Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Memories

1. Quote Originally Posted by Click_Stick
    Example: we're losing sight of our purpose [the residents have no idea what they're shooting at, but that's what their entire economy revolves around.]
    this is the one i got into my head when i watched. the people just kept on with their daily routines, but didn't seem to care at all about who they were going up against. they just knew that it was what they had to do. maybe the dad had some inkling of free thought as to questioning 'who', 'why' and 'what for', it looked like it at times. but it was just so vague!! it's like calling snow, "that really cold white stuff". it'll definitely take extra future viewings to get in some more of it though. it's really not something to get into right on the first viewing.

and for a fairly old title now, the quality of it still looks fantastic. the cg work was nicely done and the animation was pretty damn good. it's like Akira in that even though it's old, it still stands the test of time.

2. Great stuff.. hope to replace my old fansub soon with the new DVD.

You nailed it on the animation Ashen. It's of that rare breed - older, but at its peak. It ends up seeming kind of nostalgic, and yet you're still in awe by it.

As for Cannon Fodder, here’s what I think - If there was a definite controlling entity (some mega corporation.. politicos.. etc.) it would've lost its effect. As-is, you can apply the whole thing to many scenarios - that’s part of its beauty. Otherwise it would likely be seen as a warning against a singular thing (tyrannical companies/leaders/etc.), which is somewhat limiting, but more probably more “story”ish. In just showing the effects, however, it can be taken as a message not to lose scope or blindly fall into anything in life. Its message ends up more profound and is delivered in a clearer fashion than if they tried to both have a point and reveal more about the story.

It’s also nice in that, as Ashen said, you get a little more with each viewing.

3. Cannon Fodder didn't have much of a narative, I think the purpose of it was more of a vision of some 1984-ish world cooked up by Otomo then put onto film. Either that, or Otomo had an idea for an actual story and couldn't finish it in time Magnetic Rose was cool, but damn it was confusing. Of course, this is a story by Satoshi Kon we're talking about. As Cannon Fodder took elements from 1984, Magnetic Rose equally borrows from Solaris. Stink Bomb was just great, I loved the music and it's probably my favorite of the three.
    pwned by Ivan

4. Is this a box set of some kind? I'm really behind in the anime world.

On one hand it's great, so much to catch up on, but it's also quite daunting.

Anyone have a pic of the box?

5. Nah, it's a full feature film that itself is split into three parts. One disc. One movie.
    I've only seen Magnetic Rose so far, but if the rest of it is as good as that is, I'm gonna love it. I love its crazy creepiness.
    The part where Gustav's (or whatever his name is) daughter fell out of the cieling scared the shit out of my friend. I just thought it was funny.
    Great stuff, though.

6. Quote Originally Posted by ChaoofNee
    Nah, it's a full feature film that itself is split into three parts. One disc. One movie.
    I've only seen Magnetic Rose so far, but if the rest of it is as good as that is, I'm gonna love it. I love its crazy creepiness.
    The part where Gustav's (or whatever his name is) daughter fell out of the cieling scared the shit out of my friend. I just thought it was funny.
    Great stuff, though.

I passed it up today while at Best Buy and instead picked up Castle in The Sky. My girl goes for Ghibli films, so...

Guess this will have to wait a couple of weeks.

7. I just watched Magnetic Rose and can't wait for a second viewing. When was this film first made? The art and animation were fantastic.

Otomo's name is at the top of the box. What else has he done?