Thread: yesasia.com and Overseas Version

1. yesasia.com and Overseas Version

Websites like www.yesasia.com list music cds as having Japanese versions and Overseas versions - what does Overseas version mean ?? Hong Kong bootleg or what ??

- Kabuki

2. Re: yesasia.com and Overseas Version

Originally posted by kabuki
    Websites like www.yesasia.com list music cds as having Japanese versions and Overseas versions - what does Overseas version mean ?? Hong Kong bootleg or what ??

- Kabuki
    Well I know for HK DVDs, it usually means that they are Region All and are tailored for an English speaking audience. So there will be subtitles etc. Overseas doesn't necessarily mean bootleg at all, though I don't know what the distinction would be for regular Cds. Possibly the packaging would contain English?
    "50,000! You scored 50,000 points on Double Dragon?"

3. Yeah, I was wondering the same thing. They have dvds specified as US version, and I always wanted to know what that means.

4. Re: yesasia.com and Overseas Version

- Kabuki
    Bootleg. Son May and Everanime are a couple of the biggest culprits. Also 99% of HK anime dvds are bootleg. There are only a handful of legit HK discs, mainly Jin Roh and SOME of the Ghibli movies.

5. Re: Re: yesasia.com and Overseas Version

Originally posted by nabeshin

Bootleg. Son May and Everanime are a couple of the biggest culprits. Also 99% of HK anime dvds are bootleg. There are only a handful of legit HK discs, mainly Jin Roh and SOME of the Ghibli movies.
    This is for j-pop cds, not anime cds. Does the same apply ?? I didn't think SM and EverAnime did regular music cds...

- Kabuki

6. Re: Re: Re: yesasia.com and Overseas Version

This is for j-pop cds, not anime cds. Does the same apply ?? I didn't think SM and EverAnime did regular music cds...

- Kabuki
    I think they do. I can't come to a conclusion based off that site though. I saw some "overseas version" that were from EMI, Avex Trax, etc. and some that say just "SM", which I assumed to be Son May. I'm not an expert in j-pop by any means, so all I can say is if authenticity is important to you get the official japanese version.

7. don't get bootlegs and overseas versions mixed up. at least not with yesasia.

overseas versions of jpop cds are cds that are released in HK at a much more cheaper, affordable price. if a jpop cd doesn't say overseas next to it and instead says "japanese version", it's a cd originally released japan with a heftier price tag. the only thing mainly different between the two is that an overseas release will have a lyric insert written in chinese. so either way you go, you get the same exact thing... just that one is cheaper.