Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Playstation 3 to negate both CD & DVD as a medium for storage...?

This PS3 stuff is getting crazy now. I'm sitting at home chillin and this pops up on the local news. I'd understand CNN or the web, but the when it's the local news it's getting rediculous.

As far as whether they will truely abandon CD/DVD, I'm not sure. I thought they were planning to push a new medium for it though. There was also an old article that talked about the system using shared processing (something that's been used a little bit with PC's).

I'm starting to think that PS3 will not come out early though. It's just hype to turn people away from the competition. Hopefully people won't get all caught up in it again this time.

Well, back to life offline.
    Taking it one day at a time.

2. I thought I'd chime in here. I haven't read every response so pardon me if this is redundant. Couple things to note:

1) Sony will not shorten the lifespan of the PS2, especially now since they have a good hold on the market and everyone else is playing catch up.

2) They will most likely get the "Hype Ball" rolling in full effect in 2005 but will NOT release the machine then.

3) If they do decide to abandon all storage medium in favor for high speed streaming off of the net, the PS3 WILL FAIL!!! Personally, I don't know a single soul that likes this (most game developers hate this concept at heart and their voice will be heard by developing for the other platforms still using some sort of storage medium)

4) I think this new concept that Sony is boasting about is simply to test the market's response. This way they can rework their plans for alternatives if need be.

5) Joe Mainstream isn't to technically inclined and the thought of this new technology will most likely scare the average consumer away. Let's face it. Most people like buying something from the store, taking it home and putting it into a device to watch/play/listen/whatever.

6) By 2005, development on GC and Xbox could be in full effect and we may not even care about what Sony's trying to pull. You never know.

7) If the PS3 bombs, then there's always the PS4 (just make damn sure that it has a storage medium )

Mark my words: If the PS3 pushes online only content, eliminating the need for retail, this will guarantee certain failure IMO. The repercussions of this business model could do more damage than good in the long run.