Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: .hack

1. Quote Originally Posted by ferricide
    they're short, they're easy enough if you're good with the genre, and they're pretty fun for awhile, but the series runs out of steam before it runs out of discs.
    I've clocked in 90 hrs or so though part 3, so that makes 30 hrs/game. Yeah, that's short, isn't it.

Anyone who's tried it will either love or hate this series.

2. Quote Originally Posted by ferricide

i find it particularly galling that in 4 $50 games, you actually get less new content than you would in 1 $50 RPG, probably. there are barely any new environments after the first game. barely any new music. it's ridiculous.
    But....but...you get Liminality..

3. PC

Quote Originally Posted by RedCoKid
    I've clocked in 90 hrs or so though part 3, so that makes 30 hrs/game. Yeah, that's short, isn't it.

Anyone who's tried it will either love or hate this series.
    I don't love or hate it.

I really liked almost everything about it but I feel very let down by the value aspect. The gameplay is not perfect but I thought it was more than adequate. I thought the character design, plot, and world was really top notch - magical even - and that's why it's so disappointing that the game feels like such a rip off when you realise it's essentially $200 usd for a single game.

Regardless of what people say, a lot of the "hate" stems from bitterness over this issue and not because the game is "that bad". It's human nature.

It should have been a single game - or at the most two. Barring that they should have been budget priced ($20u). If this was the case I think the 90% of the complaints would have disappeared. The way it turned out even many of the most enthsiastic supporters (like myself) were alienated. I regret buying the first game now, even though I enjoyed it as much as anyone.

I'll buy the rest of the series when they hit bargain bin/clearance prices. If they don't - so be it, since I have plenty of other games to play. What a shame.

4. I bought them all

5. Due to the decidely mixed reaction to this game, and the fact that most fans of the game seem to be fans of the anime, I think I'll go for FFX-2 instead, as my next J-RPG. The way FFX-2 is set up seems really conceptually brilliant.

6. Quote Originally Posted by CountZero
    Due to the decidely mixed reaction to this game, and the fact that most fans of the game seem to be fans of the anime, I think I'll go for FFX-2 instead, as my next J-RPG. The way FFX-2 is set up seems really conceptually brilliant.
    Expect another letdown then. Go with Disgaea instead.
    R.I.P Kao Megura (1979-2004)

7. Quote Originally Posted by Roufuss
    Expect another letdown then. Go with Disgaea instead.
    Disgaea isn't an RPG.

And I'm pretty sure I'll like FFX-2. It's really the kind of game I like - pretty safe choice for me. One thing that's cool about it is the fact that it's a game in which all the main characters are female, but it's targetted at boys. There aren't many games with female main characters, aside from the femme-fatale spy type of thing.

8. Quote Originally Posted by CountZero
    Disgaea isn't an RPG.
    That's like saying a hamburger isn't a sandwich.

9. Quote Originally Posted by ViciousJazz
    That's like saying a hamburger isn't a sandwich.
    Not so much - Disgaea really isn't an RPG.

10. Quote Originally Posted by CountZero
    Not so much - Disgaea really isn't an RPG.
    What makes it NOT an RPG? You are effectively saying that Strat RPG's are not RPG's in the traditional sense. But it's just like the hamburger. You can call it whatever you want, but regardless it's still the same ingredients stuffed between two slices of bread.