Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3567

Thread: Tekken 4: Most broken fighter ever?

1. Originally posted by rezo

anyways, my previous post was basically a reaction to this topic and many others like it(such as Mode7 saying people who didn't like Giga Wing 2 said so because they died often, or something to that effect).
    Namely, having more experience in a game, or knowledge thereof, does not make a game arbitrarily good somehow. But these topics always(almost) come off as a "I know more than you, so don't bother disagreeing with my judgement" And this can be seen directly in posts defending Tekken. Hell, there are Mortal Kombat masters out there. At least this topic hasn't fallen into the "I LIKE the game, you don't like it, YOU don't play it." talk-ending-nonsense that hits these things and people are pursuing a discussion of sorts.
    Well, I have to point out that once again I am not defending Tekken 4 as a good game. I have previously posted my complaints with the game, and I have many complaints with it. My original post was a defense of Tekken 4 against the complaints of people who obviously know very little of the game. People who watched the combo video and thought that Tekken was somehow "broken" because an infinite juggle like that was possible. I explained why that video didn't prove anything about the actual "brokenness" of Tekken.

You make a very good point about comparitive knowledge, and I don't want anyone to think that I am trying to tell them what to think of Tekken 4 because I know more than them about the game. That was not the point of any of my posts and I hope they didn't come across like that. People were bringing up complaints against the game that I did not think were fair, so I posted why I believed they were wrong. I'm not trying to change anyone's mind about the game. If you don't like the game, you don't like the game, but I don't want people to come in here and make inaccurate statements about the game based on their limited experience. If someone watches that combo video and thinks "man, Tekken 4 is really dumb, that looks so easy to do and it takes off every bit of the opponent's life" and they have barely played the game, I'm going to correct them. There is no way in hell a person can play the game for a little bit of time and do stuff like that. I'm not saying that people can't come in here and voice their opinion even if they know very little about the game, but if someone were to come in here and say something like "Castlevania: SOTN is the worst RPG I've ever played" you would probably want to correct that person about the game not being an RPG. I don't want to sit here and let other people tell me how good a game is, but at the same time if someone criticizes a game unfairly, I think I have the right to correct them.

I thought a lot of people on this thread were throwing out unfair criticisms of Tekken. As for the comment about "reducing Tekken's gameplay to simple button mashing and throwing" that was mainly in response to Master of 7s, I don't really think that Mech Dues was "reducing Tekken's gameplay" or simplifying it, he was just stating that he though throw's were overpowered. Master of 7s, however, said this:
    "When I can just step up to a cabinet and deliberately start mashing buttons and win four times in a row, I'm done. Sure some of the flashier combos require expert timing and SOME modocum of skill, but unless you are playing against a total Tekken newb that doesn't know how to change the flow of a fight you won't be using them in a real fight. "
    To me, in this statement he is most definitely simplifying Tekken's gameplay. He is making a generalized statment about all Tekken playing when he says "unless you are playing against a total Tekken newb that doesn't know how to change the flow of a fight you won't be using them in a real fight." Master of 7s is definitely making a statement here that I don't think he knows enough about to make. This is similar to me saying that no one should play Ryu in Street Fighter 3rd strike unless they're playing complete newbies. I know next to nothing about SF3:3S, so I don't think that I could make a sweeping statement like that. So I do not think that there was any irony in my statement about broad generalizations, although I included MechDues's comment when I shouldn't have.

2. the irony would be in putting Mechdeus's statement in there, which
    you agree was a mistake. As for Master of 7's post, yeah, you were
    right.

thinks "man, Tekken 4 is really dumb, that looks so easy to do and it takes off every bit of the opponent's life" and they have barely played the game, I'm going to correct them.
    I agree with this. Even though I don't think such combos should exist at all in games, but that's just personal preference. yeah, this topic could have run on with people trashing tekken arbitrarily and not needing any reasoning since everyone was agreeing. I'd say in that respect it was better for you to jump in. and I agree with about everything else in your last post, so I'll step out now.

3. Further proof that it's impossible to argue over fighting games. No one will cave in.

I won't say T4 is crap, nor will I say I love it. I've played a whopping three rounds of it.

While I do feel this is kinda pointless, I'm sure you'd find me defending Virtual On for hours on end ...especially if someone said "It's not a fighting game".

4. If my memory of her has an expiration date, let it be 10,000 years.

5. Originally posted by Reno
    How about we just agree that Dead or Alive 3 is way more broken than Tekken 4 could hope to be

Reno,

Now that you should be free of your NDA, there really isn't shit extra aside from the costumes and new CG on the DOA3 add-on disc, is there?