Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Target Earth vs Cybernator

1. Target Earth vs Cybernator

Your thoughts on both games? which one do you prefer?

For me, Target Earth's story was compelling, while Cybernator's story felt more like an afterthought. You felt like you were actually accomplishing something in Target Earth. in Cybernator, not even the characters in the game believed in what they were fighting for.

While the gameplay in Cybernator was much more advanced, they still share similarities with Target Earth. In Target Earth, the more enemies you take out, the more weapons you add to your selection for your next mission. Killing enemies in Cybernator expedites the 'cycle' of order that powerups appear after an enemy dies, allowing you to upgrade your weapons more more efficient killing

While I understand that Target Earth was an early-generation Genesis game, it doesn't excuse the fact that Cybernator's soundtrack was amazing. The game nailed the '80s anime' theme. The sprites and animation were larger for the most part (not to say there weren't large sprites and enemies in TE). Plus Cybernator gets the nod for more interesting level and character design.

Overall, what I liked the most about both games was the distinct military theme. They both contain battle simulation and RPG nuances to a degree. Also, most of the time there's a direct mission to accomplish, and direct consequences if you fail the mission. While Cybernator is more arcade-ish in nature, there's surprisingly more emphasis placed on the mission than in Target Earth.

I can't decide which game is better actually, but to me, Cybernator offers the better presentation. But both games are classic imo.

2. I've never played Cybernator, but Target Earth is the most freakishly difficult game I've ever played.

But the ending is fantastic.
    The spirit of liberty is the spirit which is not too sure it is always right. -Learned Hand

"Jesus christ you are still THE WORST." -FirstBlood

I haven't played Target Earth enough to make a full comparison but Cybernator seems more fun to me.

4. Target Earth is a FAR better game in almost every respect.

And from what little I saw of the Saturn game in the series, it didn't seem to live up to the Target Earth legacy either.
    WARNING: This post may contain violent and disturbing images.

Nver played Target Earth, but I own Cybernator, and its biggest problem is button layout. Other than that, certainly a fun mech game.

6. Originally posted by sleeveboy
    I've never played Cybernator, but Target Earth is the most freakishly difficult game I've ever played.

But the ending is fantastic.
    It took me an entire month to finish TE. The trick is to make sure you enter a 'hostile area' with your life fully charged, and find a safe haven to recharge before you enter another 'hot zone'. For me the game eased up on the difficulty once I had stonger firepower and body armor (after Level 4)

TE would get the nod for the better game from me if the game didn't alternate between two uninspired music tracks throughout most of the game. The music in Cybernator is one of my favorite game soundtracks of the 16-bit gen.

7. Good question! I'm going with Target Earth - though I played more TE than Cybernator (and I do not have Cybernator right now). The ending music alone was worth the trip through TE alone Definitly a soliders theme

ºTracer
    o_O

8. shit...great thread. I think there's just more to Target Earth than Cybernator, though I'm huge huge fans of both games. Although I recognize TE as the one with more to its gameplay and story, all in all I love Cybernator more. What can I say, I have such a weak soft spot for SNES Konami...I just have better memories playing Cybernator, it was a bit funner...maybe I just liked the bigger sprites more or something (but TE is super detailed) and those awesome huge chunky El Viento-style explosions? One thing for sure, the music in Cybernator OWNS. That's probably what helped tip the scale for me. Just the tracks on the first two stages is enough to make me want that soundtrack...I love it! Funny enough, I found both games ridiculously difficult without using cheats on stage 1; the second controller start button method to make u invincible in TE, and the 'shoot nothing but the boss' method in Cybernator. Hehe. :P

9. Personally, I'll take Metal Warriors over Cybernator.

ºTracer
    o_O

10. Ah...Metal Warriors is actually great, (despite being programmed by Konami's U.S. branch), but only as a 2 player title IMO. :P