Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Bad news for XBOX...

1. Not to start a fight with my friend Werewolf here, but I don't see how this is bad news for Xbox. Every console has always had some form of piracy on it. Even Atari 2600. Piracy is just a seedy underside of gaming that has come into the spotlight with the PS. Every console is going to be subjected to it. Xbox shouldn't be singled out as being "bad news" just because it may or may not have been cracked. I personally hope it was cracked, so the emu scene can get off the DC and move over the the Xbox.

2. Originally posted by Freeter
    Hey EThugg, remember how you called the XBOX a "second Dreamcast"?

Seems you were right...
    Even if there WERE mod-chips for the Xbox, it still doesn't
    make it like the DC's situation. There are mod-chips / piracy
    right now for the PS2, you don't see anyone talking about
    how it will kill it. Unless they find a way to boot copies of
    Xbox titles on consumer machines WITHOUT a mod, it's nothing
    like the Dreamcast. Not to mention that you'll probably be
    needing a DVD-R drive to burn the Xbox games anyway, it won't
    read CD-R's. It does read RW's, but I question the ability to
    split all games across multiple discs and the ability of the RW
    discs to be read fast enough. Time will tell..........

3. Originally posted by JefmcC
    Not to start a fight with my friend Werewolf here, but I don't see how this is bad news for Xbox. Every console has always had some form of piracy on it. Even Atari 2600. Piracy is just a seedy underside of gaming that has come into the spotlight with the PS. Every console is going to be subjected to it. Xbox shouldn't be singled out as being "bad news" just because it may or may not have been cracked. I personally hope it was cracked, so the emu scene can get off the DC and move over the the Xbox.
    Them's be fight'n words

I guess I blew it way out of proportion... you are right though, piracy has been in the software industry for quite sometime and is far from new, heck I remember all the bootleg Amiga games Even still it does have a small effect on the gaming scene and the biggest difference of piracy today from the Atari age is the internet and broadband connections, just about everyone has it now and it makes it all too easy to get ahold of bootleg games whether you are burning them yourself or buying them from someone else who did... does this mean the end of XBOX, no but it surely doesn't help it ether.

TheSCHLONG! Guest
    Originally posted by Master
    And lets give the "piracy killed the DC" the heave ho.

Sega ran out of money. No more cash = no more losing money to make money. They were going to co-develop a system with Microsoft, it fell through, and now they are making money making games. Piracy never came into the equation...
    thank you much

5. For any importers, Neo X is dead (or so they say), but the 'Xtender' chip (the one from the infamous video) is definitely legit. Here's the tenative info on it:

*The chip is made up of a lattice chip and an eeprom and is much like the neo4 in design
    *31 wires
    *Plays imports and backups
    *no dvd multiregion
    *cdrw / dvd-r/ dvdrw work (certain cdr work too)
    *works on ALL consoles

Obvious the bunk I read about different modes was crap, as 2 chips now play both burns and real games. I hope it's released soon, I want Sneakers early!

6. Originally posted by Werewolf

Since when is there a Gameshark for PS2 that let's you play Import games on a USA PS2?!
    Theres a gameshark code that lets you play bootlegs and imports. You can probably get it off searching the net , or asking someone like Ethugg.

7. Originally posted by Freeter
    Hey EThugg, remember how you called the XBOX a "second Dreamcast"?

Seems you were right...
    The DC played burns out of the box, while the Box requires a chip. The mod chip didn't kill the PSX, so why would it kill the Box?
    Quote Originally Posted by Yoshi View Post
    burgundy is the only conceivable choice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drewbacca View Post
    I have an Alcatraz-style all-star butthole.

8. Game Shark doesn't play original imports, and you don't useany codes for booting back ups... but I think this is the limit of what I should say.

TheSCHLONG! Guest
    Originally posted by burgundy
    The DC played burns out of the box, while the Box requires a chip. The mod chip didn't kill the PSX, so why would it kill the Box?
    EXACTLY.....any idiot could rent PS games and burn them and it had the plug mod (cant exactly mess that installation up) and it was one of the MOST SUCCESSFUL systems ever.....piracy is not the simple answer to everything my friends. its an easy scapegoat but it sure as hell aint the answer.

10. Originally posted by Werewolf

heck I remember all the bootleg Amiga games
    Piracy actually DID kill the Amiga in the US. That, and Microsoft and Apple.