Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Max Anime Folded?

1. Max Anime Folded?

So yeah... the forum is back, and the main page is talking about personal attacks...

2. I honestly don't know yet. I hope I can get to the bottom of this tonight or Friday. Everyone at MXA has my telephone number, so I cannot say I approve of anyone taking his ball and going home without warning.

This kind of thing happens when there is no leadership on a site. My mistake was being accommodating but not demanding accountability. Max Anime was meant to be editorially independent for the most part, but I erred in giving anyone free reign on my dime.

As far as I'm concerned, the site is not coming back until it can be demonstrated in detail that there will be a multi-tiered staff with at least two people responsible for updates. I also need to find out exactly where this pressure was coming from and why.

Personal attacks?

I frequented MXA, and never saw this...

Too bad. Does this mean we get the anime forum on TNL back?
    HA! HA! I AM USING THE INTERNET!!1
    My Backloggery

4. Been open for a while now, at least...

Well, excu~use me, princess.

Alls I ever press anymore is the new posts button. So unless someone makes a new post in there, I wouldn't even know it was up.
    HA! HA! I AM USING THE INTERNET!!1
    My Backloggery

6. I never formally quit, but I haven't done any work with MXA for awhile (in the end I think we just had different ideas on what the site should be, and the big hiatus didn't help). So I don't really know what's going on either.

The problem with Max Anime was that it was rushed. It was launched prematurely, before we knew exactly what the site was going to need on the technical side. Some of the staff were sending out screener requests way before we were truly established. This sort of stuff takes time and some people just weren't willing to wait. I should have said something about it long ago, but I wanted to be optimistic and ended up being naive.

As for David, I maintain that he did excellent work and I'm sorry it had to end this way. The very fact that he was willing to learn all that shit was proof that he was willing to go above and beyond what most people would for the site, and that he was being attacked for it is a damned shame. If you happen to read this, David, I'm sorry.

7. CS is quite correct with the “refusal to wait” point. I am guilty of it myself to some degree (screeners, probably some other stuff). But then, we all are to some extent, save for maybe Brian, Carlos and Chris. Certain things were more in the “unbridled enthusiasm” realm, but others were getting downright impatient, mistaking caution and carefulness with losing stream and assuming all sorts of negative things. But there was also legitimate reason to think abandonment – the site wasn’t being updated. And I’ve been in the middle trying to simultaneously ease people, push work on the new database and figure out how to get an update up. Which, oddly enough, I figured out early this morning with the help of Lhadatt – the same morning the database was complete (as David mentioned in his blurb) – the same day the site was taken down.

We had some people in this impatient phase, some faithfully doing their work and waiting and some not saying anything. So little, in fact, that any “different ideas on what the site should be” were entirely unknown to me *poke poke* I don’t know why – I’ve welcomed input this whole time.

In any case, I’m not giving up on this, and I’ve already emailed David. It’s silly to do this now, after the voyage we have been through getting this site going. It would be a sinful waste of time. Even moreso if it was the result of the comments of some naysayer(s) who had already given up on the site and who could easily be removed from any and all involvement. That’s no reason to abandon ones own site, especially when the major hull (database) has been completed. I’m not just pushing this because I want to see the site thrive, but also because it just wouldn’t be right to give up so much for so little.

8. Some bitch stole Nick's tiles.

9. There really isn't much else to say right now. I was perfectly cool with Dave taking as much time as he needed to finish up the database, and even told him so on several occasions. Oliver , Lhadatt and I were just talking about doing some manual FTP updates in the meantime to let everyone know we were still alive.

Dave's done an absolutely fabulous job in the site's look and design, I'm sad and disappointed the situation had to come to this. Hopefully cooler heads will ultimately prevail and we'll get this all sorted out soon
    omg TNL epics!

10. Aww... them's were some nice forums, too. They weren't deleted, were they?
    If/when the site comes back, I'll be there to support.