Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help with word balloons and fonts...

1. Help with word balloons and fonts...

Anyone know of a good program for creating word balloons for scanned comic artwork, as well as a good font or font program that I can use for comic book-style lettering? Thanks. I'm working on a story but my lettering is shit and I want it to look fairly professional.

Dolemite, the Bad-Ass King of all Pimps and Hustlers
    Gymkata: I mean look at da lil playah woblin his way into our hearts in the sig awwwwwww

2. illustrator.
    Quote Originally Posted by rezo
    Once, a gang of fat girls threatened to beat me up for not cottoning to their advances. As they explained it to me: "guys can usually beat up girls, but we are all fat, and there are a lot of us."

3. I was wondering the same thing about the font. I noticed that professional comic fonts are very pricey. Paying for fonts.. just seems weird to me or~~ I'm just cheap X)

4. i can't imagine paying for fonts too. quark would be good for getting word balloons down i suppose, but it's not like you can't do it in illustrator either like Andrew said.

5. quark is a layout program and very limited. Illustrator comes with some default fonts like comic sans too (your program should have it, anyway). Professional word bubbles (pvp, penny arcade, etc.) go with illustrator.

I'm convinced Gabe uses Illustrators pen tool for 80% of his art work. The angles and some corners look like something the pen tool would make. (I'm not degrading his ability at all by saying this, either. Pen tool is hard and takes skill to manipulate)
    Quote Originally Posted by rezo
    Once, a gang of fat girls threatened to beat me up for not cottoning to their advances. As they explained it to me: "guys can usually beat up girls, but we are all fat, and there are a lot of us."

6. Thanks guys.

Gymkata: I mean look at da lil playah woblin his way into our hearts in the sig awwwwwww

7. Well, Blambot's has free comic-style fonts, various tutorials, and even some pre-made balloon shapes (that I never really had much success with). All in all, some pretty interesting stuff here.

8. Quote Originally Posted by Lenneth
    Well, Blambot's has free comic-style fonts, various tutorials, and even some pre-made balloon shapes (that I never really had much success with). All in all, some pretty interesting stuff here.
    Awesome, this is exactly what I was looking for! You're my savior!

The free fonts are perfect, but I can't find where the pre-made balloons are...can you link me? Thanks again!

9. *laughs* Glad to help. Balloons are here, and are in the Illustrator .eps format.. can't recall if they open in Photoshop or whatnot at the moment, as I'm not on my "art" pc right now.. but if that doesn't work, than this tutorial has a bit on how to whip up your own. Have fun!

10. What can I say, you're my new favorite poster. Thanks again.