Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12346 ... LastLast

Thread: December Comic Book Thread

1. Quote Originally Posted by DjRocca
    I fricking hate the comic store near my place, theyres nothing but generic novels and books of shit you'd expect to see. i.e. marvel, dc, etc...
    no darkhorse? manga??

2. What the..??

Five straight days and no one touches this thread, especially with all the good books that came out last week?! Hell, I'm just as guilty.

I bought a bunch of books, including Ultimates #12 and Ultimate Spider-Man #50 (my first one since USM #1), but I really only want to talk about 1 book, for now..

Captain America #21: The initial draw was Bachalo's art. I've been a fan since he first came on the scene. I understand his work can be hard to follow (and it still is, which I'll touch on later), but his style is very reminiscent to my favorite comic artist of all time, Michael Golden, and for that reason, his work will always get good lovin' from me.

The beginning and Bridge action sequences left me scratching my head, and treating the book like a David Mack Daredevil issue, where one has to play Twister with the mag to make sure they haven't missed anything. Did Cap really just throw a KNIFE at someone's HEAD?! Is that Steve Rogers shooting 9mm handguns? I know he's a soldier and all, so guns should be like his best friend, but it just seemed... unbecoming.

And hasn't this story been done before, just a few arcs ago? Is Steve so patriotic that he can turn a blind eye to his country's evils, or are his moral convictions strong enough to turn him against his beloved homeland? Sounds like a familiar story, one that I've read in this very book not too long ago.

It's been well stated that Rebecca just feels so rushed into this guy's life. I think we'd all rather see Diamondback. Btw, whatever happened to Sharon Carter? Is she dead?

As much as I had anticipated this book, I'm left on the fence. The artwork was good but confusing, the story is too familiar, too soon, the dialogue didn't feel natural and Steve appears to play government puppet once again. I'm starting to think 616 Cap is really just a character who is a by-product of a time gone by, and that he simply is not needed today. Ultimate Cap, on the other hand, seems to have the right idea.

Cap is just a hard guy to peg down. There's many stories you can do with him, ranging from political, racial, religious, economical storylines. But since he's such an iconic figure in the Marvel U., no writer will ever get down and dirty with him. What are the ultimate lengths Cap is willing to go to secure freedom and equality for all? In the big picture, just how much can one man, even Captain America, do? It's easy to pound on a supervillain, but it's much more difficult to actively take a stand in real-world problems. Doesn't Cap ever experience just the slightest bit of doubt that he's making a difference? We really need someone with balls to push the envelope with this character and the country he loves. And then make it have lasting effects.

I was hoping this was the Cap we were going to see in this arc, but here we go again with the shadowy government ops, Cap's incessant head-nodding to anything the government wants him to do, only to find out he's been betrayed or some (new) supervillain is behind it all and lame romance that goes nowhere fast.

It's only the first issue. Anything can happen. But so far, I'm not excited.

3. Oh Will,

Dec. 22.. you free? I'll leave work early that day to meet you if so.

4. Gah - You didnt like Captain America #21 Bloody? I thought it was pretty good.I really dug Bachalos art and the way he drew Cap especially in the first fight scene had him looking like a total bad-ass.I also liked the bit of characterization that was thrown in between with Cap at the restaurant and having him walking around talking with his new friend. It just shows that even though he's an Avenger he can still be personable and easy going. Oh and he didnt throw the knife at the terrorists face. Re-look at the panels , he threw it at the bananas in the tree which landed on the terrorist knocked out by bananas - jeez. But I think his more edgier look and attitude is probably the result of the popularity the Ultimates' Cap is getting for being that way in said book.

Speaking of Ultimates. #12. about damn time.Hitchs art - pimp as usual. Everything else just ... Woah The scene with Thor -- he could win the war on his own probably. Cap whipping the aliens ass - good stuff - best line of the year in comics when Kleiser is telling him to surrender----
    " You think this letter on my head stands for France"
    I still dont understand releasing Banner back out into the world though - Thor seemed to be holding his own just fine..

Ultimate Spiderman #50 - Bendis and Bagley still keeping it going - hope they never leave. Thumbs up on the Black Cat design. She doesnt look TOO different but looks a bit cooler than her old Marvel outfit. Did she always have these powers of luck though. Maybe its been a while since I read a Black Cat story but I dont remember her having these powers in the old Marvel U.

Batman Superman#4 - Them versus some heroes. I was starting to question why the hell Power Girl would betray Supes as they were pretty close - Glad to see she hasnt. But John Stewart and Starfire - cant believe they'd be so dense - is Grodd still hiding somewhere controlling them ?
    The only part where Batman and Supes made a seroiusly obvious fuck-up was in switching adversaries in the Hawkman/Shazam fight. Bats could have taken Hawkman - But no fucking way could he have taken Shazam w/o some prepartion beforehand. They deserved to lose that fight based on that stupid decision alone...

Anyways though Great books this week

5. Quote Originally Posted by bloodyarts
    Oh Will,

Dec. 22.. you free? I'll leave work early that day to meet you if so.
    Sounds good to me.

BTW why does everyone call reg Marvel Continuity 616? Whats the significance in that number?

Quote Originally Posted by Jetman
    Ultimate Spiderman #50 - Bendis and Bagley still keeping it going - hope they never leave. Thumbs up on the Black Cat design. She doesnt look TOO different but looks a bit cooler than her old Marvel outfit. Did she always have these powers of luck though. Maybe its been a while since I read a Black Cat story but I dont remember her having these powers in the old Marvel U.
    I don't remember that power myself but then again I'm not really that familiar with the character and she hasn't been in Spiderman in a long time barring the Kevin Smith series which I'm STILL WAITING FOR A TRADE FOR DOUCHEBAG. They should just release the final one with the trade and be done with it.

Batman Superman#4 - Them versus some heroes. I was starting to question why the hell Power Girl would betray Supes as they were pretty close - Glad to see she hasnt. But John Stewart and Starfire - cant believe they'd be so dense - is Grodd still hiding somewhere controlling them ?
    The only part where Batman and Supes made a seroiusly obvious fuck-up was in switching adversaries in the Hawkman/Shazam fight. Bats could have taken Hawkman - But no fucking way could he have taken Shazam w/o some prepartion beforehand. They deserved to lose that fight based on that stupid decision alone...
    I agree, I liked the issue alot though. Captain Atom has been punked in every issue I've seen him in, kind of sad. I wish Ed McG stayed throughout the whole run, I don't see the big deal Mike Turner is and why everyone loves his art.

6. Just finished USM num ber 50. GOod, good stuff. My only complaint is there wasn't much dialog... of course this was because much of the issue had to do with the Black Cat sneaking around but a lack of dialog = the issue going by in the blink of an eye. Oh, and who is this "Galdoff" character mentioned in the letters section? Was that the kid who was blowing cars up and stuff?

I picked up so much stuff otherwise, I hadn't been to my shop in a month. Read the latest UXM, that was pretty good. I'm pretty confused by the last few pages... who was Jean talking to before Scott came in? I guess it's supposed to be a mystery. Did anyone else get a weird vibe from the scene with Xavier and Jean, telling Nightcrawler to leave them alone? Also, what is that ring that Wolvie's holding on the last page?
    I thought you were gay.... i guess not.

7. Guys, guys, I've been so busy at work I haven't had time to bullshit with the boys (girls?). What can I say, I'm a plumber in NY and its winter time. These comics aint buying themselves.

First things first, Bachelo on Captain America is like Bachelo on any other title: wasted shelf space in the comicbook store. There are people that dislike him, but after he destroyed any love I could get from Ultimate War last year, I dislike him venomously. More power to you guys who don't mind flipping your comics upside down to try an make out whatever he's drawing. I'll wait until a new creative team takes over Cap.

I have been reading constantly and here are a few that I overly enjoyed...

Ultimates # 12--Did anyone dislike this book? It was hard to, and I'm not about to try. Fury's reaction to Thor's attack was perfect. "I thought this guys was a pacafist, man!"
    Oh, and I loved the idea of Banner being dropped in. For those that didn't understand this keep in mind there is about four minutes until the entire solar system is completly wiped out, so encouraging the Hulk to kick some ass wasn't that dangerous of a move all things considered. It was one of their last resorts, and even then they didn't decide to drop him until they saw the alien Cap fought--the one who had his head blown off, was impaled by a US Army Jet and was impaled on Captain America's shield--began to recooperate--again. Let us pray they get on a bi-monthly schedule.

Ultimate Spidey #50--Loved the issue, hated Black Cat's costume. I'm sorry, I'm not 14 and I don't need my female characters with clevage as big as melons. I appreciate Jim Lee's Catwoman even more now and wouldn't have minded one bit if B&B ripped perfection. You guys shouldn't be concerned if Black Cat's skill in luck was rarely treaded upon in comics of the past. Ultimate line is Bendis's chance to reintroduce these skills in ways never thought of.

Caper # 2--Love this comic. You guys should be reading this. This is quality stuff, with great dialogue, messy violence and anti-heros. Buy the first two issues, if your not impressed I'll buy them off of you--nah not really.

Powers # 35--Of course he had to be banging both of them. How could he not? What is the name of the cop in Powers? Whatever it is, I can't help but wonder what is up with him and women and their ineviatble death. I hope this series never ends. For the record I have a great idea for a Planetary/Powers one-shot. But it would require both Cassady and Oming to do it proper.

Hulk: Gray #3--I loved DD:Yellow, and didn't hate Spider-Man Blue, but I know that Hulk:Gray has me bored. This tale isn't offering up anything of interest. I literally past out while reading issue three.

Ultimate Six #4--Am I the only one enjoying this series (which has been bumped up to seven issues to accomadate everything Bendis wants to do with the action scenes) to death? I hope not. Harsine's art improves with each issue and does my favorite rendition of Green Goblin. I know many people feel Bendis builds these tales up to slowly, but I hope he never changes. His characterization is flawless.

TRAGIC It is indeed a mystery who Jean was talking to. Possibly the Phoinex, but usually there is a little flare to the word bubble when its the Phoinex talking. And yes, the scene with Xavier and Nightcrawler was uncomfortable. Hopefully this will be touched upon.
    The ring, by the way, is Logan's only proof that he had a past that might not have involved killing. Truth be told, I'm interested in Logan's backstory, but I'm equally interested in other characters and hope these will be fleshed out as well.
    The TP should be out soon, and Finch's art is worth the price of admission.
    It's just a cool action story with some great dialoge, but I'll admit that nothing is ever really resolved, but more questions are made and I think that the General introduced at the end of the story will make an interesting side character.

That's it for me, guys. Hope you're all well.

8. I'm so sick of the Ultimates. It's hard to maintain interest in a book when there's like a large part of a year between issues.

9. Quote Originally Posted by negitoro
    I'm so sick of the Ultimates. It's hard to maintain interest in a book when there's like a large part of a year between issues.
    So don't buy the monthly and wait for the trades for smoother reading.

10. Quote Originally Posted by BEBOPlover
    Guys, guys, I've been so busy at work I haven't had time to bullshit with the boys (girls?). What can I say, I'm a plumber in NY and its winter time. These comics aint buying themselves.

First things first, Bachelo on Captain America is like Bachelo on any other title: wasted shelf space in the comicbook store. There are people that dislike him, but after he destroyed any love I could get from Ultimate War last year, I dislike him venomously. More power to you guys who don't mind flipping your comics upside down to try an make out whatever he's drawing. I'll wait until a new creative team takes over Cap.
    Aww - I liked Bachalos Cap - I also liked his take on the Ultimate War. I think he has a distinctive art style, but I guess it isnt for everyone...

Quote Originally Posted by BEBOPlover
    Ultimates # 12--Did anyone dislike this book? It was hard to, and I'm not about to try. Fury's reaction to Thor's attack was perfect. "I thought this guys was a pacafist, man!"
    Oh, and I loved the idea of Banner being dropped in. For those that didn't understand this keep in mind there is about four minutes until the entire solar system is completly wiped out, so encouraging the Hulk to kick some ass wasn't that dangerous of a move all things considered. It was one of their last resorts, and even then they didn't decide to drop him until they saw the alien Cap fought--the one who had his head blown off, was impaled by a US Army Jet and was impaled on Captain America's shield--began to recooperate--again. Let us pray they get on a bi-monthly schedule.
    Yeah, great book for sure. I dont agree on the whole Hulk issue though. To me Shield is just exacerbating the issue and making it worse.Hulk will just smash anything in his path human or otherwise - Its not like they can point him to the doomsday device and say " go get it boy". Also it seems like most of the fighting is being done in the air with all of the spaceships tearing shit up Independence day style.Hulk can jump around and grab onto stuff in the air but if Shield wants to release a villian/threat who can totally mop the floor with these guys they should let Magneto go. These aliens totally screw up any ideals he has for a mutant society , so Im sure he'd of helped out with their annihilation. Another thing wasnt the Doomsday device inside the New York Shield HQ? They were dropping Banner out of the copter in the Phoenix battlezone...

Another thing I liked about the book was the human factor with Stark visually looking/feeling overwhelmed by the situation. Instead of the "da ta da " super hero out take with heroes saying lets fight these guys to the death - Stark after diverting that ship was more like 'Fuck this , this is too much , I cant do this ' - puke - <paraphrasing of course>

Hulk: Gray #3--I loved DD:Yellow, and didn't hate Spider-Man Blue, but I know that Hulk:Gray has me bored. This tale isn't offering up anything of interest. I literally past out while reading issue three.
    Yeah I wasnt impressed with what I saw - Ive picked up all of Sales and Loebs Bat books and even picked up DD: Yellow - but I ended up passing on Spiderman : Blue and the Hulk. I may pick it up later when I get a chance (trade) , but Im in no hurry now. ( Did I really miss out with Spiderman: Blue ? )

Ultimate Six #4--Am I the only one enjoying this series (which has been bumped up to seven issues to accomadate everything Bendis wants to do with the action scenes) to death? I hope not. Harsine's art improves with each issue and does my favorite rendition of Green Goblin. I know many people feel Bendis builds these tales up to slowly, but I hope he never changes. His characterization is flawless.
    Definitely not. The set-up is good. Im just hoping that the rest of the story can live up to all of the hype Im feeling towards it.Harsines Goblin is good but Bagley's Goblin has him beat