Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex [R1 DVDs]

1. Good thing I read this before picking it up.

2. Well I really dig it.

Sure it isn't an action anime but I really like the police drama parts about it and the little action that is in there is amazing. I guess it isn't for everyone though.
    Currently Playing: Final Fantasy V Pixel Remaster (PC), Let's Build a Zoo (PC) & Despot's Game (PC)

Get Free Bitcoins every hour! - www.freebitco.in

3. Quote Originally Posted by Prince Planet
    Yep. Hard to believe given the Ghost in the Shell pedigree, but yep. Really mediocre stuff.

At least there's still more Texhnolyze coming up.
    Texhnolyze is twice as boring as GITS tv. I liked Lain, and hadn't watched any anime series in a while, so I got the first two volumes. Maybe it's me, but anime series of late seem really energy sapped. I caught an episode of Gungrave and some Witch Hunter Robin, and there was maybe 1 minute of anything remotely entertaining in both of them. Maybe I just don't like anime anymore
    pwned by Ivan

4. Texhnolyze is absolutely fantastic. It shits all over GITS. No, really, it does.

I'll be putting off GITS as of now. Texhnolyze and hopefully the Last Exile box set will keep me fully occupied.

5. Quote Originally Posted by Green
    Texhnolyze is twice as boring as GITS tv. I liked Lain, and hadn't watched any anime series in a while, so I got the first two volumes. Maybe it's me, but anime series of late seem really energy sapped. I caught an episode of Gungrave and some Witch Hunter Robin, and there was maybe 1 minute of anything remotely entertaining in both of them. Maybe I just don't like anime anymore
    I agree with you on WHR and Gungrave, but wasn't Lain boring as well? I couldn't even get past the first three episodes without dozing off. Also dissapointed to hear GITS gets no love here as I've heard and read nothing, but good things for the first season. There's always a case of mixed reviews, but I guess I'll have to check it out for myself.

6. I love it

7. 1) GitS Stand alone is not jammed packed wit action....the pacing is diffrent from the manga or first movie. Its more like a cop show, just set in the future. Its full of mystery and intrigue. At times, you are left with a satisfying little tidbit to think about at the end of a story arc.

2) As for Shadow Not Shades question about the Eva movie lets just say this:

Many people, even those who started out loving Eva like I did, hated the way that the movie ended the series. Hideki Anno pretty much trashed the series in the movie. See it for yourself, but I realy dont think you will like what you see in the end. Mr. Anno is one messed up hombre.

Im sure the movie has its supporters, but I am pretty sure that Anno was just screwing over the fans.

Did my little tirade answer your question?
    Quote Originally Posted by Dolemite
    I hear Balrog's moveset includes the Fried Chicken Right Cross, The Watermelon Wipeout Punch, and the Welfare Blaster.
    I SWEAR IF YOU BITCH ABOUT TWINSTICKS I WILL BREAK MY FOOT OFF IN YOUR ASS

8. Quote Originally Posted by Xeno G
    Well I really dig it.

Sure it isn't an action anime but I really like the police drama parts about it and the little action that is in there is amazing. I guess it isn't for everyone though.
    Same here. I actually liked the action contrast since they are a government unit that would rather not place themselves in danger, so it made it that much more exciting when full on assaults and gunfights took place. Never did get around to finishing the series but I enjoyed the little trails that were all leading back to a similar source.
    Quote Originally Posted by Green
    Texhnolyze is twice as boring as GITS tv.
    Oh God yes. They have some good ideas and I enjoy some of the visual ways they express things but that company has no fucking clue what pacing is. It doesn't help that Texhnolyze has the absolute worst first episode ever, could it have been any more boring and useless? The first and second episodes badly needed to be combined.
    I caught an episode of Gungrave and some Witch Hunter Robin, and there was maybe 1 minute of anything remotely entertaining in both of them.
    It's not you, those are both pretty damn boring, especially Witch Hunter Robin. I don't think I've ever seen an episode of that show that's even remotely interesting.
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Hair
    I agree with you on WHR and Gungrave, but wasn't Lain boring as well? I couldn't even get past the first three episodes without dozing off.
    I agree. Me and a roommate forced ourselves to watch Lain just because that was the third time in the last couple years I've sat down to watch it and got bored senseless, and I would say the end is worth it. The problem is that the first ten episodes have about two episodes worth of story and buildup so those five hours drag on like you wouldn't believe. Once it (finally) gets going it's really good but watching that and the first six or so episodes of Texhnolyze has convinced me they're not-so-secretly trying to create the DBZ of pyschological anime.

It sometimes makes me feel like a Monty Python's Holy Grail extra: "Get on with it!"
    Quote Originally Posted by Gymkata
    Considering his question was about what Manga Entertainment did to the movies and not what effect it had on the series, no. That aside, the movie was far better then episode 26 and I really liked it.

9. Quote Originally Posted by Gymkata
    2) As for Shadow Not Shades question about the Eva movie lets just say this:

Many people, even those who started out loving Eva like I did, hated the way that the movie ended the series. Hideki Anno pretty much trashed the series in the movie. See it for yourself, but I realy dont think you will like what you see in the end. Mr. Anno is one messed up hombre.

Im sure the movie has its supporters, but I am pretty sure that Anno was just screwing over the fans.

lol... No, it actually didn't. I was wondering what was wrong with Manga's DVD release of the movies, not the movies themselves. Thanks anyway.

.... And I actually loved the movies. Most of the Eva characters are at their finest in EoE (especially Asuka), the "real world" portion was riveting non-stop action, and I personally found the second half of the movie pretty interesting. The again, I love mindfuck films, so I might be biased....

10. Yeah sorry about that....EoE gets on my nerves because it reminds me of everything that we have discussed in the Arthouse bulldoodoo thread.

There was a story being told, and it ended in a way that had total lack of storytelling, just endless minutes of mind numbing "symbolism". Anno didnt only blow up the world, but all of the charecters that you loved and watched from the beginning. And in the end, Shinji didnt seem to learn a damn thing. That was the straw that broke the camels back.

Crap....
    Ive done it again. I tend to want to beat my opinion into other peoples heads lately.
    Umm...suffice to say im not so much of a fan ot teh mindfuk film...
    Quote Originally Posted by Dolemite
    I hear Balrog's moveset includes the Fried Chicken Right Cross, The Watermelon Wipeout Punch, and the Welfare Blaster.
    I SWEAR IF YOU BITCH ABOUT TWINSTICKS I WILL BREAK MY FOOT OFF IN YOUR ASS