Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 123457 ... LastLast

Thread: Azumanga Daioh [US Release]

1. This has been out for a couple days. FYE in Manhattan has the regular and box set on the shelves, so other retailers may have jumped the release date, too.

2. Quote Originally Posted by Brotherman
    Well, I got to see the first eqisode of Azumanga in the Apr. issue of Newtype. It was funny but seemed to jump around too much. Descent enough for me to give it a chance though.
    It's based on a comic STRIP.
    That's why it's so jumpy.

3. I went to Bestbuy over the weekend and they didn't have it yet, so I picked up the first volume of GXP instead (which is good but not great but that's another story). Since I recently moved some distance from the mall and would not waste gas on another futile atempt, where's a good online place to order this from? The online stores I normally shopped at have jacked up their prices to be the same as Bestbuy's and that's without adding shipping and handling, which have also gone up.
    "I've watched while the maggots have defiled the earth. They have
    built their castles and had their wars. I cannot stand by idly any longer." - Otogi 2

4. Being too lazy to get it myself, I did a very Miss Yukari thing and sent a friend to pick it up for me. Great release, ADV really did pretty much everything they could for it, including a reversable cover (I can't choose, I like both sides), a booklet for translation notes, notes from the original creators, and character art (with more on the actual dvd). The dvd animated menus are all pulled from the opening, but look great nevertheless. The chapter stops are all set up according to the mini-episode structure of the series, big and easy to read subtitles, ideal picture and sound quality, and heck I even enjoy the dub, even if I still think osaka-ben=southern accent is way off.

The show itself is great, though I don't think it's quite as funny as the original manga, though the manga started off a bit slow so I'll wait for the rest before I decide which I like better. I have an odd problem with the original Japanese voice track. The VA who plays Nyamo is the same one as Kero-chan from CCS so I keep expecting her to blurt out 'YOSHA!' which is very confusing.
    built their castles and had their wars. I cannot stand by idly any longer." - Otogi 2

5. The localization's that good, eh?
    Screw Mega Man Zero, then. This is mine, this weekend.

6. I just picked up this with the box(full of goodness). Good deal at BB for 25. So far the anime is good, but I have to agree with Ammadeau, I feel the manga is funnier. Won't stop me from getting the rest of it though
    -Myk

7. I watched episode 1 subtitled on the April Newtype USA DVD and loved it. Totally awesome stuff.

8. Quote Originally Posted by ChaoofNee
    The localization's that good, eh?
    Screw Mega Man Zero, then. This is mine, this weekend.
    Yeah, ADV has been doing better and better with that lately, but I was still impressed. I even think Tomo is funnier dubbed than in the original voice. "Yukari is already here? Holy feakin' crap!"

I especially like the chapter stops since I usually only have time to watch a little bit of an anime and since each stop is titled, I know exactly where I left off when I come back to it.

Quote Originally Posted by kabuki
    I watched episode 1 subtitled on the April Newtype USA DVD and loved it. Totally awesome stuff.
    So stop wasting your money on five different versions of EVA and buy it already.

9. Quote Originally Posted by Ammadeau
    So stop wasting your money on five different versions of EVA and buy it already.
    I concur with this statement, and redirect it at ViciousJazz, the Eva whore.

10. Quote Originally Posted by Ammadeau
    See here's my plan. I buy EVA Platinum, and I get my friends to buy Azumanga. They already bought volume 1, so the rest will fall into place quite nicely

Quote Originally Posted by ChaoofNee
    I concur with this statement, and redirect it at ViciousJazz, the Eva whore.
    I don't see you in the Dunbine thread. Get off your ass and go enjoy some mecha fantasy goodness!