Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 4678

Thread: Playing PC games on the TV

1. Quote Originally Posted by gamevet
    You can run your PC on a television, using the Dreamcast's VGA box. The one made my performance has an S-Video out (Plus RCA video and sound), to run your PC on a television.
    Uh... what?

If that is true, then I just figured out how to get my old Mac running on my TV, an if that is true, then it also means that I love you.

Edit: Damnit, I should have read the rest of the thread first! I thought it sounded a bit fishy.

I hate you now, getting my hopes up like that. *cries*
    WARNING: This post may contain violent and disturbing images.

2. that was later debunked as false

3. Quote Originally Posted by Matt
    However, the Xbox is seriously crippled when it comes to being a MAME device. It has great difficulty playing any large ROMs, some of which you will miss since they're pretty cool. Also, the Xbox emulators aren't quite as well-developed as the PC ones, and don't have nearly as many options for gameplay. Getting a cheap PC with a TV out card probably won't cost too much more, and it'll be a lot more versatile in the long run.
    What kinds of games does the Xbox have trouble with? NeoGeo stuff? I'm looking to mod my Xbox, mostly for the "media center" type stuff, but would like to play a few games on it. Of course, most of those games will no doubt be NeoGeo stuff.
    WARNING: This post may contain violent and disturbing images.

4. Quote Originally Posted by shidoshi
    What kinds of games does the Xbox have trouble with? NeoGeo stuff? I'm looking to mod my Xbox, mostly for the "media center" type stuff, but would like to play a few games on it. Of course, most of those games will no doubt be NeoGeo stuff.
    I beleive huge ROMs like Garou do not run because of their size...can others confirm this?

Quote Originally Posted by Tonic the Drunkhog
    The thing I as wondering, is if you are able to convert the computer to component video on an HDTV, wouldn't the image look like the one on the computer monitor (ie not very good)? It seems like if you would convert it to interlaced component, then shouldn't look like an arcade monitors picture?

I guess what I'm trying to say is that if you take the computer output to progressive component won't it look like an upscanned image, and if you take it to interlaced component it will look good (ie arcade monitor image)?
    You are totally right and I am surprised no one else thought about this. I run my PC on my HDTV through its VGA input, thing looks decet enough with scan lines checked, but yes you are still getting 640 or 720 X 480 p images, so yes low res pixelates out the whazoo...now it would work fine in my non-HD Component port, but I still think overall it would be better to just go RGB at this point.

I need to do some more research on this, are there actual external converters that can take VGA to RGB?

Right now all my RGB connections are through custom Mac type 15 pin connections, so I would need to somehow figure this part of it out too.

ssb
    "50,000! You scored 50,000 points on Double Dragon?"

5. Quote Originally Posted by isamu
    gameover that is ineteresting. Can this be done in Windows 98SE by any chance?

Also, how much power/electricity is used while having your PC on standby?
    Standby puts the PC into a low power state. You can do it under Win98SE as well, I believe.

6. Quote Originally Posted by ssbomberman
    I beleive huge ROMs like Garou do not run because of their size...can others confirm this?
    Yep. Anything around 45MB and above won't be able to fit in the xbox ram, but that isn't that many games. You mentioned garou, also metal slug 3, newer KOF, etc.

I do think that recently someone did figure out a way to get it to work, but from what I recall this hasn't been included in any of the mainstream xbox emulators. People add more ram to the xbox, but thats a lot of work and probably not worth it in the long run.

Quote Originally Posted by ssbomberman
    ...now it would work fine in my non-HD Component port, but I still think overall it would be better to just go RGB at this point.

I need to do some more research on this, are there actual external converters that can take VGA to RGB?

Right now all my RGB connections are through custom Mac type 15 pin connections, so I would need to somehow figure this part of it out too.

ssb
    Thats cool that you have a non-hd component port in addition to the HD. Did you actually run it through the regular, non progressive component port yet? How did it look?

I don't know much about digital rgb (vga?) to analog rgb conversion, but if you want to go to vga to rgb then it seems like that converter would have to downscan it or something. I only have seen external that go from vga to component, and was curious in finding out if there external vga to rgb (analog 15khz). It seems like it would have to do less work. I wish matt or someone would explain this digital analog rgb thing.

Why do you want the external vga to rgb? You don't like the ultimarc card or powestrip?

7. Quote Originally Posted by Tonic the Drunkhog
    Yep. Anything around 45MB and above won't be able to fit in the xbox ram, but that isn't that many games. You mentioned garou, also metal slug 3, newer KOF, etc.

I do think that recently someone did figure out a way to get it to work, but from what I recall this hasn't been included in any of the mainstream xbox emulators. People add more ram to the xbox, but thats a lot of work and probably not worth it in the long run.

Thats cool that you have a non-hd component port in addition to the HD. Did you actually run it through the regular, non progressive component port yet? How did it look?

I don't know much about digital rgb (vga?) to analog rgb conversion, but if you want to go to vga to rgb then it seems like that converter would have to downscan it or something. I only have seen external that go from vga to component, and was curious in finding out if there external vga to rgb (analog 15khz). It seems like it would have to do less work. I wish matt or someone would explain this digital analog rgb thing.

Why do you want the external vga to rgb? You don't like the ultimarc card or powestrip?
    I don't have any type of Tv out, so I can't test it on non-progressive.

Well I want external just because I want to be able to basically leave the converter on the monitor and then not have to worry about things because I am going to get a new computer soon, but the ultimarc card is going to be my choice if I can't find an external one...but then I need a custom RGB cable too...so we'll see as I do research...
    "50,000! You scored 50,000 points on Double Dragon?"