Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 123457 ... LastLast

Thread: Playing PC games on the TV

1. I use a low-end converter box ($50) I bought years ago- PC images look fugly. However, MAME, NeorageX, Callus, and Stepmania look excellent.

Just don't run any PC games and you'll be fine...

2. I have a P3 600 I was given (had a flaky stick of ram, owner gave up on it) I run in my home theatre with the el-crappo trident video card it came with via- S-Video, the crappy sound care/modem combo it came with and I use it to play Mp3s, and MAME.

Works great for both purposes. I do plan on finding a better Sound card, hopefully with spdif coax or optical out.
    “The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, you know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.” -George Carlin

3. If the primary objective is to play MAME in a way that looks more like the originals on a "TV" type display instead of a VGA display, try an Arcade VGA card from Ultimarc.com

You will need a SCART TV, an RGB monitor (amiga, arcade, or other), or a regular TV paired with an RGB to NTSC converter. Any of the above options can be had for under $200.

I use the Arcade VGA with my DDR cab's RGB monitor. I swear that with the better emulators (with v-sync) you cannot tell the emulation apart from the arcade orriginal.

4. You don't need to settle for 800MHz.

http://store.yahoo.com/computer-factory/supersaver.html

Computer Factory has this computer for $289, with WinXP Home being an additional $99. It's got a 2700+ AMD processor. If you're emulating, then its 256 MB should suffice for nearly any game MAME etc. can do.

I'm not sure if the included video card has S-Video out, however.

5. Quote Originally Posted by Melf
    Thanks for all the help guys! Modding my Xbox seems like a viable option as well. I've heard that the Mech Assault and Splinter Cell mods don't affect your ability to play Live. Is this true?
    Any current modchips will allow you to disable the chip as needed, leaving your 'box Live-compatible.

However, the Xbox is seriously crippled when it comes to being a MAME device. It has great difficulty playing any large ROMs, some of which you will miss since they're pretty cool. Also, the Xbox emulators aren't quite as well-developed as the PC ones, and don't have nearly as many options for gameplay. Getting a cheap PC with a TV out card probably won't cost too much more, and it'll be a lot more versatile in the long run.

The biggest bonus of an Xbox, of course, is that it also lets you play Xbox gaes.

6. Go with a PC...it works as a handy music storage integrated into your home soundsystem.
    your mom

7. You can run your PC on a television, using the Dreamcast's VGA box. The one made my performance has an S-Video out (Plus RCA video and sound), to run your PC on a television.

8. You could run MAME just fine on a low-end PC built for $300-350. Just set the desktop resolution to 640x480, and turn all the fonts way up to be readable. I've done it this way and it works great. Throw in a USB controller adaptor and you can use a console-based arcade stick (such as the Pelican Real Arcade) to play your games.

Alternately, you could buy a pre-modded Xbox console brand new for roughly $280 shipped. The base 8GB Hard Drive would be roomy enough to store tons of MAME stuff on it, and you would probably get a better picture. As long as you don't upgrade the HDD, a switchable mod would still allow you access to Xbox Live. It's probably your cheapest, easiest bet overall.

9. Quote Originally Posted by Lhadatt
    Before we go any further, let's look at form-factor. It sounds like you want a component for your entertainment setup. Check this out: Shuttle XPC small form-factor PC. $200. It's very small, with most components on-board. Yes, it does have S-video for the integrated video card. If you want to play more recent PC games, you will probably have to get a better card (I recommend the ATI Radeon 9600 XT, $200. It might fit in this case. ); this will be fine for MAME though. It looks like it can take DDR400 RAM, and it's got Serial ATA connections for future upgradability.
    That's pretty darn slick. I might have to pick one of those up, even though I just built a MAME cab 6 months ago, it would be nice to play sitting on my couch sometime. If I could simply by a USB Hotrod or something I would be sold. I don't know if I want to drop the money (or alternativly the time) I would need to build 2+ aracade controllers that would have USB.

10. I have plenty of PC's lying around, and since everyone seems to think M.A.M.E looks good through S-Video on a T.V ill give it a go.

Good thing MAME looks good as everything else looks like blurry crap...

Ill use my P3 733mhz/256mb ram/40gig HD that just sitting here for the project.

If I can play TMNT,Simpsons, Final Fight on my T.V without getting a head ache then its on!