Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Forbidden Iran

1. Forbidden Iran

Ok, I was deciding whether to even bother putting this link up, but seeing as how we are such a rag tag group of politically opinionated people...I figure, why not?

After I saw this, it made me sick! I'm going back to Iran after 20 years this March and after seeing this...well...I don't know. I do have to say, shame on the US media for totally ignoring this piece. Once again the US media shows how bias and ignorant it is by ignoring what really matters. Anyway...enjoy..

http://www.pbs.org/frontlineworld/st...ran/index.html

click on the Play video link.

The time of the current regime in Iran will come. Be patient. I understand that is difficult based on the things in that link, but we can only take on so many fronts at a time.

3. That made me so fucking angry, near angry enough to make me feel that if we went after the Iranian regime I would be behind it 100%. Its stuff like that which makes you realize that yeah it was a good thing to get Saddam Hussien and his fucker ilk out of Iraq, despite everything else thats happened regarding that war. This video should be shown in every school in free countries around the world and given the Friend's time slot on NBC. These students are dying out there while trying to make sure the rest of the world knows whats going on and all we can do is watch American Idol.

edit: Thanks for reminding me of Frontline, I'd almost forgotten about it but its a quality program, I don't know if its on tv anymore but I remember watching these internet vids for a long time.
    Commentaries and Opinions on Metal

Quote Originally Posted by station82o
    These students are dying out there while trying to make sure the rest of the world knows whats going on and all we can do is watch American Idol.
    You hit the worst part right on the head. The majority of Americans have no earthly idea what goes on in the world around them yet could tell you who has made it through every round of that God awful reality show. Then, these ignorant morons head to the voting booth once every for years, again, without any real information.

5. I'm doing my part this time, trying to learn as much as I can about all the candidates and whatnot, and am going to vote - I admit though that watching this piece makes one want to get up and knock on the door of the white house and say "c'mon, Iran - lets go there now and fuck the Ayatollah up, I'll go with". I'm more inclined to vote against Bush in the 2004 election but its stuff like this video that makes me (possibly naively or too emotionally) think "chances are no democrat will go to clear another regmine out of power, so the only hope of US intervention in Iran to stop these fucking butchers is Bush". Its something that is most likely misguided, but very liable to make one torn politically. In the end I know I won't be able to vote based on that (at least for myself).

Everyone should read that interview with Jane Kokan, the reporter - pretty interesting.

You get the feeling that some of the students simply wake up one day and say, "I can't take this any more." They just want to have a life. It's a repressive country on so many levels where people don't have the freedom to express themselves. You can get flogged or put in jail for flirting with someone of the opposite sex in public or listening to Western music or being caught with a cold beer. I thought I would investigate the cinema scene, but it was all action, Rambo-Iranian-style movies re-creating the Iran-Iraq war, which ended in 1988.

http://www.pbs.org/frontlineworld/st...ran/kokan.html

6. Station820, as much as you feel that it would be a great thing to go in and "Fuck the Ayatollah up", you need to do a bit more research. Those Ayatollas were put in power by the US. It is the US gov't now that is negotiating with them behind the scenes. You don't hear it in the US media, but it has been reported elsewhere. Actually, Joeseph Biden the Senator from MD just met with some top Iranian delagation. Do you hear about that? Nope!! Trust me when I tell you that there is just sooooo much more evil beneath the surface. If the Bush gov't wanted those Ayatollas gone, they would have done so already.

I have said this before and I will say it again and again...the 800 lb gorrila in the mid-east is Iran. If Iran is free, the whole world will change. Getting Saddam out of power did nothing for the Mid-East. The people there have nothing positive to show for it. There is now this grand mullah there that the US gov't is dealing with, his name is Ayatollah Sistani...You think his is Iraqi?? He is an Iranian Mullah!!! He was put there by the Iranian Gov't!!! You think Iraq is going to be some free democratic country?? Mark my words, in 5 years it is going to be a 100 times worse than Iran. The Mullas in Iran know that their time is coming to an end in that country, that is why they are slowly establishing roots in Iraq, and the US is either blind to it, or knows about it and thinks that they can change it. Well, they knew about the Ayatollah Khomeini as well....didn't that turn out just peachy in the end?

7. I can totally understand why someone would be mad that the sort of stuff that this PBS special is reporting is not being reported. Its not Foxnews or ABC or CNN but it is PBS, which is to the best of my knowledge American.

8. Quote Originally Posted by Abobo
    Station820, as much as you feel that it would be a great thing to go in and "Fuck the Ayatollah up", you need to do a bit more research. Those Ayatollas were put in power by the US. It is the US gov't now that is negotiating with them behind the scenes. You don't hear it in the US media, but it has been reported elsewhere. Actually, Joeseph Biden the Senator from MD just met with some top Iranian delagation. Do you hear about that? Nope!! Trust me when I tell you that there is just sooooo much more evil beneath the surface. If the Bush gov't wanted those Ayatollas gone, they would have done so already.

I have said this before and I will say it again and again...the 800 lb gorrila in the mid-east is Iran. If Iran is free, the whole world will change. Getting Saddam out of power did nothing for the Mid-East. The people there have nothing positive to show for it. There is now this grand mullah there that the US gov't is dealing with, his name is Ayatollah Sistani...You think his is Iraqi?? He is an Iranian Mullah!!! He was put there by the Iranian Gov't!!! You think Iraq is going to be some free democratic country?? Mark my words, in 5 years it is going to be a 100 times worse than Iran. The Mullas in Iran know that their time is coming to an end in that country, that is why they are slowly establishing roots in Iraq, and the US is either blind to it, or knows about it and thinks that they can change it. Well, they knew about the Ayatollah Khomeini as well....didn't that turn out just peachy in the end?
    Right - I am going to do a bit more research and like I stated in my post, my comments were fueled by anger upon seeing that film, and full of naviete. I'm not one to normally be gung-ho over invading foreign countries. I know there's a long sordid history there and although I know some brief bits of what that is, its not enough to know exact details and events. When I do get myself caught up to speed, I'll get back to you.

9. diffusionx last time I checked, PBS was not a major contributing factor when it came to global news reporting. The entire documentary was a british produced piece and PBS was the only one who even bothered to air it. Tell me, do you know what the programming for your local PBS station is? Not many do. Now, do people know what the programming for ABC, CBS, NBS, or CNN are? My point is that this documentary should have recieved ALOT more attention than it did, that is where the media bias or apathy comes in.

10. What a bunch of bullshit. The Iranian Revolution was a direct reaction to the Western puppet government that was in place before. The lesson of Iran should be that the US should fuck with the Middle East less, not more.

I imagine that video is unfortunate (but my dial-up connection can't say for sure) but that doesn't mean I think that saving people a half a globe away is a priority when Americans are starving right here. And even if I did, I don't see any reason that Bush & co. are doing anything to help these people. You can't eat democracy.

But hey, far be it from me to object to taking up the white man's burden. We need to bring civilization to the savages.

I hear a lot about how a free Iran is going to change the world but I don't see how. I certainly don't understand why it's worth my tax dollars.

Yoshi's right about one thing, though - the ignorant morons certainly elected one of their own last time around. Insert quotes around "elected."
    Quote Originally Posted by Yoshi View Post
    burgundy is the only conceivable choice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drewbacca View Post
    I have an Alcatraz-style all-star butthole.