Thread: Where did the idea for Resident Evil come from?

Where did the idea for Resident Evil come from?

I keep hearing different stories, one of them is the idea was based on a Famicon game that was horror based.

The second was that the PC-FX game Team Inoccent was a inspiration.

Inspired from Alone in The Dark Series.

Anyone know?

Korian

2. I'm gonna go out on a limb and say, any number of zombie movies.

Originally posted by JefmcC
    I'm gonna go out on a limb and say, any number of zombie movies.
    Heh that too but I am sure a game was an inspiration also.

Korian

4. I believe Mikami said George Romero and his zombie movies were the inspiration.

5. Probably got the idea from Zombie films of Romero and Fulchi, added some Mad Scientist and Evil Corporation Conspiracies and mixed it together. Than used Alone in the Dark as the inspiration of ingame engine, and made it 3d.

6. Resident Evil was originally based on a Horror RPG for the Famicom called Sweet Home, which was based on thr Japanese film of the same name. The game itself also borrows elements from George Romero's Dead series.

7. well, you see, there was this janitor that worked at capcom,
    and one of mikami's assistants owed him some money. but because of his
    incredible street fighter addiction, he never had money. so they made a deal. instead of money, the assistant would pitch the janitors game idea to mikami. i think at this point its worth mentioning that the janitor worked the nightshift, and quite often at night he would
    pretend his mop was a shotgun, and that zombies and such lurked the dark hallways of capcoms headquarters. he hated the higher-ups at capcom, and thats where the idea of the evil corportation and the zombies come from
    true story*

*-100% fictional

8. Originally posted by Despair
    Probably got the idea from Zombie films of Romero and Fulchi, added some Mad Scientist and Evil Corporation Conspiracies and mixed it together. Than used Alone in the Dark as the inspiration of ingame engine, and made it 3d.
    I read an interview where Capcom said they originally planned on making the game first-person, but realized that they couldn't get the graphic detail level they wanted with the current hardware (they said the game would have been as scary without it), so they opted for the third person perspective with pre-rendered backgrounds instead...they also mentioned the Sweet Home game mentioned above and the George Romero movies were the main inspiration as well.

Dolemite, the Bad-Ass King of all Pimps and Hustlers
    Gymkata: I mean look at da lil playah woblin his way into our hearts in the sig awwwwwww

Originally posted by Johnny Undaunted
    Resident Evil was originally based on a Horror RPG for the Famicom called Sweet Home, which was based on thr Japanese film of the same name. The game itself also borrows elements from George Romero's Dead series.
    This is exactly what I have heard as well.