Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: .hack

1. .hack

So, yeah, I'm interested in delving into the .hack series. But I'm also pretty leery - I mean, starting a four-game series is a pretty big comitment.

Do these games do a good job of making you want to keep playing? Is the story developed well from one game to the next, building on each other in a satisfying way? Does it get too repetetive? What are the greatest strengths and weaknesses of these games?

I love the concept of the series, but I'm just not sure if it's worth it.

2. Quote Originally Posted by CountZero
    Do these games do a good job of making you want to keep playing?
    Nope.

Does it get too repetetive?
    It totally gets too repetitive. At it's core, the game is a dungeon crawler. And when you have combat that is mind-numbling dull as .hack, I had zero incentive to continue playing. You fight the same enemies, go to very similar looking (and drab to boot) locales over-and-over.

Not fun, the story is cool, but not nearly cool enough for me not to return my copy.

3. Quote Originally Posted by Kidnemo
    It totally gets too repetitive. At it's core, the game is a dungeon crawler. And when you have combat that is mind-numbling dull as .hack, I had zero incentive to continue playing. You fight the same enemies, go to very similar looking (and drab to boot) locales over-and-over.

Not fun, the story is cool, but not nearly cool enough for me not to return my copy.
    That's too bad that the gameplay is so repetetive that it sinks the cool story. The premise is so great.

Do most people agree that it's not worth it?

4. I think its worth it with each game at $30. As new parts come out, older ones usually drop to $30... the ideal price for such a simple game.
    Don't get me wrong, it's a good series, I have a lot of fun with it, but not $50 a piece fun.

5. Quote Originally Posted by ChaoofNee
    I think its worth it with each game at $30. As new parts come out, older ones usually drop to $30... the ideal price for such a simple game.
    Don't get me wrong, it's a good series, I have a lot of fun with it, but not $50 a piece fun.
    Maybe they're release a 4-game box set or something. It would make sense.

6. Quote Originally Posted by CountZero
    Maybe they're release a 4-game box set or something. It would make sense.
    They are actually planning on releasing a box with the last game, so it might not be too surprising to see entire boxsets eventually.

As far as the games go, I got addicted. I borrowed my friend's Infection and I got addicted to the trading system. Next thing you know I'm loving the game.

7. I guess since I'm the resident .hack junkie it kinda sways my opinion. I bought them all at $50, but the problem is I'd play them for a week, then let is slide. Then I'd find out when the next release was, then a week before it slam through the game in time for the next...

I like 'em.

8. I'd be willing to try the first .hack but for now i have too many titles to finish.

9. Quote Originally Posted by Kidnemo

This is exactly how I felt. I loved the story, and the premise is beautiful, but the gameplay is downright appalling. You just kind of mash the button, and you never really switch weapons at all.

The environments are really boring, and there's no real combo system to speak of, so you basacially just mash the attack button, heal when you have to, rinse and repeat.

Maybe volumes 2-4 change things up? Because I found Volume 1 to be fun, until it just became a chore to keep playing, and I lost my interest in volumes 2-4.
    R.I.P Kao Megura (1979-2004)

10. The game itself is pretty good - but not great. It's just not worth buying it four times for what's essentially one game. They should have made the whole thing span two games - or have released the games for $20.