.

You should still give me money though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yoshi View Post
    burgundy is the only conceivable choice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drewbacca View Post
    I have an Alcatraz-style all-star butthole.

5. Quote Originally Posted by burgundy
    But you are correct that the coupon NEVER EVER SCANS. Anyone using this coupon should not be put off by that alone, though a 20 minute hassle is a different story.
    I must have two of the greatest best buys in the world then. Whenever they scan the coupon, it comes up as "$5 off any video game software/hardware" on the display. You guys are making sure you are getting the game cards that expire 12/31/04 though, right? I noticed my BB sells both this years and last years card.

The only problem I have started getting, is they now are making me put $5 on the gift card, so I now I have to actually use the gift card for the purchase. After christmas, I ran into a problem of the cards not always getting into the system right away, and had to wait one day to use it.
    Nintendo DS Friend Codes:
    Mario Kart DS - 493982 793875
    Animal Crossing DS - EmptyOne / Meville / 0172-4142-9016

6. This weekend, for the first time the coupon actually scanned in correctly at the customer service desk. I figured it was going to be a nightmare because I was asking the girl to take the $5 off a previous purchase (never ask a woman to do a man's job ) but it scanned without a hitch and she credited me back $5 + tax.

Five minutes later, at a regular register in the same store, the same coupon failed to scan for another $19.99 regularly priced game.

Maybe you guys getting hassled at the registers will have better luck at customer service.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yoshi View Post
    burgundy is the only conceivable choice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drewbacca View Post
    I have an Alcatraz-style all-star butthole.

7. I've been looking for weeks. My Best Buy has totally run out of Gamer Gift cards and hasn't restocked. I see lots and lots of "GCs for Dad" or "GCs for the Grad" or whatnot... but no my GGCs... sigh.

8. The first time I did this, the cashier rang up the GGC along with the game I wanted the $5 off on. I had to explain that they were 2 different transactions. He did not understand why the register would not take the GGC as payment for the sale. I had to actually point out that as far as the register was concerned, the card was not active till the sale was concluded.
    Now I take up what ever gift cards we are getting, and when the sale is finished, remove all the coupons and take them and the cards to my fiance who then buys the games using the cards and coupons.

When ever I have some extra money, I make a trip to BB and plop some more cash on a card so we can have the coupons and the cards ready for those purchases we have to have on release day.