Page 41 of 41 FirstFirst ... 2737394041

Thread: Nintendo DS: Mystery Product Revealed

1. Quote Originally Posted by IGN
    Interview: Hiroshi Yamauchi
    If DS is unsuccessful, Nintendo will be crushed, says former NCL president. ( words of faith )

February 13, 2004 - The Nihon Keizai Shimbun recently interviewed Nintendo advisor and former company president Hiroshi Yamauchi, who had many things to say about the future of the videogame industry and how Nintendo will succeed or fail. We've provided some highlights below:

Yamauchi reiterated his longstanding belief that the videogame industry is moving in the wrong direction, but added that it's approaching a critical point. "I have been saying this for some time, but customers are not interested in grand games with higher-quality graphics and sound and epic stories," he said. "Cutting-edge technologies and multiple functions do not necessarily lead to more fun. The excessively hardware-oriented way of thinking is totally wrong, but manufacturers are just throwing money at developing higher-performance hardware."

Yamauchi told the paper that in a move to oppose the "bigger is better" mentality he thought up the idea of the Nintendo DS, a dual-screened portable device set to be shown at E3 2004 in May.

The former NCL president dismissed the quick arrival of a next-generation console. "Nintendo has no plans to release a so-called 'next-generation' videogame console at the next year's Electronic Entertainment Expo in Las Vegas. We will rather make a new proposal that uses the GameCube at its core," he said. "Only people who do not know the videogame business would advocate the release of next-generation machines when people are not interested in cutting-edge technologies." Yamauchi added that Nintendo's leadership shares his view of the business.

The executive said that Nintendo will "give [its] all" to promote the Nintendo DS. He conceded that the device may not immediately overwhelm audiences, but that he hopes it will help ring in a new era, which may revitalize the games industry. "If we are unsuccessful with the Nintendo DS, we may not go bankrupt, but we will be crushed. The next two years will be a really crucial time for Nintendo."

Source: Nikkei Business Daily

2. Wow. Sounds pretty arrogant.

3. Quote Originally Posted by ViciousJazz
    Wow. Sounds pretty arrogant.
    As always.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drewbacca View Post
    There is wisdom beyond your years in these consonants and vowels I write. Study them and prosper.

4. I care about fun, and if that's what Nintendo cares about (along with money no doubt)... well I can respect that at least. I'm pretty sure "the people" feel otherwise though, and they'll continue to get trounced.

But that old guy needs to stop talking, seriously. He's not even the head of Nintendo anymore and he's still shooting them in the foot with his words.

5. Well, to his credit, I don't believe he's ever been wrong.
    There is wisdom beyond your years in these consonants and vowels I write. Study them and prosper.

6. Why doesn't he work there again?

7. Quote Originally Posted by Captain Vegetable
    Well, to his credit, I don't believe he's ever been wrong.
    "Yes Yamauchi-san, we'll start production of the Virtual Boy right away!"

8. pwned. wow didnt say that in ages.

9. Quote Originally Posted by NoFace
    "Yes Yamauchi-san, we'll start production of the Virtual Boy right away!"
    Dude, that wasn't his idea. He still had to give the go-ahead, I'm sure, as he's a ripsnorting control freak, but it still wasn't his idea.

10. I know, it was Gumpei's idea, Mr. Metroid. He still OK-ed the trainwreck, which was my point.