Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Screw spiderman, anyone see hollywood ending?

1. I liked Spiderman

Still, I wish the guy had more success with his movies. Do you know which of his films have made the most money? I don't.

2. Originally posted by Green
    I liked Spiderman

Still, I wish the guy had more success with his movies. Do you know which of his films have made the most money? I don't
    I'm not saying its wrong to like spiderman or any other big budget hollywood movie. i just think that too many people are being influenced by special effects and commerical appeal. More emphasis needs to be placed on films as forms of art, not mindless entertainment.

as far as woody's films, i know that annie hall made about $38 million at the US box office. and with a budget of about $4 million, thats a good profit. I just think that is ridiculous that a film like spiderman has a budget of $139(!) million dollars, when woody has recently made movies with budgets under $1 million. give woody $3 million and he'll make a film that will be remembered forever. spiderman cost about 1/6th of a BILLION dollars to make, and it will be forgotten next week when star wars comes out. . im not sure if there is apoint to this post, but hopefully someone understands what im trying to get at

3. I undertand what you mean. More often it is the smaller and lesser known films that have the larger impact on a person and movie makers. However, if you are like me, and read Spiderman comics as a kid, then it has always been a dream to see to him up on the big screen. I'm happy it had such a large budget because they could get his swinging and gymnastics right. Sure, it seems silly, but it is important to the fans, and I don't think Spiderman will be forgotten for a long time. To me, a good movie is a good movie regardless of money put into it. When my friend and I were watching Spiderman, we made fun of it the whole time how absurd the dialogue and situations were, but when Spidey made his first swings though New York, we were floored. I'm just not that surprised that Hollywood Ending made so little; when I seen Curse of the Jade Scorpian, it was just me and my mom in the theatre. I would be upset if I know that Allen is floundering and can't make the movies he wants to because of budget constaints. He pretty much makes a movie a year, right? I just don't know if he is unhappy with his situation, so I can't really make any knowledgable comments.

4. since you are a fan of the comic books, and you enjoyed the movie, thats a good thing. when people asked me if i was gonna see spiderman when it opened up, I said "no" for 2 reasons.
    1. if i take up a seat, that is one seat that is taken away from a possible fan of the comic book, which i am not
    2. if a woody allen film and spiderman were playing in the same theatre, i would be going against everything i stand for if i saw spiderman over a woody allen film

I don't think woody is unhappy. afterall, he said he is happy even if his films just break even. i'm sure he could get bigger paychecks and larger budgets if he "sold out", but he is different. he has made millions of dollars and fans because of wellmade films filled with clever writing, so why should he do any different? i respect him for that.

i've said my share about money and politics. lets talk about some films.

5. Hmm, I saw Hollywood Ending yesterday night and I really didn't like it much at all.

It had a few funny parts in it, but it definately wasn't one of his best movies. The whole "I'm blind" bit got old really quick. Still, Woody's self humor was still funny.
    -Mullet Jockey-
    Check out my site!
    Eat. Sleep. Music.

6. Originally posted by Kinopio
    when woody has recently made movies with budgets under $1 million. give woody $3 million and he'll make a film that will be remembered forever.
    That's not true. Woody Allen movies usually cost around $15 million to produce.

I would be upset if I know that Allen is floundering and can't make the movies he wants to because of budget constaints. He pretty much makes a movie a year, right? I just don't know if he is unhappy with his situation, so I can't really make any knowledgable comments.
    I wouldn't lose any sleep over it. I read a recent interview in the local paper with him and he seems like a really blithe fellow. He has a lot of clout in the industry so I don't think he has any problem gathering up funds (considering they're all relatively cheap to make). When he was asked if felt he was underappreciated, he replied that he felt he was overappreciated. Funny guy. And to top it all off, girls half his age want to sleep with him.

7. Originally posted by Sqoon

That's not true. Woody Allen movies usually cost around $15 million to produce.
    Usually. but according to the IMDB, the budget for celebrity was $800,000, and annie hall was $4 million. $800,000 seems really low, did leo dicaprio work for free or something?

8. Finally seen it. I liked it, but I hope he starts making better movies. This one was just like the last two: small, charming movies. I hope he doesn't keep on making these low key flicks, I want another Deconstructing Harry (which is one of my favorite Allen movies), something I'd wanna see more than once.