Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Let's recap: Andro Dunos (ARC/NG).

1. Neo-Geo Let's recap: Andro Dunos (ARC/NG).

Andro Dunos (ARC/NG, Visco, 1992.06.15)

Visco has always been a secondary developer. Saving the Drift Out and the Shimasho series they're still to do something really trascendent. Andro Dunos was the first game to clearly show this company's preferences: to imitate relevant games in order to obtain an immediate acceptance. Let's recap:

It's not too hard to realize where this game took the inspiration from just by looking at a single snapshot. Zero Wing and Gradius are evidently "homaged" in Andro Dunos. Visco didn't even try to make something visually different to the late 80's games, and that was their biggest fault. In the moment of Andro Dunos' appearance, games as Last Resort, US Navy (Carrier Airwing) or Thunder Cross II were widely present in the arcades, and they had far better visuals than Visco's little cameo. 'Cause Andro Dunos' gameplay is solid enough to keep you playing for a while. The weapon system is interesting (if you ignore the stupid charging attack, which levels down the main weapon every time it's used), stages' structure is wisely studied and bosses are funny to fight. Some basic enemies are a bit unfair, but you'll learn how to avoid them all.

I'm not trying to say this is a brilliant game, but it's better than it seems to be initially. Graphics are poor, but the music is well composed and a two-player option is included. Just don't play it after your usual Pulstar session.

I forgot I had this game in NeoRageX. It must not have been very good, as it doesn't really stick out in my mind as much as it should were it worthy.

Think I'll give it another whack sometime. But not after Pulstar.

3. I still have it on my computer, but I never really bothered to play it much. It's weird though, most elements from a good shmup are there, except the one that makes you wanna play it.

4. Andro Dunos was and always will be complete shit. Why play AD when you can play Last Resort or Viewpoint? Even most Genesis shooters are better than AD, (TF3, TF4, Battle Mania 2, Biohazard Battle).

Complete and total crap that's not even worth playing in emulation.

Yeah, Andro Dunos is nothing special at all.

Now Flip Shot, that's Visco's best Neo Geo game, I think.

6. Wow Recap, this is the first game you've shined your spotlight on that I just plain do not like. Not the worst game I ever played but like Jeff, my attitude is "why bother?" To be honest though I don't remember that yellow stage and I like the color. So I guess I'll have to do the NeoRage trick

"Now Flip Shot, that's Visco's best Neo Geo game, I think."

Blasphemer! Neo DriftOut!

Pa

7. i didn't think andro dunos was all that bad. but then again, if it's a shooter, i'm always gonna say that. anyway, it's no blazing star or anything but it's nice to have in the collection and play once in a while.

i've never played flip shot. does it play anything like windjammers?

I played Windjammers once a long time ago so I don't remember it well but the games are similar. They're both simple, Pong-type games. I liked Flip Shot a lot more though.

9. hack, gag, yuck, yuck
    Have a Pile of Shame? Destroy it! Join the Warpact

10. Quote Originally Posted by NeoZeedeater
    Yeah, Andro Dunos is nothing special at all.

Now Flip Shot, that's Visco's best Neo Geo game, I think.
    It is said to be surpassed by its sequel, Bang Bead, which remained as an MVS proto 'till not too long ago.

Quote Originally Posted by PaCrappa
    Wow Recap, this is the first game you've shined your spotlight on that I just plain do not like. Not the worst game I ever played but like Jeff, my attitude is "why bother?"
    Pa

Wait until you see Ushio to Tora...