Thread: To Live & Die In L.A. - on DVD 12/2/03

1. To Live & Die In L.A. - on DVD 12/2/03

At last, William Friedkin's 1985 corrupt-cop caper is being released on DVD. Starring William L. Petersen (as the edgy cop) and Willem Dafoe (brilliant as usual as a counterfeiter/art dealer), L.A. also has one of the coolest car chases ever, both in action and in discovering who's chasing who, and why. The film oozes with 1980s excessivity, but that's definitely one of the reasons it's so cool. Or maybe it's because parts of it were filmed in Pasadena, where I grew up.

Nah, it's gotta be the perfect Wang Chung soundtrack!

Great cinematography & acting, a very interesting & surprising plot with a somewhat disturbing ending, and tons of cool action make this a crime favorite of mine.

The disc is widescreen and has commentary by Friedkin, deleted scenes/alternate ending, and a making-of doc.

It also stars John Pankow, Dean Stockwell, Robert Downey Jr. and John Turturro.

I can finally store my VHS copy!

Satoshi Kon: 1963-2010

2. Good news I like this film, though its been quite a while since I seen it last time.

The car chase was great, and as with all Friedkin films it was bloody and violent as hell

3. I really want to see this, so I can't wait until/if my library gets a copy.

I should probably bring down my expectations though since I hear the 80s atmosphere can get real cheesy.

4. This was a great movie. Really intense and stylish. And yeah, that Wang Chung soundtrack rocks.

Also, this movie did a very cool, unconventional thing:
    The main character takes a shotgun blast in the face from out of nowhere! Nice. You don't usually see the main character killed off. Then his wimpy sidekick had to step up and finish things.
    I'll check out the DVD.

Dolemite, the Bad-Ass King of all Pimps and Hustlers
    Gymkata: I mean look at da lil playah woblin his way into our hearts in the sig awwwwwww

5. Yep, How many movies do that. Good point D