Thread: The Strike Series: From Desert Strike to Nuclear Strike

1. The Strike Series: From Desert Strike to Nuclear Strike

Amazingly, EA's old Soviet Strike website is still up and running, and it had this little run down of series:

THE HISTORY OF STRIKE: Strike has appeared on multiple platforms since it's introduction in 1992: The Sega™ Genesis™, Super NES™, Amiga®, GameBoy™, Sega™ GameGear™, and IBM® have seen versions of some or all the first three STRIKE games. DESERT STRIKE™ was released on the Sega™ Genesis™ on April 1st, 1992. The same year EA released the Super NES™ version. JUNGLE STRIKE™ was released 18 months later,on the Genesis™. URBAN STRIKE™ came 18 months later, again only on the Genesis. Meanwhile, we had licensed JUNGLE for the Super NES™ which shipped in July 1995, and we saw the Super NES™ version of URBAN ship in our last fiscal year. In each version of the game new features, vehicles, and enemies were included to expand the excitement of the series.

The STRIKE series has been very well received, not only in the United States, but worldwide. There is a very strong following throughout Europe, in the armed services, and among a wide game playing demographic. Older as well as younger players enjoy STRIKE's special brand of game play as the "Thinking Man's Shooter." We received many requests for a reincarnation of the product for 32-bit machines, and have been incorporating everyone's favorite features into the design for the last two years.

That really brought back memories.

At the time, Deseret Strike was one of the hardest games I had ever played, and to this day I have yet to complete with out cheating. I could only make it to level three, but could never finish the level, because there was a mission in which you had to protect a bus full of diplomats that was under attack by enemy helicopters, far superior to your own.

I never got a chance to play the other two, but I am fully versed in both playstation installments. Both games are great fun, and keep the same vibe and feel as the original (in fact, one of the levels in Nuclear Strike takes place a few miles from where Desert Strike occured). And it was done with great style and visual flair, via cinema scenes and radio communications.

There was originally going to be another installment to the series called "future strike", but the creators felt that the series should remain with it's original "ripped from the headlines" plot lines, and decided to scrap the idea, and create Future Cop LAPD 2100 instead. You can still see a preview trailer for Future Stike within Nuclear Strike.

So, are there any fans of the series here?

I quite liked the first couple games but I lost interest after that.

3. I have Soviet Strike on the Saturn. I loved the way the fround lit up when you shot missiles at the enemy. I also have a 3 game on the Genesis, and play them with my Nomad, when I'm on the road.

I did'nt know that they made a version for the Amiga. I would have bought a copy for sure. I'm sure Europeans were the one's who got that version.

4. I am a fan...by favorites were desert and soviet strike.

Andy787 Guest
    Desert Strike was actually one of the games I played a lot back when I didn't know one game from another. I liked it a lot, but it sure was hard.

6. I liked the original three the best. Jungle Strike was my favorite, but Urban strike was the most fun to just run around blowing stuff up in...such as the president's limo
    ------
    I am Yang.

Fun fun games. Love the idea behind them.

8. I like them, though Desert Strike and Urban Strike are the only ones I've played.

9. Yeah, Its about time, someone created a thread about this great game series. I loved all of them, and enjoyed them alot. Desert Strike and Jungle Strike are most memorable though, since they were the first, and at the time I was experiencing joys of Genesis. Graphics were great and so was strategy of managing your fuel, armor and ammo, to be able to complete missions on time. It was great fun just fly around and destroy building looking for power ups

PSX and Saturn version updated the series with some 3d graphics, in game cinemas and cd sounds, but the challenge still there. They were hard as fuck, and took alot of patience and determination to finish them. Definately one of the game series that I had a great fun with in all my years of game playing.

TheSCHLONG! Guest
    yeah ive played them all but was only any good at the first one. i owned them all even tho they constantly kicked my ass....but for some reason i kept coming back and its very rare that i do that with a game.