Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Evangelion Director's Cut

1. Quote Originally Posted by perkyskirt
    Wha?
    Your "hefty" avatar, which is now gone.

2. Quote Originally Posted by MechDeus
    I have no problem with people calling the ending crap because they tossed the entire story aside to resolve a single emotional issue and then just stopped the series.
    So? I thought it was brilliant.

The show wasn't about the mechs, it was about Shinji. Well, it's a bit more than that, but I don't want to get into Anno separating his personality into the different characters and all that. It's on the web, google it.

3. Quote Originally Posted by Lhadatt
    So? I thought it was brilliant.
    You thought it was brilliant that they didn't bother ending it? Do you find most unfinished stories genius on that basis alone?
    The show wasn't about the mechs, it was about Shinji. Well, it's a bit more than that, but I don't want to get into Anno separating his personality into the different characters and all that. It's on the web, google it.
    It'd be like watching all of LotR and then right when they reach Mount Doom Frodo stops Sam and says "I have something I need to talk about," and then they make a Live Journal post and it just ends and you never find out what happened to the ring or anyone else. So someone resolved a personal conflict, whoopdie-do. If that's all Gainex had to say they should've written a dairy, drawn some characters in the sidebars, and left the story out. I don't see much point in a story that has no point, but maybe that's just me.

I suppose I was lucky in that I didn't get around to buying the boxset and finishing the series until right before EoE was released. Granted, even without the movie I still wouldn't bother watching the last episode again. It's not like it was well-written or had deep character development or anything, it was the same damn thing they kept doing over and over in the series only longer and with Shinji going "Hey, maybe I'll listen this time!" at the end.

4. Quote Originally Posted by MechDeus
    Your "hefty" avatar, which is now gone.
    Yeah, for some reason a naked fire jiggling chun-li is okay and clothed fat women are not. Either way, I like this one more so I won't try to understand the logic in that decision.

Quote Originally Posted by Lhadatt
    It's just the last few episodes.

And the ending was never crap. You just can't understand it.
    I do. I think it's crap. I didn't want a psychological exploration of Shinji, I wanted to find out where the angels come from, what will happen to N.E.R.V., SEAL, and the human instrumentality project. I wanted the story to actually finish, especially when we were so damn close to a final resolution.

Eva gave me mental blue balls.

Quote Originally Posted by MechDeus
    You thought it was brilliant that they didn't bother ending it? Do you find most unfinished stories genius on that basis alone?It'd be like watching all of LotR and then right when they reach Mount Doom Frodo stops Sam and says "I have something I need to talk about," and then they make a Live Journal post and it just ends and you never find out what happened to the ring or anyone else. So someone resolved a personal conflict, whoopdie-do. If that's all Gainex had to say they should've written a dairy, drawn some characters in the sidebars, and left the story out. I don't see much point in a story that has no point, but maybe that's just me.
    True.
    I suppose I was lucky in that I didn't get around to buying the boxset and finishing the series until right before EoE was released. Granted, even without the movie I still wouldn't bother watching the last episode again. It's not like it was well-written or had deep character development or anything, it was the same damn thing they kept doing over and over in the series only longer and with Shinji going "Hey, maybe I'll listen this time!" at the end.
    True. The end of EoE was STILL weird, but slightly more satisfactory. At least Asuka got her shit together for one last asskick.
    HA! HA! I AM USING THE INTERNET!!1
    My Backloggery