Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12346 ... LastLast

Thread: Playing PC games on the TV

1. People, please.. READ THE POST.

He wants MAME.

I know for a fact MAME looks excellent through Svideo. Think about it -- they were designed to be shown on standard monitors. Not PC monitors.

Anyway, you can't get new 800MHz PCs anymore. If you want to go low, try an Athlon XP 1800+ ($50). Mid-range could be something like an Athlon XP 2500+ ($90). Then you've got the motherboard to consider. Regardless, I suggest you go faster than the lowest available, otherwise you'll find out you can't play the newest games six months down the line.

Before we go any further, let's look at form-factor. It sounds like you want a component for your entertainment setup. Check this out: Shuttle XPC small form-factor PC. $200. It's very small, with most components on-board. Yes, it does have S-video for the integrated video card. If you want to play more recent PC games, you will probably have to get a better card (I recommend the ATI Radeon 9600 XT, $200. It might fit in this case. ); this will be fine for MAME though. It looks like it can take DDR400 RAM, and it's got Serial ATA connections for future upgradability.

IM me (AIM: Lhadatt) if you want more detail. I hope this gives you another option to look at.

2. Lhadatt, you need to cut back on the caffeine. Your context above is doesn't need all that boldface ranting

3. Quote Originally Posted by bahn
    Your context above is doesn't need all that boldface ranting
    Is that Dutch?
    Quote Originally Posted by Yoshi View Post
    burgundy is the only conceivable choice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drewbacca View Post
    I have an Alcatraz-style all-star butthole.

4. Anyway, you can't get new 800MHz PCs anymore. If you want to go low, try an Athlon XP 1800+ ($50)
    You know it's time to get a new box when the cheapest CPU you can buy is faster than the one you're using.

5. An X-Box.

6. Quote Originally Posted by MVS
    An X-Box.
    The more economical solution, even if you do pay someone else to do the mod. Put Linux, MAME, OpenOffice, etc. on there and you can do everything a PC can. Except slower.

Quote Originally Posted by bahn
    Lhadatt, you need to cut back on the caffeine. Your context above is doesn't need all that boldface ranting
    They should learn to read. Most of the responses didn't catch on that he's into classic arcade stuff more than modern PC gaming.

Quote Originally Posted by diffusionx
    You know it's time to get a new box when the cheapest CPU you can buy is faster than the one you're using.
    Tell me about it. I just swapped out a 1400Mhz for a 2500+. Even then, the RAM cost more than the processor (but then I did have to get the fancy dual channel stuff, so it evens out).

7. They should learn to read.
    You know as well as I do that that's not an option.

8. Quote Originally Posted by MVS
    An X-Box.
    Melf should listen to and belive this news. It'll do what you need it to do.
    o_O

9. http://www.mini-itx.com

You should check this site out for some ideas, if you're concerned about space and noise. A regular PC will do the job too, but would likely seem out of place next to your entertainment setup.

10. Thanks for all the help guys! Modding my Xbox seems like a viable option as well. I've heard that the Mech Assault and Splinter Cell mods don't affect your ability to play Live. Is this true?

Lhadatt, I'll IM you this evening. Thanks a bunch for the info.