Thread: Tenchi Muyo! GXP

1. Tenchi Muyo! GXP

I've been loking at news on the new(ish) Tenchi spinoff and, I've gotta say, it looks pretty good. While I enjoyed the original OAV, I can't really say the same for "Universe" or "in Tokyo." They both kinda came off as half-assed versions of the OAV to me. Has anyone seen this and can comment? The DVD comes out in two months, so there's plenty o' time to discuss.
    Also, can anyone help me understand the Tenchi storyline? I know that the OVA is the start followed by a bunch of random crap, the Universe and Tokyo storylines complement each other, and the manga is off in its own little world, but what's with this "2nd and 3rd OVA" stuff?

2. 2nd ova is the continuation of the original ova. 3rd is the continuation of that. Universe is just a retelling of the original ovas made for tv, and In Tokyo is a seperate world of it's own i'm guessing. for the movies, 1 and 3 are for Universe, and 2 is more along the lines of the ovas, but with glaring problems (most notable is Kiyone being with the crew, everyone knows she got left up in space though thanks to Mihoshi's blundering in the Mihoshi Special).

i don't know if that's what you're looking for.

3. That is basically. Thanks, Ashen.
    What are these other OVAs, though? I've never heard of them.

4. GXP has almost no connection to Tenchi. The director admitted to having minimal knowledge of the series and pretty much doing his own thing. No original Tenchi characters even appear in it, though there are a number of relations, like Mihoshi's mom.

PS - Tenchi Universe is not a retelling of the OAV. The story is completely different except for the same vague premise.

PPS - The 3rd OAV series has started. 2nd ep came out in Japan just recently, though I haven't seen any of them.
    "I've watched while the maggots have defiled the earth. They have
    built their castles and had their wars. I cannot stand by idly any longer." - Otogi 2

5. the 3rd ova hasn't started yet AFAIK, but the 2nd one starts up with the christmas episode which i believe is episode 7 (it doesn't really really start until 8/9). it's basically just a continuation of the originals where the girls have finally settled in with the Masaki's. IIRC, there wasn't a lot that happened (in terms of an enemy), but there was a deeper plot going on with Tsunami (Sasami adult form) and Washu, having to deal with stronger entities. they touch on it, but i don't remember them getting too into it. most of the episodes was just stand alones, like Ryo-Ohki becoming a child/adult thanks to the Mass in Washu's lab escaping, Washu feels like a mom after taking care of Tenchi's baby cousin (or something, this was also a really good episode), and we finally meet Ayeka and Sasami's parents. and we find out a little something about the granddad. the 3rd ovas should get into the deep plot they touched briefly on in the 2nd. it wouldn't make sense if they just forgot about it.

6. PS - Tenchi Universe is not a retelling of the OAV. The story is completely different except for the same vague premise.
    "I've watched while the maggots have defiled the earth. They have
    built their castles and had their wars. I cannot stand by idly any longer." - Otogi 2

7. Quote Originally Posted by Ammadeau
    GXP has almost no connection to Tenchi. The director admitted to having minimal knowledge of the series and pretty much doing his own thing. No original Tenchi characters even appear in it, though there are a number of relations, like Mihoshi's mom.
    Actually,
    There's an episode where Tenchi, Ayeka and the ORIGINAL Ryoko guest star. I saw some pics of Washu in there and Ryo-ohki is in a few episodes (I don't know of any other cabbit that can go semi-human).
    I was looking through some episode summaries.
    The director is part of the reason I want to see this so badly, too. It's friggin' Shinichi Watanabe! Mr. Crazy-ass Excel Saga! NABESHIN! His insanity can make ANY series good.

Quote Originally Posted by Ammadeau
    PS - Tenchi Universe is not a retelling of the OAV. The story is completely different except for the same vague premise.
    Thought so. Blegh to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ammadeau
    PPS - The 3rd OAV series has started. 2nd ep came out in Japan just recently, though I haven't seen any of them.
    Okay, fine, but what are they called? Is the second OVA just the second half of the original OVA?

By the way, Dual fans:
    Zinv is in here MUCH later.

8. GXP has almost no connection to Tenchi. The director admitted to having minimal knowledge of the series and pretty much doing his own thing. No original Tenchi characters even appear in it
    Airi appears in the 2nd episode of the new OVAs, and Tenchi and co. cameo in two episodes.

Quote Originally Posted by ChaoofNee
    Is the second OVA just the second half of the original OVA?
    Yup. They were originally going to end it at #6, but it got popular so they made more.

And if the new OVAs become popular as well the director said they'll consider making more, or even a movie. After seeing the second ep it definitely has potential.