Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What Happened to Earthbound/Mother 64?

Originally posted by Ragnarok the Red
    Oh yeah, I'm a fan of Earthbound. A big enough fan to have gone out of my way to acquire a beta copy of the original Earthbound for Nintendo that was translated but never released. And no, its not for sale or trade, I'm going to the grave with this thing
    YOu should see that that Beta copy gets in ROM form so the other fans out there can experience it. Unless, it is already in ROM form, in which case, shut me up.
    anyway, how does it compare to Mother 2? very curious, i am

2. Originally posted by amerlop

YOu should see that that Beta copy gets in ROM form so the other fans out there can experience it. Unless, it is already in ROM form, in which case, shut me up.
    It's already been dumped! Just look for Earthbound Zero on your favorite NES ROM site.

Anyway, I may never have the Earthbound Zero beta, so I guess I'll just settle to importing the Famicom original instead. The problem is that Mother 1 is one of the most sought-after titles in Japan and can cost quite a bundle to get.

I think it's quite greedy for Ragnarok is he wants to be buried with the Earthbound Zero beta. When you die, at least give the beta to a gaming museum or something.

3. Mother 2 (Earthbound) = best RPG ever in my opinion.

Mother 3 wasn't brought out because the 64DD proved to be a hassle, they switched to cart and Mr. Itoi is notorious for delayed products, so it was cancelled.

My bet is that we see it resurface on the Cube in a straight port or some other form.

4. Originally posted by amerlop

I personally find it a little more challenging, the enemies are even more screwy than in the Super Nintendo sequel. Its terrific fun, man. You should most definitely download the ROM its available here:

http://demiforce.parodius.com/console/trans/ebz-c.gif

And just in case you may be one of those who has moral confilcts about playing ROMs, don't be about this one. Since it was never officially released by NoA, your not robbing anyone of profits, so its not really illegal to have on your hard drive
    omg TNL epics!

5. Originally posted by Johnny Undaunted

I think it's quite greedy for Ragnarok is he wants to be buried with the Earthbound Zero beta. When you die, at least give the beta to a gaming museum or something.
    NEVER!!!
    omg TNL epics!

6. I loved the Earthbound game, and was pissed off that Mother 3 was canceled. In fact I was never really liked Nintendo stance on RPGs when it came to bringing them to the US. What pissed me off even more was when I found out how much Nintendo censored Earthbound.

7. I never really found out how much the game was censored. What, in particular, did they do?

8. I never really found out how much the game was censored. What, in particular, did they do?
    Too much really, but here is a few examples:

Burglin Park was originally named Nusutto Park. "Nusutto" comes from the Japanese verb "nusumu", which means "to steal".

The Cafe in Fourside was originally a Bar in Mother 2. Did Nintendo of America really think children would start walking into bars all by themselves after playing EarthBound? Ay yai yai...

Well, looks like Nintendo was at it again. This time, their target was Carpainter's cult. As you can see, the cult members in Mother 2 have the letters "HH" (stands for Happy Happy) on their foreheads. In EarthBound, however, the letters are gone. Not only that, but the EarthBound cultists have a little fluffy thing at the end of their hats, most likely to make them look less evil and more like Santa (as if Santa weren't evil). You gotta love the ties though...

Current theories suggest that Nintendo made these changes because otherwise the Happy Happyists would remind U.S. players of the Klu Klux Klan.

For more info follow this link. http://www.starmen.net/m2eb/index.shtml

9. Burglin Park was originally named Nusutto Park. "Nusutto" comes from the Japanese verb "nusumu", which means "to steal".
    That's not editing, that's translation.

Nusutto = to steal = burglin.

I should know. i burgle with the best of 'em

10. Originally posted by el dodo

That's not editing, that's translation.

Nusutto = to steal = burglin.

I should know. i burgle with the best of 'em
    Yeah really! I don't know what's the big deal since Burglin Town is an almost accurate equalivent of Nusutto Town. I don't see what's the big deal. I don't see the big deal about the Cafe/Bar changes nor the removal of the KKK/HH refences. Still, I'm dissapointed that Pokey doesn't get spanked in the American version.

Ragnarok: I guess I have no choice but dig out your grave and steal the cart after you die a suspicious death. At least give it to your children to your children or something when you pass away.

Korr: I have to agree with you. It seems that Nintendo always had an anti-RPG stance during the old NES days, which prevented the original Mother and the Fire Emblem series from being released in America in the first place.