Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The makings of a combo video

1. The makings of a combo video

If anyone has played alot of a fighting game, or one seroiusly, I am sure they have run into a combo video, good or bad. What do you guys think is most important? Combos that are effective in normal games, or the super flashy ones, or even the ones that are like "hey, thats neat". What about set-up/strats not thought of? Does having good music/production matter a huge deal, and what about syncing music up with the combos? Any opinions are welcome, i was thinking about making one sooner or later, and wanted to know some opinions.
    Check out Mr. Businessman
    He bought some wild, wild life
    On the way to the stock exchange
    He got some wild, wild life

2. I'm not to good in explain so I will show you how a combo video should look like, don't know if still online but if you can try to download "Mopreme 3rd Strike Link Combo Encyclopedia" this video will give you an idea of what you should aim for in making a combo video. This one got practical combos than can be perform in actual match and a presentation that is the best I have ever seen in a video.

I hope this help

[edit] I forgot to tell you were you can dl the video, try Shoryuken.com, and look for it in the forums.

Practical combos aren't usually that flashy. I guess it depends on your audience. I'm not a big fan of the "I can do a huge combo after messing with the system direction videos", but that's just me.
    HA! HA! I AM USING THE INTERNET!!1
    My Backloggery

4. Personally, match vids > combo vids in my book. Combo videos usually entail some sort of ass techno, combos that can only be done in training mode and combos that simply don't work in a real match. Lots of oohs and aahs, but nothing actually worth my time. Match videos on the other hand, especially on fast-paced games like Virtua Fighter, are really the only reason people should be recording fighting games in the first place. It's like a nerd version of a boxing match cause you're always cheering for somebody, sometimes shit just comes outta nowhere and a player on the brink of death comes back with a vengeance, and there's tons more.

Quote Originally Posted by cka
    Personally, match vids > combo vids in my book
    True. My friend has like 19 gigs worth of his fights at 3rd Strike in Nickel City. And he made me watch them ;_;

But it was cool.
    My Backloggery

6. Quote Originally Posted by Destin
    If anyone has played alot of a fighting game, or one seroiusly, I am sure they have run into a combo video, good or bad. What do you guys think is most important? Combos that are effective in normal games, or the super flashy ones, or even the ones that are like "hey, thats neat". What about set-up/strats not thought of? Does having good music/production matter a huge deal, and what about syncing music up with the combos? Any opinions are welcome, i was thinking about making one sooner or later, and wanted to know some opinions.
    What game are you making the video for?

I have made a few combo vids in my day and they were pretty respectable for when they came out. I did my vids in Tekken Tag Tournament. I don't know too well about other games, but concerning Tekken I will have to disagree with some of the other posters. A good portion of Tag combos done in videos can be done in a match. Of course there are some that need extremely specialized start points so this rarely happens in a match.

Match videos are great, but for me, they are only great if you watch the top players.

If you have some ingenious tech traps/ set-ups that you think no one has seen, put em in - especially as a combo starter.

About music - you can never please everyone. Some want techno, others want rock etc. I would recommend putting music in that not only you think others will enjoy, but music you yourself like. If you like the music, it will reflect in the end. Try to synch the music with the combos - why not? If you can do this right, it will add to the presentation.

You can start your vid off with some of the harder 'in-game' stuff, but normally I would suggest not putting in combos everyone knows and pulls off. The point is to be as flashy as you can. Try to stick with stuff that is absolutely guaranteed after the first hit. (there can be exceptions, but I think overall it makes your whole vid seem more legit).

Little sleepy now, may add more later.

Good Luck

7. I'm with cka. Match videos are far more useful than combo videos. The combo videos I liked were the ones that had practical combos, and included something that described the combos. James Chen used to do this with his CVS2 videos.

However, a strategy type video would be really cool I think. Something that doesn't just do combos, but shows example setups for those combos, general setups for wake up games, and so on. When's the last time anybody showed off combos for punishing bursts? Whiffed dusts? Etc etc. It would take a lot longer to do, but I think they'd be a lot more useful.

Some of the Japanese ST DVDs are like that. They had one section where they detailed how to do a combo with 2 rushes in it with Balrog. They broke it down to the point that they had a little sub window showing the guys hands doing the motions. That was a bit much, but hey it was neat.

As far as production values go, good presentation always makes for a better, more memorable video. Music is cool and all, but it's almost always some 4-4 techno song, or a remake an old video game music track. For something more strategy oriented, you could use something a lot more low key, or even nothing at all really.

Combo vids are the highlights on Sportscenter. Strategy and match vids are what the teams are watching before the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Tosh
    I don't know too well about other games, but concerning Tekken I will have to disagree with some of the other posters
    Oh, we were talking about good games.
    My Backloggery

9. Quote Originally Posted by Mzo
    Oh, we were talking about good games.
    it burns, it burns!

10. Combo videos usually entail some sort of ass techno, combos that can only be done in training mode and combos that simply don't work in a real match
    That is why most of them suck.

Match videos on the other hand, especially on fast-paced games like Virtua Fighter, are really the only reason people should be recording fighting games in the first place. It's like a nerd version of a boxing match cause you're always cheering for somebody, sometimes shit just comes outta nowhere and a player on the brink of death comes back with a vengeance, and there's tons more.
    I agree with you, match videos are the best source of information in terms of setups, mind games, and I love to hear the crow going wild in the back