Thread: vBulletin 3 Gamma FAQ

1. Uh-oh vBulletin 3 Gamma FAQ

I'll use this thread to answer the most common questions asked by TNLers regarding the new software:

I don't like my posts with the info at the top. How do I fix this?
    -
    Go into your user control panel, down to 'Edit Options', and inside the 'Thread Display' panel there's an option to use Legacy Postbit. Setting this to yes will let you use the legacy postbit. Legacy is just a word meaning old or compatible. In essence it will allow you to switch between having the poster info at the top or left of the post. Remember that this is a STYLE DEPENDANT switch, meaning I manipulate some templates in order to get it to work. So they may not work right off the bat in a new style until I modify the appropriate template...

WTF is wrong with the styles?! They're all nuts!
    -
    Change your style to either vBulletin 3 White or vBulletin 3 Gray (the widescreen variations allow you to swap between a fixed width and a variable width.) If you still have problems, log out of the forum, and delete all your TNL cookies. Yeah, the olden styles aren't here yet, but I have many other important things to take care of before them. They will make a comeback though, don't worry about that.

IE instructions:

Start -> Find/Search -> *board*.txt and *the-next*.txt in \your_windows_directory\cookies. Delete all results. Close all open IE windows, and then login again.

Mozilla instructions:

(these instructions are based off Mozilla Firebird) First, close any open instances of Firebird. Now, open your cookies.txt file located in your profile directory. Delete any lines referencing the-nextlevel.com or 'board'. Save it and log back in.
    Currently available styles:
    vBulletin 3 white (fixed width)
    vBulletin 3 white widescreen (variable width)
    vBulletin 3 gray (fixed width)
    vBulletin 3 gray widescreen (variable width)
    TNL Classic Gamma
    TNL 2.1 Gamma

Where's all my favourite hacks?!
    -
    They'll probably be coming soon. Yes, I know as of this writing the Galaga shields are a bit wonky but it was really just a 10 minute piss-poor throwtogether and the images aren't quite what they should be (in fact, if you wouldn't mind helping me out on this you Galaga experts I'd appreciate it. ) Thread descriptions were the most important hack, thusly they were added immediately after the upgrade. I'm not too sure if any of the other ones are going to make it back in, however, since many of them really did cause more problems then they solved.

The [thumbnail] tag doesn't work anymore. When I use it, it creates some crazy crap in my post. What's the deal?
    -
    If you use the WYSIWYG editor (the one that allows text formatting on-the-fly), you'll run into this problem. It's because the editor automatically changes any valid URL into a hyperlink, thusly it messes the html created by the bbcode up. I have modified the thumbnail tag slightly, so you do not need to include the http:// anymore -- this is added automatically to avoid any corrupted posts.

Can I have access to all my common forum functions without those stupid javascript menus?

Go into your Control Panel, and the last option in your Options screen will allow you to turn on or off the Javascript menus. When they are off, you will find all the normal functions such as printing/subscribing to threads, rating threads, et cetera on the forum page itself whereas with it on your screen will be less cluttered with them.

Why doesn't my signature show up in the Headlines forum?!

I commented the signatures out of the headlines forum in its entirety, just to make the forum look better. That's all.

I will add more questions as they come up.

2. 1/14/2003

Custom Display Names (temporary, pending approval)

I've added the option to set a custom display name for your post information in threads. This does not change your login information, but it does allow you to change your username in thread posts. While this option is probably useless in its execution, I saw a way to do it and couldn't pass up testing it out.

You can change your display name in your "Edit Profile" page in the User CP. Max length is 40 characters, and will probably be censored. Displaying of these custom usernames is currently limited to the vBulletin 3 White Widescreen style (which I am using to test it out on.)

Anyway, the option is there for you guys to try out. Let me know what you think about it in the Feedback forum.

Post Concatenator is back in action

After weeks of waiting, the post concatenator/double-post hack was released for vBulletin 3 and I have applied the patch to the code today. Also, in this version post concatenating updates the last post time (in essence, it "bumps" a double post.) So, have fun with that.