Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Zero Tolerance or Zero Intelligence?

1. I was kinda lucky that I went to 2 schools that let me do whatever the hell I wanted. The first was an "open" school were teachers went to great lengths to encourage freedom of expression. The second was so poorly run that you could get away with anything (drug use, prostitution, playstation breaks) The only time I got in trouble was when our poetry class was compiling a booklet for school publication and this girl got her poem "cuz the whiteman is lame" accepted for publication, so hearing this I enquired if they'd also publish my spontaneously composed haiku "niggerbitch can't write" needless to say my teacher wasn't pleased

Hell at my second HS when me and an administrator were unpacking computer equipment on a school day I gave him my tactical folder to open the boxes with and he didn't bat an eye.

2. The only time I got in trouble was when our poetry class was compiling a booklet for school publication and this girl got her poem "cuz the whiteman is lame" accepted for publication, so hearing this I enquired if they'd also publish my spontaneously composed haiku "niggerbitch can't write" needless to say my teacher wasn't pleased

3. Sounds like 1984. Kicked out for giving another student Advil? Oh, for fuck's sake!

Being led off in handcuffs for drawing a gun reeks of 1939 Germany. So what is next, you get expelled for talking about Tumbleweed Restaurant's ad? (Need the Weed) Oops... I said it 2 times. Oh shit, here come that school's thought police to my door. "Aufmachen!"

If I were in HS now, I'd be extremely desirous to go with home-schooling. They can take their zero tolerance crap and fucking shove it. If you wrote a crime drama for creative writing, you could have potential hell to pay. Pfft.

One friend of mine wore a "Shit Happens" T-shirt at a Putt Putt Golf & Games some time ago. They made him turn it inside out.

4. When I was in grade school, we had some kids who liked drawing pictures of swastikas on stuff. Nobody ever complained about it, and it was only later on in life that I learned what it represented and realized that they apparently came from neo-nazi families.

Not a very enlightened neighbourhood, apparently.

5. I don't really remember any of that kind of stuff happening around here. I know that the schools I went to didn't allow alcohol, drug, or cigarette shirts. Everything else was open.

As far as pills, I know I used to take Tavist to school all the time, as well as occasionally penicillin and even forms of codeine for headaches. I know that now, at least in elementary, parents have to give medications and directions to the nurse. If it's a medication that needs to be taken immediately at random times of the day, the kid can carry it with them. If it's to be taken at a set time, it's kept in the clinic.

6. freshman year, two girls I knew and occasionally hung out with were passing out something to a bunch of people for cash and cigerrattes. i remember cus I had to walk this girl around and hide her from the teachers for like hours with the other chick who had taken like 8. that was just like... wow... dumbasses.

the worst is the ones where some kid sees and regognizes that thier friend is having an asthma attack and lets them puff on thier enhaler, saving their life, but get suspended. thats just retarted.

7. A little research online yielded this article. It's a long read, but I have to do something to pass the hours

It had at least a partial answer to one of the questions I had:

Quote Originally Posted by Masaka
    Granted, I don't see any numbers about how gun or drug incidents have been affected by these policies yet, all we hear about are the slip ups.
    The numbers are kind of old, but it seems that principals are way more concerned with students showing up at all rather than showing up with a gun or a couple of dime bags.

Quote Originally Posted by burgundy
    I don't think kids should be thrown out of high school for smoking weed. They should be disciplined and sent to rehab, maybe, but there's no good in destroying a kid's education and ultimately his future because he made what some would consider a stupid mistake.
    That pretty much sums up how I feel. What kind of education are you giving somebody if they fuck up once and they're told "Whelp, sorry kid, one strike and you're out."

I do know that my old school has really gone downhill since my days there. I don't know of any zero tolerance policies there, but I think what they really need is new leadership. My old principal is still in charge, and apparently once her husband passed away several years ago, she hasn't been nearly the disciplinarian she was.

8. Quote Originally Posted by Chibi Nappa
    If anything the teachers recognized my drawing ability and encouraged further development of it.
    Damn straight. This crap today is pussifying kids and removing any want to develop actual talent. Worthless.
    Quote Originally Posted by 680x0
    The only time I got in trouble was when our poetry class was compiling a booklet for school publication and this girl got her poem "cuz the whiteman is lame" accepted for publication, so hearing this I enquired if they'd also publish my spontaneously composed haiku "niggerbitch can't write" needless to say my teacher wasn't pleased
    That's really funny, sounds like something I would've done. Granted, I couldn't have used the word "niggerbitch" and gotten away with it but I would've found something suitably appropiate to match up.

My teachers in HS really didn't like me. My words were too quick with sarcasm.

9. sounds familiar. in my school district (when i was in high school) they'd expell you for aspirin no questions asked. pretty fucking lame if you ask me. we also had the metal detectors like 4 times a year. but theyd only allow us to come in 2 doorways and when you see a couple hundred people waiting to get in you know whats up and would leave anything behind. stoopid schools i say.

10. I would say that the public school is one of the more corrupt institutions in the US, it's like a fucking brainwash facility where they make you dumb rather then smart (difficult to explain if you don't get me already). I have not benefited in anyway from school, and I doubt I will...anything they teach is way too basic or irrelevent to be beneficial to anyone.
    http://www.the-nextlevel.com/board/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=1739&dateline=1225393453