Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is there anything worth watching lately?

1. PC Is there anything worth watching lately?

Back when I was in highschool I was obsessed with anime and bought it all the time. I'm now stuck with almost 150 dvds with more than half I don't even like anymore. Since I've gotten over the initial excitment of it all, I can't seem to get into any show... Its all getting very generic.

It just seems like everything that comes out is the same old stuff repackaged with new shiney animation and more retarded 12 year old girls. Everytime I see anything about Maeo-chan or whatever (cute girls with tanks and crap most likely fighting aliens) I want to vomit. I buy issues of Newtype and there isnt much that looks promising. Wheres the next Cowboy Bebop? Nothing is new anymore!!!!

Lately though I've found these shows that I like:
    Cat Soup - not worth the $20 (because of it only being 35 minutes) but at least it was different and nice looking
    Millennium Actress - Great serious movie, they still make those?!
    Interstella 5555 - I love this! Made me decide to try to get ahold of some more Leiji Matsumoto stuff.

Stuff I am curious about...
    New Satoshi Kon movie
    Last Exile
    GitS TV
    GitS Innocence
    Heat Guy J
    and well....thats all. Does anyone have any shows to recommend?

2. Last Exile is Awesome. Heat Guy J is Awesome. Both are worth a watch.
    Other stuff:
    Rune Soldier: Funny as the opposite of hell. Great, episodic series with the best non-incredibly-crazywacky sense of humor I've seen in quite a while. You'll laugh your ass off.
    Abenobashi Magical Shopping District/Arcade: Incredibly-crazywacky. Mocks other anime and movies. Funny stuff.
    Full Metal Panic!: Sometimes funny, sometimes serious, always intriguing. Great plot, too.
    Jungle Wa Itsumo Hale Nochi Guu: There is NEVER a time when this show isn't the one to watch. Always been my favorite, even though it's only fansubbed now. It's also in my sig! It's the most nonsensical show with a good plot and GREAT humor that I've ever seen. Oh, there is an order to it: First is the TV series, then comes DELUXE, then FINAL. I still haven't seen FINAL. My computer sucks .

I think all of these stand out from the crowd. Well, maybe not Rune Soldier. It does have some generic-looking characters and the "band of adventurers" thing is overdone. It separates itself from the crowd by being WELL DONE.
    That is all.

3. Quote Originally Posted by ChaoofNee
    Jungle Wa Itsumo Hale Nochi Guu: There is NEVER a time when this show isn't the one to watch. Always been my favorite, even though it's only fansubbed now. It's also in my sig! It's the most nonsensical show with a good plot and GREAT humor that I've ever seen. Oh, there is an order to it: First is the TV series, then comes DELUXE, then FINAL. I still haven't seen FINAL. My computer sucks .
    I've seen a couple episodes of Guu and I liked it! I was just hoping it would come out on dvd because I dont like watching stuff on my computer very much.

4. Me neither, but nobody's picked it up. There were all those rumors that AnimeNation picked it up, but nothing came of it... Hell, I even asked the guy at the Dealer's stand at Otakon, he says there was no info on it, but, when I told him I'd much appreciate if they released it, he replied that he would, too.
    At least there's some INTEREST in it over here. It'd be really difiicult to market, though. Looks all kiddy, but then you have stuff like Wiggle here:

Him and his suicide attempts. Heheh.

5. I'm hoping Blame! will come to the US. The dvd is only like 40 mins or so long tho...(sniffles)

TEXHNOLYZE looks interesting to me, but then again I like a lot of yoshitoshi aBe stuff or stuff from the lain team.

Dead leaves- looks neat to me since I dig weird and bizarre stuff

I'm hoping they bring down Vulgar Ghost Daydream to the US. I read a bit of the manga and its pretty weird and cool. Gotta love a paranormal detective that moonlights as a dominatrix at night and can channel ghosts and control a magic rope for detective work during the day.

6. Well for the new Satoshi Kon's movie Tokyo Godfathers, you can check it out at a local theatre (if they are playing in your area) and judge for yourself.

Last Exile: Great stuff. Atleast give this show a try.

7. I like Azumanga Daioh too even if its based around cute school girl stuff. The episode where we visit Chio-chan's house was so funny I almost wet my pants.

8. Could never seem to get last exile.

Do you download off the internet or do you buy them somewhere?

If you download free fansubs off the internet.

Area 88 TV: it is just getting started being translated and from what I have heard on their boards, they seems to have followed the manga a lot more closely.

Naruto: Basically generic shonen done exceptionally well with a touch of humor.

Freesia: It is a manga, but if you like shonen, READ IT. It is shonen manga perfection.

Shadow Skill TV: I got into this Shonen one thinking that it would be a little different from the other anime based on the first few eps, but it quickly turns into guy lstaying on good path despite all his superiors saying otherwise.

9. I have the first volume of the old Area 88 anime on tape. I like it so I'm looking forward to the new one now

10. Last Exile and Heat Guy J are two of my favorite current series, and are definately worth a purchase.

I also suggest GTO, Berserk, and Nadesico (all have been fully released) if you skipped over those.