Page 1 of 11 1235 ... LastLast

Thread: Favorite cartoon comedies

1. Favorite cartoon comedies

We all like us some cartoons, right? So give your opinion of your favorite cartoon series (omfg originalz!1 )! Include any cartoon comedy series you want, but we're talkin' cartoons only here, no anime.

Family Guy: I love Family Guy, though sadly my fondness for the show stems from only a little more than a half dozen eps I've caught on Adult Swim, which I always seem to miss. FG's unpredictability becomes strangely predictable after only a few shows, but it still never fails to crack me up.

Futurama: Basically the same story as FG, only caught about a half dozen eps on Adult Swim, but I love the show. It doesn't seem to have as many spit-out-your-drink laughs as FG, but it definitely has Groening's magic touch (a mold that FG itself seems to have taken a ran with even moreso than Futurama, ironically enough), and is still a very good show on it's own merit, imo. I've been trying to pick of Season 1 of this or FG for a few weeks with my credit at GameStop, but it doesn't seem like they're ever going to get more in

Aqua Teen Hunger Force: I really love ATHF, the absurdity and bizarrness just tickle my sense of humor like little other, with the insane characters and situations to the completely out-of-nowhere dialog, my only complaint is that they're more like shorts than full sized episodes

Spongebob Squarepants: Spongebob, though not quite in the same league of insanity as ATHF, still fits in that great bizarre style of humor to me. Even with the limitations of being a Nickalodeon show, it's amazing some of the stuff they pull off on the show, not only in the fact that it actually gets aired on the channel, but that they're able to do it all while still having something there that makes the show so popular with children (or maybe it just says something about me.. ). I'm actually wearing my Spongebob boxers at this very moment, too

So what are everyone's favorite cartoon comedies? You don't have to limit them to Adult Swim or Fox or whatever, if you thought Scooby Doo was funny back in the day (in which case, however, go kill yourself), post it.
    Buy Yakuza and Oblivion. Help yourself, help TNL.

Well, as far as primetime cartoons go, my favorites are Futurama, The Critic and the Simpsons. I don't feel that Family Guy is as well written as the rest, though I will watch it and laugh. Well, does new Simpsons suck more than Family Guy? I'm going to say yes, because that was an incredible show that went to shit, while FG is was just always pleasantly mediocre.

Cartoon Network stuff, I like Dexter, PPG, Sealab and Space Ghost CTC. Cartoon Planet and the ATHF can bite my nuts.

I'm not a huge fan of the anime... but I really like Cowboy Bebop, and Eva (except for the end).

The best children's show out there is easily Disney's Recess. Excellent writing, voice talent, and animation. I also love Spongebob... I'm a sucker for his merchandise. There have been witnesses to my wearing of Spongebob boxers =X Top notch stuff. I also enjoy Jackie Chan. That might be it, but I always leave tons of things out in my lists.
    HA! HA! I AM USING THE INTERNET!!1
    My Backloggery

3. these days, i'm very into home movies. amazing voice acting. coach mc gurk is one of my favorite character ever. i know there are a few psychotics here that hate the show, but they're retarded commie-nazis.

edit: i like spongebob squarepants whenever i manage to see it (very rarely.)

and in case anyone's unaware, ed, edd and eddie is the worst show in the universe.

edit edit: space ghost rox. the last episode (with triumph) was great.

4. Yeah, I was going to include Simpsons, but I honestly haven't watched new episodes in years, so I really can't comment about it anymore. Sad how the mighty have fallen, really. I like Dexter (preferably the older style), PPG, and Space Ghost (+ Brak Show) a lot too, haven't seen enough Sealab to judge though.

The Brak Show can eat my ass with a spoon.
    HA! HA! I AM USING THE INTERNET!!1
    My Backloggery

6. Well it's definitely no SG:CTC, but the few eps I've seen were entertaining enough.

7. Futurama owns everyone - but I also had a penchant for the small amount of Space Ghost Coast to Coast I watched when I still had satellite... man, those were the good days, come home from work and watch that shit- man.... *cries*
    Commentaries and Opinions on Metal

8. All the williams st cartoons are great.

I'd take family guy over Simpsons and Futurama any day.

There isn't much else to add beyond what's already been said.

9. Family Guy kills me just about every episode I manage to catch. Futurama is funny, but not Laugh-out-loud funny. Family Guy just ahs that outrageous, unpredictable, extremely random (and random references) vibe going for it. And I love that type of humor.

SGCTC is and always will be one of my favorite Cartoon Network creations. The Brak Show, while not quite as funny overall, is great too. I just love me some Brak (as if my Avatar didn't give it away. ) Sealab 2021 also kills me. ATHF is just WAAAAY too random for its own good, IMHO. There just seems to be no rhyme or reason for anything that happens, and it's a lot harder to follow than any of the aforementioned shows. Still it can be very funny at times. Home Movies is great too.

As for anime, I loved Golden Boy. God that show was hella funny. I wish there were more than six episodes. I think my favorite single scene was in ep. 4 when he teaches/takes swimming classes. After floundering in the water almost drowning to death, he puts on this victorious stance and asks the head instructor "So......how'd you like my swimming?" I nearly cried my eyes out, and had to pause it for like five minutes to recooperate.

I also love Love Hina. Total random violence. Keitaro gets beaned every ep, what more could you want? Lastly, Ranma 1/2. I still need to catch the entire series. It's one of my favorite anime.

10. Futurama - I've loved the show since it's inception, although Fox's odd airings of it made it hard to keep up with, thankfully, AS now allows me to see the eps I missed.

Aqua Teen Hunger Force - No shock here, I've loved the show for a year and a half, although the third season stuff is way more hit or miss than the previous two seasons.

Mission Hill - Great characters, funny dialogue, and just a fantastic show all-around.

the Oblongs - See above

Family Guy - Kind of hollow compared to Futurama, but still pretty funny.

the Simpsons - I'm glad the show is back to balancing comedy with actual drama, as it tends to bring out the best in the show. The show itself was at it's worst point when it was nothing but gags.
    matthewgood fan
    lupin III fan