Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: how did the the 3 Dragon Quest games on SNES compare to the 3 Finall fantasy games..

1. how did the the 3 Dragon Quest games on SNES compare to the 3 Finall fantasy games..

Final fantasy 4,5,6 on SNES were all KILLER rpgs

BUT in Japan, Dragon Quest games on SNES outsold them all, was that because of brand name or was it that they were maybe ACTUAL better then the classic SNES FF games??
    so anyone ever actually play th SNES Dragon Quest games?
    I know the graphics looked better in DQ then in FF back then from the screens!?

I was thinking that if they were equal or better then FF4-6 then it would be insane for most of us to never have played them

also...WHY IN THE HELL WAS THE DQ GAMES ON SNES NEVER RELEASED WHEN THE FF ONES WERE
    http://www.bioweapons.com/images/GN3Guyvers.jpg

Most OVERRATED videogame of ALL Time

-GTA3

"Well, I have lots of impressions about the PS2 (smiles)...if you turn off that recorder I'll tell you some things (laughter)"
    -AM2's Yu Suzuki

2. I played DF5 briefly, it was alright. I couldnt read Japanese worth a crap then, so I didnt play it for long....
    TeamGO!
    Project Raven Discussion
    http://pub66.ezboard.com/bteamgo
    Come sign up on TeamGo's boards. Express what you think TeamGo's game should be like.

3. dragon quest is extremely popular in japan. it always outsells final fantasy no matter how good the FF game might be. there were more than 3 dragon quest games on the superfamicom. there was a re-realease of part 1 and 2 on one cartridge, part 5, 6, and a re-release of part 3. i really have NO idea why enix didn't at least release dragon quest 5 in the states. if i remember corectly they hadn't closed up shop here yet, an' they were still puttin' out games. pluss dragon warrior had a pretty strong folowing anyway so i don't think it would have been bad for them to release it. by the time dragon quest 6 came out enix had already closed up in north america. i was really pissed when this happened. not only did we miss out on the dragon quest titles, but also techi sozo (terranigma in europe) the sequal to soul blazer and illusion of gia. i've played through some of dragon quest 5 and i don't really think it was better than final fantasy 4-5. the only reason i'm listing FF4-5 together is that there was only 1 dragon quest game to take those two on at the time. but of course it sold bajillions in japan just 'cause it was dragon quest. now if you wanna compare FF6 to DQ6....that's a lil harder for me to decide on. they were both beutiful in the graphics and sound departments....and the stories for both games were very well writen. i think DQ6 beats out FF6 'cause of the whole class change system it had goin'. that added tons of replay value to that game and made the game last allot longer as well. the re-release of DQ3 sold allot as well. it had DQ 6's graphics and sound, but still pretty much the same game on the nes. uh....hm....i'm starting to get a lil angry.....we got dragon warrior 7, and the re-release of part 4 was suposed to be released here in the states with DW 7's graphics and sound quality but it was canceled. argh! ........i think i'm done.

4. DAMN

hasn't anyone on the net tried to translate a ROM of DQ5 or 6??

didn't some ppl do that with FF4?
    I guess those ppl are square only fanboys who did it

-GTA3

"Well, I have lots of impressions about the PS2 (smiles)...if you turn off that recorder I'll tell you some things (laughter)"
    -AM2's Yu Suzuki

5. i've only seen partial translations here and there, and they all kinda suck.

6. Originally posted by WTFer420
    DAMN

hasn't anyone on the net tried to translate a ROM of DQ5 or 6??

didn't some ppl do that with FF4?
    I guess those ppl are square only fanboys who did it
    Link to DQ5 translation patch. As far as I know, its either 100% done or 99% with a few quirks here and there, but as far as I know, its completed. And it took them three years to do it! Wow...

http://donut.parodius.com/snes/patch..._dq5e_v201.zip

DQ6 is presently about 70% done, I won't link to that since the game isn't finished or virtually finished yet, but their working on it

Oh, and BTW, there were only 2 Super Famicom Dragon Warrior games, man. The first four were on regular Famicom/Nintendo and made their way Stateside. Then the old Enix of America died while they were translating 5 for release here and didn't come back to life until after the SNES was dead and 7 was nearing completion on PSX. Its a shame that we missed out on the two 16-bit parts
    omg TNL epics!

- Long -

Since for the DQ side, the only SFC DQ game I don't own is I.II Remix I think I can speak for this, also having seen the FF SFC games throughout their existances here and owning FF3/6 at one point.

DQ5 / FF5
    This was the second FF title for the SFC whereas Enix just got done with FC DQ4 about a year prior. By the time DQ5 was released it looked barely better than an NES game outside of the better parallax, and was slow as hell (character movement, text speed). However, DQ5 did have a very unorthodox story that had you playing generations of characters within the game and within the trilogy that it was placed (Tenku trilogy); hence many players really enjoyed the story. This title is unique in the DQ line as it's the last DQ to have stationary monsters in battle (as opposed to the animations which they still use today), it's the only DQ title where character sprites had their head turn to face speakers to the side (looks sorta freaky sometimes), also the only DQ to feature weather patterns for outdoor random battles. Mosters wers able to join the party, but there was a three-character party limit for battles.

I popped in DQ5 just now to check on things and it feels slow as ever, and looks VERY strange for a DQ game. I might get to this, eventually...

DQ6 / FF6
    This is a more heated debate and deservedly so; by now Enix has picked up some slack on the SFC programming and made 6 considerably quicker and prettier. Both of these titles are among the best representations of what the essence of these series are.

DQ6 had strong character design, a huge story, animated battle sequences, good music, job classes for everyone, monsters in battle with you, cameos, extras... it had everything a DQ game should have and then some. I played the living hell out of DQ6, and didn't stop playing until I finally finished all possible things to do (outside of the Small Medal crap that I never do (which is why I can't 100% DQ7, thank you very fuggin much Enix ;_). I probably spent about 300 hours on it total, to be honest.

Also a note of remixes/ports:
    Where Square handled the FF titles more as ports with FMV added, when Enix remade the FC games for the SFC (1-3), they really were redone games. I'm playing through DQ3 Remix right now, which is the last SFC title they made and it shows. There's plenty of nice details to notice, the sprites look arguably better than the DQ7 sprites do, new story things and other mini-game additions, etc. They really do remake the game as opposed to just touching it up. From what I could tell this is the same as what happened with DQ4 using the DQ7 engine. I'll probably find out if I can do so cheaply enough... I have time

Were the DQ games better than the FF games... eh, yeah and no, depending upon which style of RPG you preferred. I will say that through the DQ series, the line shows more of a process of accumulation and refinement as opposed to the FF tradition of having substantial gameplay alterations between each title.

I know which approach I prefer.

8. Originally posted by rama
    i really have NO idea why enix didn't at least release dragon quest 5 in the states.
    I followed the DQ5 translation patch project for a long time, and from what I understand, the reason it took so long (and so much work) to finish was because parts of the game had to be re-programmed. The original code of DQ5 had bugs and errata in it, but the Japanese text was programmed around those errors. Needless to say, inputting the English text where the Jap used to be just didn't work without some modifications to the engine.

What I'm getting at is that Enix of America had their work cut out for them with a US release of DQ5 due to the technical problems described above. They gave up on that game and instead focused on a localization of DQ6, but closed their offices in mid-project.

For those of us praying for a "Dragon Warrior Anthology" of DQ5 & 6, it seems highly unlikely. Now that Enix has cancelled DW4r, their fate is sealed, and their offices will close again unless they redeem themselves. The DQ/DW series just doesn't sell here in the US like it does in Japan. The video game industry nowadays is geared towards the casual gamer, and casual gamers aren't willing to invest 100+ hours side-questing and levelling-up. The handheld DW games sold well, but I don't see a future for the series on current or next-gen consoles.

With that said, I hope the DQ6 patch is a good one, because that's the only way we're gonna be able to play it in English.

9. Its all good, bet i didnt miss a thing.

10. That sucks ass
    I remember when the NES Dragon Warrior games were always mentioned more & in a higher class then the Final fantasy games

RPGS sell well here why won't those dumbasses at enix bring there most popular franchise in their history over here?

-GTA3

-AM2's Yu Suzuki